Author Topic: 17 week old (4 month) getting naps right to help with night time sleep  (Read 1116 times)

Offline oogie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I've noticed the last week and a bit my daughter can stay awake for longer than before which fits with her age. But she is awful at sleeping at night. I used to give her a dreamfeed and she would only wake up once and then we would start our day at 7. She now wakes up at least 3 times and wants to start her day at half 6. She usually ends up with a really long morning nap but the other naps are really short. Here is how our days are now going:
6:30am wake up and feed. Play.
8:30am/8:45am goes for her first nap
11am/11:30am wake up and feed. Play
1pm/1:30pm goes for her second nap
1:45pm/2:15pm wakes up from second nap and feeds. Play
From there her naps are all over the place. I let her nap when she shows signs of tiredness as she stop being able to do as much time awake.
7:15pm bed time routine bath, feed, story. Asleep between 7:45pm and 8pm

She wakes up just after 10 for a feed. Then feeds at 2am, 4am, 6:30am.

When she wakes up early from her second nap, I try to rock the moses basket, but she jsut seems giddy. She is wrapped up but manages to get her arms out. She tries really hard to get them out. I usually resort to putting her in a swing which occasionally allows her to nap slightly longer.
I know her morning nap is far too long but I feel bad wake her up as obviously she needs the rest. But then the second nap is so short it should cancel it out. Should I be trying to wake her up earlier from her morning nap? Will that help sort the rest of her naps and nightime? Is there any other advice I need to know? I'm trying to do the 4 hour EASY sleep routine which I think she should be fine with.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 14:01:29 pm by oogie »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

Sorry to see you didn’t have any replies from the community yet. This post will bump your post up the board.  I'm sure you will get some responses very soon, hang in there.

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Hi and welcome,  sorry you've been waiting a few days for a reply.

4 months is a really tricky time for naps and night sleep (hence the term "4 month sleep regression") and is often the time routines and nights all go a bit crazy.

2hrs A time sounds about right for her age, as you say, and you're getting a good first nap with that.
It does sound like she's a little under tired for the second nap, hence the 45min nap & "giddy" on waking but then getting OT because of short sleep for the rest of the day.

Have you tried capping the first nap slightly e.g. Waking her after 2hrs? She might then take a longer nap around 12.30 and you could then fit in a short catnap late afternoon to tide her over to bedtime?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD