Author Topic: Paci/short nap questions?  (Read 976 times)

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Paci/short nap questions?
« on: May 12, 2016, 19:17:23 pm »
Hi!

I was wondering if I can get some helpful advice and tips.

My baby is now 12 weeks old. The past couple of weeks we've slowly been doing some small transitions. He sleeps in his crip for all naps now, and he is also falling asleep in the crib without being on me anymore but with head caressing/paci/white noise. (He used to fall asleep in my arms cradled for the full 20 minutes before putting down) I've also been slightly successful in resettling back to sleep by inserting paci and again, rubbing his head or light pat on his shoulder.

I have a few questions however!

He never goes beyond a 45 minute nap. No matter his A time. He used to give me ONE longer nap (midday) and now he does not. We are ending up doing 5-6 naps a day at this rate. Because of my other toddler, more times than not, I rarely would resettle and continue with our day after the short naps. Could this be the reason and I've accidently accustomed him to just be up after 45 mins? Or could it be that he needs my help/paci to continue into the next cycle?

His paci I felt has never been a prop but after reading the link on here "taking away the pacifier to help sleep through the night" I think his might be. He can sleep all night without it. (5-7 hr stretches) and he's also had those occasional long naps too without needing it so it "shows" me he can do it. He has always been one to spit it out or we remove it around the 15/20 min mark and he's ok. 

I'm interested in removing the paci all together soon. I'm pretty certain it's a prop as he stays asleep all the way, with the paci in his mouth now, actually! The way I see it (and have been seeing it) is that, he's always short napped after the age of 1.5 months ;) ...so what difference would it make. I was thinking remove it now rather than later when he does get longer naps.

Our typical EASY goes as follows (loose EASY as this is not set in stone. His WU time always varies)

E 7:00
A
S 8:30ish - 9:15ish (rarely can I resettle and due to school runs/breakfast/getting toddler ready, he has to stay up :-/... Resettling takes a long time, which I can't afford in the morning time)

E 10:00-10:30 ish
A
S 12ish- 12:45/1 (this USED to be a super long nap from OT) usually try and sleep again since toddler is in school and I have time

S 1:00ish 1:45

E 1:45
A (PU brother)
S 3:00-3:45

A (can't resettle- lunch/snack for toddler)
E 4:15 ish
S 4:30-5:15

A
S 6:00-6:40
E 7:00

A
S BT varies between 8-8:30

any help on our easy or naps would be great. Normally I don't care for the short naps and never have, as I know with a toddler around and all our activities, I can't focus 100% on his sleep. So I was going with the flow.. But napping so many times a day and now losing our EAS routine is I think affecting him as he doesn't know what's next anymore. Nights are still fairly well. 1 feed on a good night sometimes 2 xoxoxo! Thank you :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 00:42:50 am by FPT23 »
Fabi

Offline FPT23

Re: Paci/short nap questions?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 16:38:44 pm »
Bumping to see if anyone has some tips/advice :) Ty!
Fabi

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 19:14:07 pm »
Sorry hun!  I never used a paci but from what I understand SIDS guidance suggests that weaning should take place between 6-12 months.  That said, I do think there is an element of personal choice and if you feel it's a problem then it is something to consider.  So is the fact that short naps are normal at this age though ;)  The most obvious thing that leaps out from your routine is the A time after the first nap looks rather too long....nearly 3 hours?  Is that right?  If so I'd be bringing that second nap right back to around 10.30/45ish and see if you can get a longer nap there and set you on a better track for the day :)

Offline FPT23

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 20:14:13 pm »
Hi Jess!

He doesn't use it for sleep though. It's only a self settle thing but wondering if that's an issue.

IRT to second A time, I am unable to do that nap- as I mentioned that is when I take LO to school. I would end up waking after 20 minutes b/c I have a school run... That time is when I get back home

I used to get at least one long nap a day and now it's all 45 minutes. Today after 3 naps before 1pm... All 45 mins, he ended up doing 35 mins.. He rarely does OT 30 min naps.

Curiousity as how to go about this a bit smoother.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 20:15:53 pm by FPT23 »
Fabi

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 23:47:49 pm »
I did spend quite a bit of time resettling naps (but my DS is 4 and can be trusted to handle himself for 15mins alone, and also goes to preschool 3 x per week) so some of me wonders if the resettling helped her learn to transition, but honestly I've found with both my LOs that getting over the 45min naps was an age thing vs anything I was actively doing, ya know? I just made sure to keep at least the first A age appropriate and go from there.  DS didn't take longer naps until 6ish months and DD was around 4 months but isn't super consistent...her first nap is usually a guarantee and I often have to resettle the second nap.  There is a large part of me that thinks as long as you keep A times around where hey should be they just kind of figure it out in their own eventually.  I know that's not super helpful, I think you have a fantastic attitude about it all just getting on with the day, but I completely get how frustrating it can be.

Offline FPT23

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 02:57:20 am »
Thanks Lindsay!

You know, I was mainly wondering if it was a paci thing for not being able to transition. So I was considering removing it out of the equation in general, but I think this is just developmental or, figuring out the A times. Honestly, our routine is just not going to happen as it clashes with my 4yo schedule for school. He does to class between 11-3! So, it really is messing with naps and A times. That's why I really don't sweat it much... Bc there may be nothing I can do at this point but embrace the short naps or having to even wake him often from naps ::) ....until he drops naps hehe. I guess k was curious whether it was something I might have done by not resettling and just adjusting him to 45 min naps or the paci. It was what I was trying to get at :)

I can resettle if I wanted as I too have a 4 yo but I don't exceed 20 mins. I just take him out and try later. The same goes with wind down. If he's just refusing the nap for more than me there trying for 20 mins, I take him out and try again later. I ended up with probably 100 CNs today and finally, one long one. (It's been awhile since I've seen that) So the long naps and nights without the paci "show" me he can transition without it.

Well we still don't have not even the first nap long but, guess I just have to play around with A times. He just doesn't do 30 min naps (unless it's the end of the day) and so I was wondering if it was something habitual. My 4yo will be out of school soon and by then I won't have to wake for naps and drag along this poor baby around haha ;) ...when my 4yo starts kinder in Aug (he will be 5!) he will be in school all day :( ....but more reasonable time for naps by then with a 6 month old ;)

Guess I'll just keep going with the flow ;)
Fabi

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 06:49:52 am »
I think that may be for the best :) if you can't get him down at all between 9.15-12 I think you're just going to have to accept OT for now and do the best you can with it. I don't suppose a catnap on the school run is at all realistic?  Hugs, balancing the needs of two can be tricky x

Offline FPT23

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 14:47:25 pm »
Thanks Jessmum!

Yeah I probably won't be able to until my oldest is out of school. He begins again in Aug from 7:30-2:30 and by then I'm hoping to be on 3 naps or on the verge to 2... Something like that (6mths ish) ...so by then it will be easier as naps will fall within his school times.

I guess b/c all naps regardless were usually 45 that it had something to do w the paci or me just getting him up and going.

He's not a fan of sleeping in the car but he does on occassion. Not regularly however ::) he's great at stroller naps :)

Thanks ladies!
Fabi