Author Topic: Shush pat and sleeping on side (instead of back)  (Read 1116 times)

Offline SofisMom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Shush pat and sleeping on side (instead of back)
« on: May 09, 2016, 21:08:03 pm »
Hi guys,

My daughter is 8 weeks old. We use the shush pat method to put her to sleep: if she cries when we put her down in the crib, we turn her over to her side, using a small firm pillow as a wedge for her to lean on, and pat her back until she falls asleep. The thing is, once she falls asleep, we keep her on her side - too scared to wake her by moving her back to her back.

Is this a problem, safety-wise? I know back is best. But I'm not sure how we would move her to her back without disrupting her sleep. It's possible once she's in deep, deep sleep, she wouldn't be disturbed, but I'm not always there that long because I have a toddler to tend to.

What do other people do? Any other babies sleep on their side?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 21:22:24 pm by SofisMom »
Mom to two daughters, born June 2014 and March 2016. BW worked great on my first, can't wait to see results with my 2nd!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Shush pat and sleeping on side (instead of back)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 22:01:01 pm »
Hi there
If it was me I'd switch her from side to back before she is fully asleep, so when she is drowsy and calm continue to pat but alter her position. You can likely pat her hip, side or nappy area to keep the rhythm and comfort going.  I'd suggest this mostly because of the SIDS guides but partly because as you work towards independent sleep you will be reducing the patting anyway, so why not make a change to the patting first, then reduce.
Often with sleep training we parents can get a bit scared of LO waking or becoming unsettled so we put them in the position they like, we pat all the way to sleep every nap, we do almost anything to get them to sleep and to stay that way... when really LO is going to learn to self settle so that might as well be on her back if it's safest.  During the gradual process of sleep training there will likely be a few times LO wakes again or becomes a bit unsettled due to the reduction of patting or a slightly different position to sleep in, but you can get past each of these hurdles by continuing to comfort and teaching LO she's okay.

Just my thoughts :)

Offline shinysarah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 18:46:44 pm »
I agree.  With her being so young, she will probably quickly learn to settle herself, with you helping her, sooner than you think.

Offline SofisMom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 21:24:45 pm »
Thank you guys! That helps!
Mom to two daughters, born June 2014 and March 2016. BW worked great on my first, can't wait to see results with my 2nd!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 17:24:52 pm »
:)
good Luck.
We're always here if you need more help with this.