Author Topic: colic?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Dudenhoeffer

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 30, 2016, 04:56:40 am »
what to do about colic...if anything. 4 weeks and a few days old. crying from 9 pm 'til 11:30 pm. dont know how to search topics

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 09:50:45 am »
Hi, there is nothing you can do about collic. Infacol, gripe water you can get anti collic stuff from pharmacy. It takes time to show amy improvement though, you will need at least 3-4 days, sometimes you need to try 3,4 different things. Baby massage also can help. There is small chance that nothing will help. She/he will need loads of cuddles, my DD1 and DD2 both suffered and monkey hold got us through. It will be over by the time they are 4 months old. I know it is a long time, but made sure you have as much help as you can get and take turns. Invest in ear plugs it helps.
Good luck, hth!

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 10:31:14 am »
Is baby unhappy during the rest of the day?  If not, then I would say that many tiny babes will have an unsettled period in the evening such as you describe.  There are two main possiblities: baby wants to cluster feed or baby is OT.  I've had both scenarios! For LO1, we had a few days of being completely at our wits end, but eventually realised he wanted to feed, on and off, for a few hours, and then go to sleep.  Normal behaviour for a BF baby aroud 4-6 weeks, and nothing for me to do but sit down with lots of biscuits and plenty to drink and do it.  For my LO2 what really helped was getting things very calm and into a nice routine around that time. So I started to do BT feed in her (my) bedroom and help her to relax and unwind and go to sleep.  Honestly, that was the one thing I changed and we went from 2-3 hours of upset to going to sleep quietly around 7-8pm in the bedroom.  Babies acculumate tiredness over the day, and that's why sometimes they have this crazy period in the evening.

If baby is upset/unsettled during the day too, then you need to think about whether (s)he needs you to do something different with feeds. 

Crying is communication so see if you can work out what baby is trying to tell you. 

HTH.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Dudenhoeffer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 13:39:31 pm »
I have been trying to do EASY from the beginning and trying to put our daughter down before she's asleep with out rocking and other props (of course grandma visiting and the occasional visitor make that less frequent). We use a nuk. I feel like I'm not very good at this. She often takes 40-60 mins before she settles for a nap. She'll be yawning the whole time. I try to swaddle her when she yawns and put her down when her eyes start getting heavy. Sometimes...I do have success on the first try...but not a lot. After ~20 mins of squirming and sucking on the nuk with noise I change her diaper and try again. Otherwise during the day she is a happy baby.
I have realized that her bassinet was in a room with lots of stuff (but not lots of activity) so I have moved her to our bedroom hoping that's a little more boring.
We have tried gripe water. I don't think it worked.
We have a 2 year old that I discovered the baby whisperer with when she was 6 months. I really believe in the baby whisperer but I feel like I'm not very good at her methods. Our 2 year old and I have made it through and we have a good relationship but man, those first months were rough. She had colic too. Makes me thing I do something wrong during the day.
Will try cluster feeding at 6 and 8 ish. Would it be something I initiate and she doesn't?
Thank you for your advice. Any more thoughts on what I need to do differently are appreciated. My husband says he doesn't mind the crying- its my emotional state that's a problem to him  :P I can't stand the crying. I listened to it all with our first one. Which I guess technically means I could stand it again.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 14:15:44 pm by Dudenhoeffer »

Offline Dudenhoeffer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 10:48:09 am »
We are colic free for 2 nights!!!
However, I have fallen into the trap of rocking our baby to sleep for the past two days. I am not happy that i have started this but around here everyone says you have to rock your baby to sleep or nurse them etc until 3 months.
Oh help me (prayers appreciated). Even my husband thinks we just have to rock her to sleep. I feel like for the sake of my marriage I might have to just suffer through it for another 7 weeks.

Offline weaver

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 10:57:49 am »
We are colic free for 2 nights!!!
YAY!!!! What changed I wonder?

I have fallen into the trap of rocking our baby to sleep for the past two days. I am not happy that i have started this but around here everyone says you have to rock your baby to sleep or nurse them etc until 3 months.
Don't beat yourself up about this. Here's why
(1) she's only 4 weeks old still very tiny. I'm a firm believer in the 4th trimester, that the first three months 'out here' are a massive transition, and that baby needs to be supported through it.  She's probably not ready to do certain things yet.  A wee snuggle won't harm anyone and obviously helps. No harm, and easy enough to wean rocking.  You just rock for less and less time, and snuggle for more time. If you're feeling bad because you think it's not BW then please don't.  BW is about listening to your baby, what you are doing is probably close to the 4S sleep ritual, you can tweak it as she gets bigger.  Some parents here recommend the 5S system for tiny ones and it includes rocking ;)  In a nutshell, I agree with your husband!
(2) you have your 2 yo to look after too.  Didn't realise that from your first post but with a 2yo and a nb, you need to cut yourself some slack and do what works for everyone.  At 4 wo (5 wo), I would expect feeding to sleep, carrying to sleep (my LO2 spent a lot of time dozing on my shoulder), etc.  It's great that she's sleeping.  Do you have a sling? With a 2 yo around, I would heartily recommend getting one, then you'll be mobile, LO2 will sleep and LO1 will get some attention.  With two at those ages, it is impossible (for 99 per cent of babies, I would say) that you will get every nap in a cot/crib.  We would have been doing very well at 4wo to get ONE in the cot! 

Remember that BW is supposed to be a tool for you rather than to make you feel bad because you're not 'doing it right'.  You have a big job to do to look after those two children, so take it easy on yourself.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline weaver

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 11:02:41 am »
Oh and have a look over here too
And then there were two...

Offline Dudenhoeffer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 11:54:57 am »
thank you- i have been beating myself up. I thought the two practices were mutually exclusive. I like 4th trimester and BW.
maybe God just answered my prayers to take away the colic but after 2 evenings of cluster feeding the colic didn't happen. hope it keeps not happening.