Author Topic: How to get back on track... 1 year old  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 14, 2016, 20:22:57 pm »
My son just turned 1. His sleep is messy and we just need to get back on track. He has been on one nap a day since 8 months (yes I know it is very early). Occasionally he takes a short morning nap in addition to his noon nap. Bed time is early (6-6:30 ish).  He used to nap for 2-3 hrs. But was waking a lot to feed in the night. In the last couple weeks weeks he has started sleeping through until 5ish, feeds and goes back down with a soother for an hour. His naps have become very short 45-1.5 at the most. We can't seem to get a longer morning sleep our get a longer nap. I feel like they are contributing to each other but how do we get back on track? I've tried extending the nap every way possible but with no luck. :(

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: How to get back on track... 1 year old
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 08:40:04 am »
Hi there, it could be developmental with him just having had a birthday but also 45 mins naps tend to be UT.

What time do you put him down to nap? Could be that you need to push it a tiny bit later x
Zoe

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 02:12:19 am »
He generally naps starting sometime between 11:15-11:45.  He often is asleep or close to in his highchair at lunch. I figured with the early mornings that this wouldn't be under tired.

Today we had a great day. Sunday my husband took him for a jog in the stroller in the a.m. Which gave him a 20-30 min snooze, normal 45-1.5 nap, but wet did a very early bedtime of 5:50...He slept until 5 am, nursed and back to sleep until 6:45! He napped from 11:45-2.

I'd love to say were back too normal but it's just 1 day so far but it was at least a great one! 

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 13:34:50 pm »
It could be an UT/OT loop sometimes they need more A time to get s decent nap but then short nap so your playing catch up.

Great day/night hope things continue x
Zoe

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 04:32:23 am »
We've fallen apart again. With a combination of immunizations, travel, and cold, his sleep is back to a mess. I'm working on getting him back to only one morning night feed in the hopes of slowly pushing that out to sleeping right through.
My main battle is daytime at the moment. He wakes early 5-5:30 and will no longer go back to sleep. He is cranky and falling asleep at 9:30 ish for 45 min or so and then another nap at noon (45-1.5hrs).  Bedtime is early (5:45-6:15).
Previous replies say that the short naps could be ut, do I just push him through and try to force only one nap again in hopes that it becomes longer? I'd like to get a later wake up too. When he was waking later he seemed to make it to midday much better but I can't seem to get back to it.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 09:41:37 am »
Oh dear sounds tough, I'd restrict that first nap to 20 min then give lunch nap.

If your having a 45 min nap at 9.30 he prob won't be ready for long nap by 12, if he's waking at 5.30 after a 5.45 BT he's having a good night. I think it's just a case of pushing everything out slightly to shift day x
Zoe

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 03:57:39 am »
Thanks so much. Capping that nap worked like a charm. We can even skip the a.m. Nap and get 2-3hr nap out of him. Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the 5:30am wake up. He is napping mostly from 11-1, asleep by 6pm, wake up at 5:30. I guess I'll try 15 min or so every few days to shift it to more of a 6:30 to 6.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 17:58:12 pm »
Great stuff, yes it just really trying to get the day pushed out. Hate to say it but my DS1 was always an early waker  ::)
Zoe