Author Topic: 3 year old changing sleep habits  (Read 989 times)

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 12, 2016, 03:15:10 am »
My almost 3 year old has turned not so great sleeper. We have had the same routine for 2 years, with times changing slightly. Upstairs around 6:40, pajamas, teeth brush, bed for reading a few books and chatting, lights out, song, and hugs goodnight at around 7-7:10. She used to be asleep shortly after, a few months ago we started hearing her sing and talk until about 7:30, now it's carrying on until after 8.

She has always been in bed early or we end up with an early waking. With these later nights, she's waking around 5:30...used to sleep until 6 or 6:30 at least.

She usually takes a 1.5hr nap from about 12-1:30.

Anyone have suggestions how to change things. I don't like the early mornings. We've made 6am is our earliest acceptable wake up in our house.  8 or 8:30 to 5 or 5:30 doesn't seem like enough sleep to me. Thoughts and suggestions?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 3 year old changing sleep habits
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 05:26:50 am »
I wonder if the nap needs to be capped as the singing etc sounds like she is ut for bed time. Is her room fairly dark? Could the brighter mornings be a factor as well? We just swapped rooms and I find DD3 is having ew at sunrise due to the fact that the blinds in the new room gape and let in a lot of light.
Heidi

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 00:49:48 am »
Her room is quite dark so I shouldn't think that is the factor.

How many days should I try capping the nap for? I ask because occasionally she has a very short nap and we still get the same result! It's very frustrating. I've read about the groclock but unsure if it's just another gimmick or if it's actually very effective.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 22:55:54 pm »
I would try for at least a week or two before deciding whether it works or not.

There is a gro clock thread here somewhere - very effective if used consitently...may be investing in one for DD3 soon.
Heidi

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 02:16:23 am »
The last 2 days she has done a shorter nap on her own, 1hr 20 min. We've put her down shortly after her brother which turned out to be 6:45 and 2 nights of no playing, just straight to sleep. I didn't notice us entering into over tired, but wondering now if that was our problem instead of under tired, or if that little bit of shorter nap was all the difference. She has been sleeping past 6am too.

With two threads going in this chat room, one for each kid, I feel like everything is a roller coaster ride and they crash downhill at the same time!

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 03:07:32 am »
Ugh no fun when they do that! I always felt as if I was being tag teamed by DD1 & DD2 :P

Glad things are going better! Long may it continue!
Heidi