Author Topic: When to up number of meals  (Read 2080 times)

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
When to up number of meals
« on: May 16, 2016, 09:12:30 am »
I started BLW last week (breakfast) with DD2 who is 6 months in a few days. I cannot remember from when I did this with DD1 how long you give it before offering 2 meals and then 3 etc etc?

Lauren

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: When to up number of meals
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 09:33:10 am »
We progressed pretty quickly, within a week I'd say.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 08:39:44 am »
The general guidance is to begin with 1 meal and to increase to 3 meals by/at 8 months, so there is no hurry.  If you increase sooner you might see too much of a drop in milk intake, if that happens you can always cut back on the solids a bit.

My own experience, like MJ&N's, we progressed very quickly, my DS loved solids and I followed his lead on portion size and number of meals, I saw no drop in milk intake (although he was never a milk fan anyway and when he got his hands on 'real' food he acted like I'd been starving him for months!).
With BLW it may be that you increase the number of offerings/meals in the day but that LO does not take a lot at each sitting, exploring tastes and textures more than *eating* although for some (mine) it was very much about eating from the get-go.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 09:34:27 am »
Ha, thought of this thread yesterday when DH forgot to offer him any breakfast. He was not amused!!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 12:50:21 pm »
Well I gave her some lunch yesterday as she was trying to get everyone else's.

I think like you say as its BLW she's not taking huge amounts (She has a go at eating everything but then turns to playing with it) but will of course watch for a drop in milk intake. I also need to keep an eye on her BM's as she suffered with constipation from birth (although it seemed to resolve itself a few weeks back!)

Lauren

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 18:20:54 pm »
Ha, thought of this thread yesterday when DH forgot to offer him any breakfast. He was not amused!!
ha ha!  there is no way mine would let anyone forget - food fiend!  I bet yours had something to say about it :)

she suffered with constipation from birth (although it seemed to resolve itself a few weeks back!)
Perhaps have a read through this if you haven't already
Constipation and Laxative Foods
I discovered mine became too firm with carrots, I honestly would never have suspected carrots until I read a longish thread we used to have (the link is the condensed version with all the info).  He could still eat carrots but I made sure I balanced it out with prunes and if he got a bit too firm I held off carrots a day or two, but equally if he got a bit lose I could offer carrots!  It's nice to know these things, maybe you will find certain foods have one effect and the other.