Author Topic: Need advice with 11 month napping schedule.  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Jojo290615

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need advice with 11 month napping schedule.
« on: May 17, 2016, 08:21:09 am »
Hi

Can anyone advise me on lo's napping schedule?

I am having difficulty lately fitting 2 naps in during the day. Especially the second one .. Lo takes quite a while to get to sleep and will often only sleep for 30 minutes. The afternoon nap seems to also interfere with bedtime. Lo takes quite a long time to settle, wants to stand up and cries when we leave the room. ( I will take this issue to another thread :) )
The first nap is also getting a bit tough ..  I'm pretty sure that he could go down at 10:00 without any problem but this would push everything back further regarding second nap.

Here is my lo EASY schedule.
6:00 WU and milk
8:00 breakfast solids
9:30 nap
11:00 WU and snack
13:00 lunch solids
14:30 nap
15:00/15:30 WU milk
17:00 diner
18:00 bedtime routine and milk at 18:30

He will usually fall asleep around 19:00/19:15 but this is only if we are there to settle him.
We used to be able to just lay him down , he would fall asleep by himself. But now he stands up and wants to play.
He has also been waking up crying about an hour later .. Not sure if this is to do with the naps and being UT or separation anxiety. its not like him at all.

We don't really want him to go to bed -and fall asleep later than 19:00

Not sure what to do.. Any advice would be very welcome :)

Thank you !!:)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:24:29 am by Jojo290615 »

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Re: Need advice with 11 month napping schedule.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 13:18:19 pm »
Hi Jojo!

Ah, you've hit the can't force him to stay laying/not enough hours in the day era. ;)

Here are some links that might give you insight to this stage... then come back and let us know what you think and we can go from there.

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

Developmental Milestones

May I also suggest jumping on this board with fellow BWs transitioning from 2 to 1 nap?
Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 17:22:43 pm »
Hi Ginger !
Thanks for the reply :)
Yes and the not wanting to be changed, hands and face washed era !!  ;D and today not wanting to sit in his high hair era. ! 😬

I think the solution that would suit my lo would be the short AM nap and longer PM nap.
He does tend to wake up early and need a longer A time before bedtime. Especially these days .. He just wants to play at bedtime! he gets loads of floor time, and he knows how to sit back down again! But as soon as we lay him down .. He pops back up again and if we go out the room he will cry and grizzle arrrrrgg !

What times would you advise according to my Easy schedule?
Thanks!

Offline ginger428

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 17:46:03 pm »
Oh yes! Change refusal was strong with my DS. ;)

I would try the first nap at 9:45, and cap it by 15mins.  Bring pm nap up to 2:15.

OR, if you think your LO can adjust quickly or happens to have a short am nap one day,

Nap 1 9:45, cap at 45 min (eventually to 30 min)
Nap 2 2:00

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 18:11:16 pm »
Thanks Ginger !
How long would you recommend the second nap ?

Offline ginger428

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 18:37:47 pm »
Not sure actually... you want a bedtime of 7:00, but that'll require a wake up around 2:30/3:00 which makes for a short pm nap if it starts at 2:15!

Until you get the am nap to 30 mins, the pm nap will be close to where it is currently, which does push your bedtime later.  So tbh, you might have to push bt later temporarily, until you bring the pm nap much earlier. OR you start the 30 min am nap right away. What do you think?

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 06:29:41 am »
Hi again:)
Funny enough yesterday morning I put lo down for his morning nap .. And he didn't fall asleep until 9:45, then he woke at 10:30!
So his afternoon nap started at 2:00pm but also didn't want to sleep ! Grrr ! He drifted off around 2:15 and I woke him at 3:30.. He was asleep by 7:00. And woke up at 6:00 this morning sleeping through the night.

Not sure if it has much to do with tiredness right now.. It seems he is fighting naps and doesn't want to miss out on anything! And doesn't want to be alone !

I think I will give the short AM nap a go .. 30 mins and try and put him down abut before 14:00 so he has time to settle. And maybe wake him at 3:15 ..
Is this enough sleep do you think ?

Offline ginger428

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 12:38:40 pm »
Great news about the night!

Total day sleep is lower than avg but it seems ok.  1hr30min is 2 sleep cycles, so he'll feel better rested after that instead of 1:15. But it's up to you! For the pm nap at 2:00, I wouldn't put him down too much before 2:00, less he is not sleepy enough. Maybe like 1:55 or so.

Haha, yes they don't want to miss a beat! 

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 06:33:43 am »
Hi there !

