Author Topic: Regulating milk supply  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Regulating milk supply
« on: May 12, 2016, 03:28:04 am »
My lo is 3 months today and has mild silent reflux that I've been able to control through diet and limiting her feeds (not overfeeding).  I've struggled with oversupply and forceful letdown so the limiting of feeding time has helped tremendously.  A couple of weeks ago my supply took a huge dip and I was struggling to get her enough milk to satisfy her by the end of the day.  So I stated drinking mothers milk tea, taking febugreek and pumping after my first feed (6 am) and last feed 7 pm) of the day (I was not pumping before except occasionally to get milk for a bottle here and there).  After a few days my supply came back and now I have enough during the day but too much at night.  I am having to hand express and hand pump in the middle of the night before I nurse to eleventh her from choking and overeating.  This is not easy because I can't always anticipate when she'll wake so I'm either waking up as close to when I think she'll wake up (which often leads to me having to pump more than once) and pumping or pumping when she's already awake and having an irritated anxious baby in the middle of the night.  Anyway, sorry so long. Is there a way to regulate my supply so I have enough throughout the day but not too much at night?

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 11:23:58 am »
Hi hun, I'm not entirely clear - do you feel you have too much during the night?  If so, I would drop the pumping session and just let her feed at night? Can you hand express a wee bit first and then put her on the breast? would that work?  Pumping is stimulating supply artificially, so the less you do, and the more you rely on baby, the more 'regulated' you'll feel. 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Regulating milk supply
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 00:30:30 am »
Hi, too much can be just as bad as not enough :(

What I'd be doing in your shoes is now your supply is up, easing off on the supplements and galactagogues, at least towards the end of the day. Try to only express minimal amounts for comfort and latching at night or your body will keep making more at night.

See what you think of biological nurturing - basically just lying back to feed, a recliner chair works really well - it really can help with OS and OALD.

If you're having wakings within an hour or two of feeds, try not to feed again but a tummy massage and pushing knees up into belly a bit to help move gas along can help.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 03:52:49 am »
Hi! Thanks and sorry for confusion... Yes since my supply went back up I stopped pumping.  Still taking fenugreek but dropped one dose.  Hopefully tonight I won't have so much milk!  However, for my last two feeds today she was getting frustrated because I didn't have enough milk, or at least it wasn't coming out fast enough for her liking.  She's a very impatient eater!  So is there a way to reduce supply at night but boost it toward the evening hours?  Oh, and at night I am only hand expressing or hand pumping to either take a little off the top or get the letdown before I nurse her but it's a complete pain and I'd love to just reduce my night time supply so I didn't have to do this. Having to do this in the middle of the night ether gets me a hungry, flustered baby (if I wait till she wakes) or spotty sleep because I'm constantly waking up thinking I should express milk before she wakes.
And I'm doing the reclining for the feeds and feeding her upright (but slightly reclined) and it has helped!  Thank you!!! 😊

Offline becj86

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 04:18:00 am »
Have you tried breast compressions when she's upset?

I found making sure to drink lots of  water at lunch and getting a bit of a rest in the afternoon helped with afternoon/evening feeds.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 13:36:35 pm »
Thank you!  Will make sure to drink lots of water in the afternoon.  I think I forgot that time of day.  Resting in the evening is not really possible as I have a 4 year old and dinner to prep and cook, etc.  it's our craziest time of day!
Last night I easily hand expressed 3 ounces of milk and am still slightly engorged this morning! 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 21:01:49 pm »
Try to stop expressing anything at night and after few nights your body will reduce supply in line with what she is taking. 3oz is loads to express just to take the edge off the engorgement really. I know it's uncomfortable but it really is best in the long run.

Or another option is to pump just before you go to bed one night and give her that milk in a bottle the next night at BT. That way she gets a big feed at a time you naturally have less milk readily available and you empty your breasts before you go to bed yourself. Obviously you'd have to keep this up though. It is normal for the hormones to be lower in the evening and to feel emptier. It doesn't mean there is no milk there though.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 01:56:10 am »
I have two issues....LO has reflux so don't want her to get up much milk, makes the reflux way worse and now I have a clogged milk duct... Won't being engorged overnight make the clog worse?

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 13:37:48 pm »
 I guess I should elaborate… I've been hand expressing not going to relieve pressure but also to prevent overfeeding my daughter and choking her with my forceful letdown.  I tried not hand expressing as much last night but then she was waking frequently after 3 AM feed with reflux. However I did try new food yesterday on my illumination diet so maybe that was it? Hopefully the supply will drop within a couple days  not expressing so much? Although I still expressed a full ounce tween three and feed in the morning feed  without hardly even trying.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 20:14:10 pm »
Hmm, yes you do need to be careful about getting engorged if you're having trouble with clogged ducts. Breast compressions and massaging the lump when feeding will help shift the blockage.

Supply will settle down in time. What about instead of expressing at night you do a dream feed style feed rather than waiting for her to wake.

Are you treating the reflux?

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 05:57:06 am »
Could try dream feed style!  If it doesn't settle after tonight will try that.  We tried Zantac and it didn't work.  We've been managing well with limiting intake and an elimination diet so doctor said not to try Prevacid.  Her reflux isn't generally painful, but it does tend to wake her up when she has flare ups.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 03:54:31 am »
Ok so my supply was better last night, still too much for her but better.  However by 3 pm today my breasts felt empty (I know they aren't ever truly empty) and after 4-5 minutes on each side she would pull off annoyed that there wasn't enough milk.  So is there a way to achieve a happy medium at all?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 10:38:27 am »
Did you try the breast compressions? And maybe try leaning forwards for the feeds where oversupply isn't an issue.

4-5 mins per side would have been ample for my boys at this age. Are you sure she isn't just done?

If you just keep feeding at the times she wants it then your body should learn to produce it at those times. You could try pumping after the feeds when she seems unsatisfied to stimulate extra milk at that time.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 13:16:21 pm »
When I'm full 5-6 mins per side is good for her but she clearly wants more at this time of day.  Not only that, she was starting to STTN but since my afternoon supply dipped she's woken at 1/2 am and then slept the rest of the night. I do major breast compression and switch signed several times.  I can lean forward too but don't think that will help a ton. I will try the pumping in the afternoon tho!  That had occurred to me.  Thank you!

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 16:22:46 pm »
I am in the exact same situation. I could have written all of your posts. Crazy how similar- even the age of our littles.

I obviously have zero advice to give you but I just wanted to send encouragement and let you know you are absolutely not alone! I'll be following to see what advice you get! X

Offline becj86

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 19:30:40 pm »
Have you got a cluster feed in there between 3pm and BT feed? That helped enormously once my supply was sufficiently under control to have this afternoon supply issue.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 19:45:38 pm »
Oh no sorry!  I'm going to pump today and started the tea again in the morning... Will keep updating!