Author Topic: Under or overtired? Can't nail down A time!  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Mjh2mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Under or overtired? Can't nail down A time!
« on: May 01, 2016, 15:43:25 pm »
I posted a separate post about needing to increase my son's (20 weeks) A time. My issue is, I've been toying with his A time so much, that I don't know where to start from with the slow increasing. I also think he's in one of those times where he's making a big jump in A time!

So, I've been putting him down for his first nap usually between 1hr-1hr 20. Yesterday I PD ar 1hr 30 and today 1hr45. As of late his naps of shortened and his behavior Has changed. He almost always falls asleep within a few minutes, so thus I assumed he couldn't be UT-- but is that not true? He will either fall asleep quickly or appear to fall asleep quickly but toss and turn every few min the whole nap (or a majority of it). He will then wake happy/quiet and will often fall back asleep but only 5-10min and will wake fussying from that one and not go back to sleep. Is this UT? I'm starting to think so as he keeps waking happy initially?

just curious what others' babies have done with UT (I've always thought they just lay there forever before falling asleep or will fight sleeping angerly)

Thanks!!
Amanda

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Under or overtired? Can't nail down A time!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 07:48:48 am »
Hi there Amanda :)
I see you have a couple of other threads running just now. We generally try to keep all advice in one place, it saves you from spending all your valuable Y time (if you have any!) on posting to various threads and trying to keep up with the different advice from the community.
I would say from your description that your LO is UT. They certainly can fall to sleep quickly when UT as they are in the habit of sleeping at that time so just continue to do so (they can also do the opposite, fight the nap and scream in your face trying to say they are not ready).  They can wake looking quite happy from an UT nap, but can also wake very annoyed and upset, mine did this, he was tired enough to be cranky and frustrated that he was not asleep but not tired enough to have transitioned into the next sleep cycle.  I know it is confusing as there is no hard rule.
Looking at your LOs age and A times it would also make sense that he is UT. A time at 5 months is more like 2hr - 2hr 30.  I would move quite rapidly to 2hrs (ie over just a couple of days rather than drawing it out over weeks by which time he needs longer again and you are stuck playing catch up) and see how things go then.

I hope this helps.
I suggest for continued support you continue to post to one of your other threads (I may see if they are suitable to merge, or if you have a preference we could lock one?) so that all the information is available in one place.

:)

Offline Mjh2mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 15:13:26 pm »
Thank you for replying and letting me know the rules- I don't want to be "that" person! Ha!  ;)
Yes you can definitely merge with my other post as they are related. Thank you for sharing your experience it definitely helps me! I'm so glad to have the wisdom of all
You BW moms to keep my head from spinning!!  :P
Amanda

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 18:17:39 pm »
Ha ha! don't worry you are not "that" person ;)
Actually I realised that you only have one other thread, I was mistake thinking there were two but it only that you are posting to another thread too (I only had a quick peep).

And it is definitely okay to keep asking questions, that's what we are all here for, to share our experience and hold one another's hand, it's only if it is basically the 'same' (or closely linked) question we like to keep things together.

I'm so glad to have the wisdom of all
You BW moms
Me too! Love this place and would be lost without the wisdom and support here. That's why I've stuck around for 5 years now :)