Author Topic: 3.5 Year Old Sleep Shenanigans  (Read 793 times)

Offline FrankiesMom12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 28, 2016, 20:39:44 pm »
Hi All - I've finally accepted that my 3.5 year old has more or less dropped his nap.  (Oh, my broken heart.)  I'm really struggling with 2 things; however:

1. No matter what I do, the kid won't sleep past 6:15 am.  We try really hard to have him down by 7 pm, which is sometimes difficult because we have a 4.5 month old who also goes to bed between 6:30 pm - 7 pm and because of my husband's work schedule.  I'm just really struggling with the idea that my son (who was getting about 13-14 hours of sleep before dropping the nap) only needs about the 10.5 - 11 hours of sleep he's getting nightly.  He's also really dramatic lately and has a lot of melt-downs, and just seems very tired by the time 4:00 in the afternoon rolls around.

2.  Frankie also has a lot of sleep-time shenanigans.  We still enforce quiet time in the afternoon (maybe once a week he'll actually stll take a nap), and during this timeframe he tries to get up/out of his room A LOT.  Usually he says he has to go to the bathroom, but it's really just an excuse.  He will also do this in the morning when he wakes up, as we don't typically let him get up until about 7.

Do you have any advice for these two scenarios?  I know some of it is probably normal growth/development stuff and I just need to get through it, but in the meantime it's awfully frustrating, especially since he gets so dramatic/cranky!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 3.5 Year Old Sleep Shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 07:46:44 am »
Hi - some kids just are early risers. i understand why you want him to sleep longer but he is getting 11 hours sleep which is fair.

Have you tried a really early BT to catch up some sleep? Olly does tend to EW when he is OT and actually we are more likely to get a lie in if he gets an earlier night.

Have you got a gro-clock for the morning?