Author Topic: Help with 2-1 transition gone wrong  (Read 8029 times)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: Help with 2-1 transition gone wrong
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2016, 14:30:13 pm »
Happy birthday to your DS!

I *think* 10 hr nights are just within average range with 2 naps but could also be UT.
I know I sound like a stuck record but I really would try to cap that first nap at 30 mins

Xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2016, 15:06:58 pm »
Lol no they are good reminders. I'm amazed that even 10 minutes makes a difference!

I'll give it a go and see if it helps.

Oh and question: if I continue to need some tips in the 2-1, can I still post here or do I move to the Toddler Sleep board?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 15:15:52 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2016, 20:07:33 pm »
Well, 10 mins might not make a huge difference to your nights, but I *think* you said he settles & sleeps better for 2nd nap with that slightly shorter first one?

He might just be at a stage where he has a shorter night because of still needing 2 naps, but if you feel it is too short and he's getting tired in the day, you could try capping first nap more & moving 2nd nap & BT earlier to give chance for a longer night?

You might as well continue with this thread even though he's 1, but I could move this whole thread into toddler sleep and continue there.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2016, 11:20:49 am »
Yes the shorter am nap definitely helps the pm stay a little longer. Last night he went to bed OT after having a 3:53 A time. He woke up a couple of times crying. However, he did have slightly more sleep than 10 hours.

The issue I am having is that he's waking up earlier and earlier bc of the 10-11 hour nights but my days are usually about 12.5 hrs. Not sure how to tweak things so he's not waking up and going to bed earlier everyday. Should I push the am nap slightly later but keep it at the same length? Would that mean I have to make the pm nap slightly earlier or keep it at 3.25? Yesterday he fought the pm sleep slightly but still went down at 3.25 and did almost 1.5. Or should I push the pm nap a tiny bit later? Or should I try to push BT slightly later?

Right now we are doing:

WU 7:30 (sometimes 7 am)
S 11-11:30 am
S 2:45-4:15 pm
BT 7:55 pm

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 11:47:25 am by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2016, 13:10:24 pm »
Hi there!

I think it would be good to get a longer night if possible, rather than a longer day as 12-13 hrs is already a good length for his day.  His first A is at low end of average range for his age though so you could try pushing it a little later & see if that helps with EW. 

Out of interest, how is he doing with self-settling & NFs now? Just wondering whether that could be affecting his night sleep too?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2016, 13:53:50 pm »
Hi!!!

Ok so I actually did push the first A to 3.75 and kept everything pretty much the same:

Yesterday's EASY:

WU 7 am
S 10:45-11:20 am (A 3.75; I accidentally lost track of time to wake him)
S 2:40-4 pm (A 3:20;I'm assuming this nap was slightly shorter due to the first nap)
BT 7:45 pm (A 3.75; woke up twice crying hard not even 3 hours after BT)

We had an 11.5 hr night which definitely an improvement. However, he was I'm assuming a little OT so planning on doing:

WU 7:15
S 11-11:30 am (A 3.75)
S 2:45-4:15 pm ( A 3.25)
BT 7:45-7:55 pm (A 3.5-3:40; depending on how the pm nap goes)

Does that sound ok?

He self settled at night and is down to one feed! We are almost there!

Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2016, 19:31:21 pm »
Today he fought and cried hard before his pm nap. I could have started his windown sooner so right at 3.25 he was not trying to sleep. Maybe I should have aimed for 3.05-3:10 to give him time to settle. He finally fell asleep at 3.5A. He woke up at 50 minutes crying then at an hour fighting sleep against. His am nap was 34 minutes. Maybe OT since extending first A?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 20:43:04 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2016, 18:27:58 pm »
That's great that he self-settles at night now. Wha about for naps? Just wondering whether transition through sleep cycles is affecting his naps (LO who self settle make that transition much more easily).

I actually wonder whether fighting the pm nap might be UT rather than OT, which usually means a shorter am nap is needed, and either pulling pm nap a little earlier (& hoping for longer nap) or keeping at the same time, depending on how tired he is after a shorter am nap.

You are really getting into the thick of 2-1 now, I think.  I was wondering whether it would be good to start a new thread in toddler sleep to continue any support you want there as you might get more eyes with more experience of goi g through same thing there?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2016, 20:17:52 pm »
Hmmmm food for thought. With naps in general he can go into the next sleep cycle unless he's OT or UT.

Perhaps it was UT then? Would 4 minutes make a difference in not being tired enough for the next nap? I also acknowledge he's in the thick of a wonder week so that may be contributing to things.

Yes I can start a new thread and see how it goes. Thank you so much for all your support!!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 20:41:13 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2016, 04:40:27 am »
I don't think the extra 4 mins would make much of a difference, but I wonder if the short 2nd A did? Maybe he needs at least 3.5 hrs, or more between 1st & 2nd nap, rather than a later 1st nap?

Just a thought...good luck for rest of the transition, you & he hav made great progress so far, he'll get there xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2016, 12:00:51 pm »
Hi!

I'm just seeing your reply. Im thinking the am nap may have to be cut or that the pm nap should go a little later.
Jennifer xx