Author Topic: Is it time to sleep train? Lo has just recovered.  (Read 968 times)

Offline centrestage88

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Is it time to sleep train? Lo has just recovered.
« on: May 11, 2016, 09:47:59 am »
Sigh. Lo is 14 months old and after recovering from a 2 week bout of bronchitis, he isn't quite the independent sleeper anymore.

Prior to getting ill, he slept really well. Through the night (745pm-745am) with an occasional night feed. Naps were good too. No props. I was so thankful that I did not need to sleep train as I get really anxious when he cries. So I really don't know how I am going to get him to sleep well again.

His old routine:
745am - wakes up happy
12 -130/230- nap
745pm- bedtime. STTN mostly.

For the past three days, its been
745pm- bedtime
NW: 930pm, 12midnight, 3am, 5am. The boobs gets him to bed once. The other times, even boobs dont work. I either have to carry him or  stand next to his cot, place my hand on his bum and wait till he sleeps else he cries. He wakes up 2 hours later and the cycle continues.
6am/7am- wakes up crying. doesnt want to sleep anymore.
12-1245/1pm- nap. wakes up crying.

What should I do? Should I wait a few more days to see if he will revert back to his old sleeping pattern since he has just recovered?

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Re: Is it time to sleep train? Lo has just recovered.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 18:39:23 pm »
Any teething going on? I remember molars playing havoc at about that age.
Lauren

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 10:00:33 am »
after recovering from a 2 week bout of bronchitis
Hi CS :) I'm so sorry your LO was poorly. Was it bronchiolitis I wonder rather than bronchitis? I am not a health professional at all, just that I hear of LOs have the virus called bronchiolitis and my own was hospitalised for 4 nights with suspected B, they don't always test them for the actual virus but in our case they did and the test came back negative so it was put down to another virus with similar symptoms. he was 10.5 months old at that time.
So, my LO was several months younger than yours but I wanted to share my experience with you.

Mine was an independent sleeper at around 8 ish wks old, yes he needed some comfort through discomfort of reflux or teething, as any would, but he was fully independent otherwise.  He had also not had a night feed for several months by this point (dropped the dream feed around 6 ish months if I remember correctly, or in any case, 7 months lets say).  Following his release from hospital and during his recovery he did need lots of help at night.  Initially he had meds to be given through the night every few hours but when he was recovering it was night feeds he needed.  I was very surprised at the time but looking back it makes perfect sense. He had to make up for the calories he had not taken in during his poorly days and with having such a little tummy as these LOs do, it just wasn't possible to make up for those lost calories purely in the day hours.  As mine never had any props and wasn't even interested in milk usually it was quite clear he really did need that milk in the night.  Plus lots and lots of comfort, he slept whenever he could to regain his strength but when he woke he did need help and reassurance.

Sound similar?

In my experience my DS went right on back to his independent sleeping just as soon as he could, he stopped feeding at night when he could and the SA settled down too.  Now for us we were at the start of the 2-1 so at 11-12 months I had an OT boy who couldn't nap more than 20 mins without help but that was a routine issue which he needed lots of help through.

I think I'd be tempted to wait a while longer before getting concerned about routine and see this as recovery time.  If he has lost weight during his illness he will need to regain that weight so don't worry at all if there is a phase of night feeds or increased appetite in the day. Some high protein and fats may help.  go to him whenever he needs you and this will reinforce your bond and help him to regain the confidence he had prior to his illness. I am sure it will all improve for you.  If it does turn out he needs some sleep training (I do doubt it would be that 'extreme', possibly a bit of encouragement but unlikely the full on training needed for a LO who has never slept independently) it would need to be at a time when you know he is fully well and has regained his weight.  I don't think anyone here would advise going ahead with any serious sleep training unless LO's lost weight was fully returned and he was gaining properly again.

For the night feeds, if he is hungry I would just go ahead now and feed him. Perhaps see if the other night wakings he is a bit thirsty if he refuses the breast (mine only took one night feed during recovery), offer a cup of water perhaps?  Really I wouldn't worry about sitting with him or having a hand on him, it all helps to restore his confidence.  As the days go by you can begin to gradually reduce the weight of that hand on him - each time start just as firmly as always then after a minute or so you can lighten the weight a little, then firm again, then lighten.  It's actually a little encouragement to get him used to the different feeling, you are not going away you are just not making a long term habit of a firm hand there.  Do what is needed weight wise to help him stay calm and relaxed, I am sure you will get into a swing of it and he will too, both of you knowing you are there for him and both of you knowing he is not going to need that firm hand on him for ever, just for now.

Similar with carrying him in the night, do as needed to support him but also cast a mind to getting him down in the cot. Tell him what you are doing, "Mummy is going to put you down now, it's night time and you need to sleep, I'll stay right here, everything is ok. Go to sleep" or even "You're heavy I need to put you down.  I'm right here".

I hope this helps you some xx many hugs and I hope he is feeling much better very soon xx

Offline centrestage88

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 12:46:10 pm »
Hi ladies

LO's sleep has improved. Well, kind of regressed as compared to when he was 9 months old ( he STTN then), but we are both happy with 1-2xs a night wakes. He guzzles at the boob ( so I'm assuming that he's hungry), after which he happily goes back to bed. His second wake up usually involves me putting my hand on his back for a short while to calm him down.

I'm slowly feeling more confident about his sleeping habits. I think he is too. =)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 17:12:26 pm »
Great to hear things are better :)

WRT those NWs.  I would start to wean the night feed now. You know he is well and at this age he really shouldn't need to be fed, not unless he was ill or recovering (like before).  I am not experienced in weaning BF but I would suggest reducing the amount of time you let him feed at night (in minutes), reduce each night until you are down to 1 min then stop and use cuddles and a hand on him to sooth.  You could also offer water instead.  With a gradual wean he should just start to make up for the calories during the day and in solid food rather than milk.
Also with a gradual wean you really shouldn't end up with lots of crying which I know you find distressing.  It will likely be none, or just some fussing rather than full on screaming in your face crying. xx

If you need more help with that may post on BF board for BTDT advice?