Author Topic: Nap extending with paci  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: May 05, 2016, 11:49:58 am »
My DD is 12 weeks and I'm really ready to extend her naps. She wakes around 37 mins and I am constantly replugging her paci until she eventually (sometimes) goes back to sleep. She falls asleep on her own (with paci) but I can't get her to go past the first cycle.

I don't remember this being such an issue with my first one.

Do I need to shush pat without giving her the paci? What's the best way to go about it?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 12:41:21 pm »
Don't know if this is helpful, but... I just get rid of paci when DS was 3mo as naps were a disaster for us - waking starting from 27min and could continue up to 1:05 and than it was fine. And EWU - he needed constant replugging which just made me feel awful and often haven't seen much of a success in the mornings. I know FSID guidelines re SIDS say with dummy is better until 6mo, but I guess his sleep was such a nightmare than I thought STOP it.
~Marta

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
Re: Nap extending with paci
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 13:50:55 pm »
Would any of these methods work for extending her nap, maybe with replacing pacifier as part of it?

How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)

Or do you want her to fall asleep for her nap without the pacifier in the first place?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 15:11:31 pm »
Thank you both! I've tried w2s but it didn't work. It's worth another few tries though! She has silent reflux and very gassy so I know the paci soothes her so I'd hate to take it away but also don't want it making it harder for her to fall asleep if she's that dependent on it.

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 18:11:55 pm »
How are you doing w2s? With both of mine I followed the option of going in before they wake but just held them rather than patted them through the sleep cycle transition. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not!
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 18:24:28 pm »
I would just rub her cheek until she moved slightly and back to sleep. But she would still wake up a few minutes later. Her wake time keeps changing between 30-40 mins so it's hard to time it right

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 19:01:16 pm »
Have you tried holding or sh-patting her through the transition in sleep cycles? Often LOs need helped all the way through that transition.

How long is it taking her to resettle when you're replacing the pacifier? My DD didn't use one but we did w2s for extending naps around 3-4mo and I needed to sh-pat her  (or sh-hold in our case) from just before she stirred for about 15mins to get her into another deeper sleep cycle.
What I'm saying is, it might not be the pacifier per se, it might just be the age and stage she's at and even if she fell asleep without it you might still be resettling for a while to extend the nap.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 22:05:01 pm »
I think you're right. I'm not even sure the paci is the only issue. Honestly today she has one good am nap where I resettled- took about 20 mins. And the rear were all cat naps. I'm having to do another CN now actually just so she makes it to BT without a total OT meltdown.

I'll try the w2s and hold. I have her in a Moses basket in her crib so I can't shush pat her while she's laying down. I hair run her head and shush. But she's been extremely wiggly and fussy while settling these past couple days so I've had to pick her up and hold her or just take her downstairs and try again later

It's much harder this time with a 3 year old waiting for me. Mom guilt all around...

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 15:21:22 pm »
It's much harder this time with a 3 year old waiting for me. Mom guilt all around...

Tell me about it! I remember feeling guilty that I didn't have time to focus on DD's sleep & guilty that I was ignoring DS and just putting him in front of TV every time I did try!

At least one good nap and a successful resettle is good at this age, especially with 2 LOs to juggle. I used to just aim to extend the 2nd nap as that was the easiest for DD to resettle and often coincided with DS' nap/rest. If you want to post your EASY & a brief description of your WD routine & I'm happy to take a look ..but the short naps & time to resettle might just be age and stage at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 15:39:40 pm by Scottishmummy »
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 16:38:16 pm »
Oh my...that's exactly my situation here. I can't stand putting him in front of the tv or iPad but I also know I need to help her sleep...ugh.

You've been so helpful and supportive. I can't thank you enough....

Once DD is a little older I'll really buckle down and find someone to come over to help with my older son while I work on naps. For now, I like your suggestion to focus on one good nap and call it a success!! She had about 5 catnaps yesterday and was happy as can be and slept great so I guess it's all fine.

Not looking forward to the 4 month sleep regression coming soon....figured I'll wait until that passes and then I'll try harder with naps.