Author Topic: Help with 2-1 transition gone wrong  (Read 8027 times)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: Help with 2-1 transition gone wrong
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2016, 20:48:27 pm »
those night wakings do sound UT...or developmental.  You could try gradually increasing the last A time and see if that helps.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2016, 20:04:44 pm »
Thank you! I increased to 3.75 and it helped a little. I got one long NW around 2:30 am. I'll try a few more times and see if it improves
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2016, 11:44:02 am »
So I accidentally did a 4Hr A before bed. He slept a nice 6.5 stretch before waking up (which is longer than the 5.5 stretch I was getting with 3.75A before bed) but then woke up 3 hrs later wired!!!! Standing but throwing himself around trying to get comfy. Finally I nursed him thinking he would go down and that didn't help! Took an hour for him to go back to sleep ???

This was yesterday:

WU 7:30 am
S 11-11:40 am (3.5)
S 2:55-4:25 pm (3.25)
BT 8:30 pm (4hr)

Maybe too soon for a jump? It sounds a little UT but that would be really strange given the long A before bed so maybe OT? Or just development? He did take two first steps yesterday. I'm hoping this isn't our "new" thing in the sleep department  ::)
Jennifer xx

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2016, 13:04:39 pm »
As ever, hard to say! Could be "tired but wired" or could be developmental.

I'd pull back to 3.75 and stick with that for a few more days before increasing again. It feels like 4hrs gave you a longer stretch of sleep but he maybe wasn't quite ready for it....or he's going through a developmental leap, sounds like that's happening too.

There's always something, isn't there?!

Xxx
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 13:06:39 pm by Scottishmummy »
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2016, 13:16:37 pm »
Haha yes always something with these babes! I let him sleep in bc we are about to have a whole day out and about so our EASY will be off. I will for sure stick to the 3.75 or shorter (depending on naps today). On a positive note overall naps and night sleep are getting better so I'm thankful for the insight!
Jennifer xx

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2016, 13:24:29 pm »
Great news  :D hope you have a nice day out
Xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2016, 12:42:12 pm »
So an interesting thing happened last night.
DS had one very brief NW which I fed!!!! He hasn't slept this well in weeks!

So I'm wondering if maybe day sleep needs to cut down or if I should wait it out since his teeth are FINALLY cutting which may be why he did a better night. He slept 10.5 hours.

This was yesterday's EASY:

WU 8:20 am
S 12:10-12:50 pm (A 3:50; car ride after church)
S 4:08-5:08 pm (A 3:18; after cake smash shoot; woke up and didn't resettle but was cranky so I know he could have slept longer)
BT 8:58 pm (A 3:50; wouldn't settle sooner due to heat)

We are working on cooling down the room 30 minutes prior to sleep since he has a really hard time settling when he's hot. Anyways, wondering if maybe he slept well bc of the limited day sleep?

I'm thinking of continuing this but more strictly since sometimes I let him sleep 10 minutes extra:
WU 7:30
S 11-11:30
S 2:45-4:15 pm
BT 8-8:15 pm

And seeing if the slightly later bedtime will help with the NW and EMW I was having.
Jennifer xx

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2016, 20:20:27 pm »
Hooray for better night...let us know how the later BT goes.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2016, 11:46:23 am »
Hello! Things have been going well overall  :D

Last two days he had a low grade fever since he is finally cutting teeth. He has been extra sleepy as well. First day he took 3 naps and went to bed on time. He slept through until 5 am for a feed then back down until close to 7:45. Yesterday he had a total of 3 hours day sleep which hasn't happened since before the transition. But last night he woke up twice: one 2.5 hours after BT and it took a half hour or so to get him back to sleep so I assume UT due to too much day sleep.

My question is during these times of cutting teeth and fluctuating temperatures, do I just let him nap when and how long he wants to and just roll with whatever comes? Or do I stick with the routine no matter what in hopes of a good night. I noticed he got tired sooner than usual so A times were cut a bit.

Thanks again!
Jennifer xx

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2016, 18:46:45 pm »
With teething I tried to keep nap routine as close to "normal" as possible but would put LO down early if they're really flagging but wake at normal time (if not already awake)  and do earlier bedtime if needed.

I think the only times I let DS sleep as much as he wanted in the day at this age was if he was properly ill and sleepy because of illness.

It sounds like you did right thing going with the flow when he was so sleepy but with those UT night wakings it sounds like he's caught up on the sleep he needs so I'd try to get back to as close to the routine that was working for you as possible
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2016, 20:13:12 pm »
Thank you!

Yea it seems he's all caught up but tried to sleep longer for the am nap. It was close to 3.5 A where I woke him at 45 minutes. Usually he wakes himself at the most 45 so it seems he's still a bit more tired from the night. But for the pm he went down very close to the usual time. We will see how tonight goes.

Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2016, 12:09:10 pm »
Well last night was a complete and utter disaster. 3 NW, with two of them including a half hour of hysterical crying that was only stopped by Nursing as well as an EMW making his total night sleep only 9.5! :o

Not sure what happened?! I know he's going through a wonder week leap. Does this happen during his leap, is it teething? He still has to cut the other tooth. Seemed OT but not sure. Yesterday went like this.

WU 8:15 am
S 11:45-12:30 pm (3.30)
S 4:10-5:25 pm (3:40)
BT 9:10 pm ( A 3.75)

His first NW was 1.5 hours after BT and he was hysterical! He has never cried this hard this long before during NW only when severely OT.

Any thoughts?
Jennifer xx

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2016, 19:31:12 pm »
Sorry you both had a bad night.  It could be teeth, or wonder week, I'd give it a couple of nights and see if he settles. If not, we can look at his routine again.

I would try to keep first nap to only 30 mins, though.  His 2nd nap was only 1hr15 yesterday, that may have caused some OT by bedtime.

Hope you get a better day & night today

Xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2016, 21:34:30 pm »
Ok!  I'll keep you posted as now DS also has a cold to add to everything else  ::)

I'll keep it at 30 minutes tops for the next few days. Today he did 39 minutes and fought a little the pm nap but I think it was OT bc he had a really bad night. He ended up falling back asleep after nursing so I'm chalking it up to some OT and General feeling of ailment from teething and congestion.
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2016, 11:43:23 am »
So last night we got a nice 8 hour stretch but then only a 10 hour night  :-\

Yesterday was:
WU 8:30 am (slept in)
S 12-12:40 pm (3.5)
S 3:55-5:02 pm (A 3.25)
S 5:10-5:38 pm
BT 9:16 pm (A 3:38)

I keep getting these shorter nights. Sometimes he settles after jumping through hoopS then sometimes he doesn't like right now. Either way he wakes up energetic. Not sure if this is still residual OT from the weekend? He just turned one this weekend.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:57:22 am by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx