Author Topic: 12 week old - more NWs?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Tammyj

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 29, 2016, 13:06:31 pm »
Hello ladies!

I always get great advice in this forum, so I'm trying again with a new issue.

My DD is on a 3 hour EASY, although sometimes she might eat around 2.5 hours if her nap ends early.

From 4pm on here's her schedule:

4pm - feed
5:30 - nap
6/6:15 - wakeup
6:30 - bath
6:45/7 - bottle
7:30 - asleep

She may wake around 8:45, but her eyes are closed and it's easy to settle her with pacifier until she falls back into a deeper sleep. 

I do a dream feed at 10:15/10:30.

Here are the hard parts:

She always wakes at 1:15-2am, and I feed her a full feed and diaper change.
She usually wakes again around 4am for a semi full feed. BUT just this past week she's been waking up around 3:20am (like clockwork) grunting (she is a gassy baby), but not really awake.  I end up feeding her early and it's not a full feed. If I don't, it's a LOT of noise in the wee hours.

After the 3:30/4am feed I will usually place her in swing to get some sleep for both her and I.

I wake her between 7 and 7:30 and she doesn't seem to take a full feed.

I go back to work Monday and she seems a bit worse off with the sleep.  I also can't tell if the DF is doing anything for her since she's still waking?  Should I try a different time? There was ONE day (not repeated) where her DF was at 11:10pm and she didn't wake until 3... But 11 is kind of late for us.

I'm so tired I can't think straight... LOL. All advice welcome!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 13:37:42 pm by Tammyj »

Offline Tammyj

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 13:07:59 pm »
Two more things -

She has also fought the last (4th) catnap so I think she may be ready to drop that and bring bedtime up. 

Is this all the 12 week growth spurt or (GASP!) have I not even seen the signs of that yet?

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 12 week old - more NWs?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 19:24:42 pm »
Hi there!
If you don't feel like it's the 4month sleep regression maybe it's not:) Let's hope x
It would really help to see the full day. Do you think you could write that down for me?

Is she FF, BF or mixed? I want to make sure.

If she wakes up more at night, It might be that she needs more calories during the day. Does she take full feeds? How many oz? Is she emptying the bottles?

This is only my personal opinion, because my DS was never a DF baby. If you DF at 10:30 that 2 am feeding is normal. When it comes to the other one, maybe it's better she eats at 3:20, because she can take full feed at WU. What do you think?

If you dropp the DF it will most likely look like this:
7 feed
00-1:00 full feed
3:00 feed
7:00 full feed
So it won't change much. But it's just my guessing. It's up to you what you wanna do.

Are you saying she used to wake up once at night or she has trouble falling asleep after that other feed?

Offline Tammyj

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 22:31:44 pm »
Hi there,

Thank you for your quick reply!

She is EBF.  Being 12 weeks, I think it's too soon for the 4 month regression right?

Here's her schedule:

7/7:30 wake and feed
8:30 nap - she's fussy and goes down pretty quick

9:30/10 wake and feed
11:15 or so nap

12:30 or so wake and feed
2 nap

3:45 wake and feed
5:15/5:30 nap

6 wake and feed (I try to tank her up)
6:30 start bedtime
Asleep by 7:30

Wakes usually around 8:45 but easily settles with pacifier

DF at 10/10:15

Wakes at 1:15 and feed
Wakes at 3:30/4 and feed

Starts all over at 7/7:30 when I wake her

She takes full feeds at 1:15, and semi full at 3:30/4am and 7am

I guess I'm wondering if the DF is helping at all.  I can't tell and am not an expert.  I'm ok with 2 NWs, but I thought the point of the DF is to cut back NWs?

She goes back to sleep easily after each NW, but I sit with her to elevate her for a bit so I'm up for an hour.  I start back at work Monday and am trying to strategize LOL.

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 12 week old - more NWs?
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 19:24:54 pm »
Hi and sorry for late reply:(

I think it all looks good. Notice that she has longer naps when her A time is a little longer. Her afternoon nap is almost 2h after 1.5h A time. Maybe you could try aiming for that in the morning?

When she is 12w 2 feeds at night is perfectly normal. I don't think there is anything that can be done in this matter. I think that there shouldn't be anything. She is still little :)
About DF, you said that 11pm is too late for you and there is a chance that you're preventing it to happen by feeding at 10. If you're fine with what's going on right now, I wouldn't touch it really:/

NW are different thing. Is she waking frequently at night besides these times for feeding?