Author Topic: PU PD: a few quick questions  (Read 833 times)

Offline deborah_c

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
PU PD: a few quick questions
« on: May 17, 2016, 03:44:11 am »
I want to start PUPD with DD in about a week, at which point she will be 5 mo old.  She has never been a good sleeper, wakes several times a night and recently is very difficult to settle back in the crib after 3am or so.  I usually end up holding her for much of the rest of the night.  If I'm lucky I can get a couple of 1 hour stretches between 3-7am when she will sleep in the crib.  I read the PUPD chapter, but it was awhile ago so forgive me if in my sleep deprived state I repeat a question that was answered there.  Just looking for a couple of pointers. 

1. When doing PUPD, is it ok if DH and I switch off every 20 min or so, or will that confuse/stimulate her?

2. We are still swaddling and I have tried a few times unsuccessfully to wean her of it.  I read the swaddle weaning sticky, and it seems like maybe she still isn't ready to be unswaddled since it definitely causes her to wake up.  However, I was thinking that if we are going to do PUPD, maybe we just unswaddle at the same time and sort of force her to get used to it.  Does that sound like a good idea, or will we just make things much harder on ourselves? 

3. Is it recommended to only do PUPD for bedtime to start, then add in night wakings and naps, or just go for it all at once? I heard somewhere (not sure where), to start with just bedtime, but continue the sleep props for naps so that LO doesn't get too over tired and once bedtime is figured out then add in naps. Also not sure if when she wakes at night to do PUPD or not?  I think she probably still needs at least one feed during the night but after that I'm not too sure if she does or not.  Certainly after 3am I don't think she needs anything until she wakes at 7.  She is EBF.

If it helps, here is her rough EASY:

7am - Wake
7:30 - Eat
9am - Sleep (1 hr)
10am - Wake
10:30am - Eat
12pm - Sleep (2 hrs)
2pm - Wake
2:30pm - Eat
4pm - Sleep (30-45 min)
4:45pm - Wake
5pm - Eat
6:45pm - Bedtime routine (bath, book, last feeding of the day)
7:15pm - Sleep (usually sleeps sometime between 7:15 and 8pm. 
12:30am - Wakes and nurses
3:00am - Wakes and nurses
3am-7am - Usually wakes at least 2-3 times, sometimes won't settle back in the crib for an hour or more at a time. 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:37:44 pm »
Hugs!! 1hr stretches are surely not enough for either you or baby.

1. When doing PUPD, is it ok if DH and I switch off every 20 min or so, or will that confuse/stimulate her?

I don't recommend switching off on the same night. Perhaps switch nights and try to do whatever it takes for you to be able to have a good night's rest. It will recharge you for the ensuing nights.

2. We are still swaddling and I have tried a few times unsuccessfully to wean her of it.  I read the swaddle weaning sticky, and it seems like maybe she still isn't ready to be unswaddled since it definitely causes her to wake up.  However, I was thinking that if we are going to do PUPD, maybe we just unswaddle at the same time and sort of force her to get used to it.  Does that sound like a good idea, or will we just make things much harder on ourselves? 

If it's a safety concern, ie. she is rolling onto her tummy, then yes, wean the swaddle along with the PUPD. If not, I would wait until she is sleeping independently because you are also tackling NWs and naps. However, I know that some parents here prefer to let go of all props at once... it's just not easy and you have to be absolutely consistent and patient.

3. Is it recommended to only do PUPD for bedtime to start, then add in night wakings and naps, or just go for it all at once? I heard somewhere (not sure where), to start with just bedtime, but continue the sleep props for naps so that LO doesn't get too over tired and once bedtime is figured out then add in naps. Also not sure if when she wakes at night to do PUPD or not?  I think she probably still needs at least one feed during the night but after that I'm not too sure if she does or not.  Certainly after 3am I don't think she needs anything until she wakes at 7.  She is EBF.

I heard that too and that nights and naps are categorized differently in baby's brains?? IME I did them separately to avoid OT as well.  As for night wakes and feeds, certainly feed then try PUPD after... it's the same premise, putting down awake but comforting as needed until she can fall asleep on her own.  If she falls asleep while on your breast, then gently stir her awake and put her down in the crib. Again IME, they start to resettle for NWs almost immediately after they learn how to for bedtime.

Hope that helps! And remember, like Tracy said, it can take many many PUPDs, but by day 3, you should see some progress and for us, by day 5, DS really go the hang of it.

=)