Author Topic: 4 month old cannot get past 30-40 minute naps  (Read 991 times)

Offline katie6494

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 month old cannot get past 30-40 minute naps
« on: April 28, 2016, 17:24:30 pm »
I am hoping some one could help me to get past the 30-40 minute nap

My 4 month old cannot get past 30-40 minutes napping. I have tried shortening & lengthening her awake time. One morning by accident it was lengthened and she slept for over 2 hours. I then tried this again and she wne tright back to 30 minutes. Shush pat does not work or maybe I am not doing it right.  I feed her right away when she gets up and if I let her she will fall asleep nursing and sleep on me for up to 2 hours plus. She typically falls asleep on her own for naps. I have tried feeding her again about 20 minutes before putting her down thinking she may be hungry. I keep a pretty consitent routine to put her down with reading, pulling the shades, putting her into her swaddle, some singing.
It seems that the naps get worse as the day goes on. 1st nap might be 40min and then shorten. I try to get in a 4th because they are so short and sometimes that does not work. I know she will sleep if she is on me and as much as I love it, I want her to be able to be down on her own.

At night she needs more help to fall asleep I often have to nurse her. She will go down btwn 8-8:30 and wake at 4 or 5 to feed and back asleep until about 7:45 or 8.

Any suggestions would be great.
Thank you!

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 4 month old cannot get past 30-40 minute naps
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 21:33:06 pm »
Hi there!  It sounds like you're making a great start of things and her nights sound really good and very typical for her age.  Has she previously napped for longer stretches?  If so, it's likely that she's simply in the short nap phase, a phase a lot of babies go through and for which there is very little you can do to change.  It's usually over within a couple of weeks to a month at best but it's a bit of tough go at the time.
I'm going to attach a great link below that was helpful to me at the time and you might find something helpful for you as well.
How Tracy Helped Josie and her Family Get Past 45-Min. Naps!

Offline katie6494

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 4 month old cannot get past 30-40 minute naps
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 23:53:20 pm »
Thank you for the reply. I will definitely look at the schedule they kept and try to apply it. Her naps have never been long, but typically every few days she would have a 2 plus hour nap and it has been over a week except if I let her sleep on me or we go for a walk.

This will be a good resource thank you!