The short morning nap didn't really work out ... I woke him 40 minutes after putting him down. And was tired and grumpy all morning:( he went down quite easy for his afternoon nap so that was positive.. And he was easier to put down for bedtime !
But he woke at 2:00 and didn't fall back for 45 minutes , then he woke at 5:30!! :(
So he is back to taking a long morning nap at 9:30 until 10:45/11:00( wakes up by himself ) then I put him down 14:25 and he sleeps for around 30 minutes. And is sleeping before 19:00 and sleeps through yay !! BUT his new waking time seems to be getting earlier 😭 5:20 this morning !

so not sure what to do :(

Offline ginger428

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 00:08:28 am »
I've definitely heard of people here having to switch from short am cn to short pm cn (which i also did in a way). Again, great news about the night but that EW isn't pleasant, is it? I'm thinking after a long am nap, the afternoon A can be slightly longer but definitely capped. You can try working towards making that pm nap 25 min, 20 min, etc.. Every 3-4 days. It's however slow or fast your little man will adjust. So for example,
2:30pm, 25 min for a few days
2:35pm, 20 min, etc...

Hopefully this will allow him to tack on to night sleep. Once morning wake ups get later, you'll have to simultaneously move morning nap time later. So 9:35, 9:45, etc...

If your DS usually adjusts well to quick changes, I would push the morning nap to 10 as soon as you can, and start moving pm naptime, too. This may help with EWs

This phase was the longest and many, many adjustments are usually made. So it's ok not to expect one nap at 11:30/11:45 for a while yet. As you probably already read about. Hang in there! And we had horrible nights during this time so it's great to hear DS is doing great with ONS. :)

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 08:00:08 am »
Hi ginger !
Thanks for that :)

Today I have started the long AM short Pm nap.

Lo has been waking up in the night around 4 for the last couple of days and still early waking.

So I put him down at 9:45 ... And let him sleep as long as wants.
Then for the pm nap I'll put him down 2:30pm for 25 mins

Still a bit confused about the pm nap..  As bubs morning nap gets closer to the pm nap do I make the pm nap later ?

He has also been waking up about an hour after we put him down at bedtime. Do you know what this is due to ?

Just a quick update

Lo fell asleep at 9:45 and slept until 12:00 where I woke him up. He was probably catching up from yesterday where he was an hour late for his bedtime .. We were out and had train problems :(

Anyway .. Pm nap was tough for him to get to sleep. Finally slept at 2:50 I will wake him at 3:15. 

Should I let him sleep until he wakes for the am nap or cap it ? If so how long ?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 13:08:08 pm by Jojo290615 »

Offline ginger428

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 18:38:53 pm »
Still a bit confused about the pm nap..  As bubs morning nap gets closer to the pm nap do I make the pm nap later ?

Yes! Towards the end of our transition, the pm nap was at 5:00 for 10-15 mins in the car!

He has also been waking up about an hour after we put him down at bedtime. Do you know what this is due to ?

He can definitely be OT with the transition. Naps ending at before 3 will be hard to make it to bedtime, so adjust the start of the pm nap if he has a long am one... to answer this question-

Should I let him sleep until he wakes for the am nap or cap it ? If so how long ?

He was probably very UT for the pm nap if had just ended at 12:00. Keep morning nap at a set time, but adjust the start of the afternoon nap and bedtime. For instance...

Wu 6:00
Nap 10-12
Nap 4:00-4:25
Bedtime 7:00

If he has a shorter am nap:
Nap 10-11:30
Nap 3:30-3:55
Bedtime 6:45ish if needed

No, because this is the nap you want to keep. =)

Hope that helps!

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 21:15:04 pm »
Thanks ginger !
Had a weird day yesterday. Lo fell asleep the night before last perfect .. No crying no fussing ..said good night and he fell asleep alone at around 6:45 pm. He has been really good at falling asleep alone from around 6 months. Until about a month ago.. Where we need to settle him.. No rocking in arms etc but just ssshing him in his crib.
 He slept through until 5:00 woke up crying but we settled him back very easy ... Then he slept until 6:40!!!! So this kind of threw the day out a bit.
So I put him down for his nap at 10:30... 4 hours A time. He woke at 12:00.
Then I put him down for his cat nap at 3:20 pm and woke him 25 mins later. I was worried that leaving it until 16:00 would interfere with bedtime.
He was a bit cranky and tired .. So I thought maybe an earlier bedtime ?.. I made sure he was in bed at 6:30pm .. He was not happy ! He was crying fussing , moving all over the place!  So maybe could he be overtired ? He would not fall asleep without me standing there. Anyway he finally fell asleep around 7:20! PM. He slept through until 5:30! Arrrrgg! Didn't want to go back to sleep.
I put him down for his nap today at 10:00 trying to have a set time for this nap. He fell asleep within 2 mins and He slept until 11:20 managed to settle him back again and he woke at 12:10...

He had a cat nap in the car at 3:30 as we were invited out for diner. Bedtime and evening was a bit messy as we were not home. Hope it won't mess his night up!

Anyway i Just have a few questions.. Hehe

-What happens if he does wake up earlier in the morning,  later than 6:00. Or earlier Should I keep a fixed time for the first nap ? Or stick to 4 hours A time ..

-I'm a bit worried that if he sleeps past 4:00pm that this interferes with his bedtime ? Or ?

- I'm also having a bit of trouble with his feeding times.
Before we followed EASY
Milk when he wakes
Snack after first nap
Lunch around 12:30/1:00
Milk after afternoon nap at 15:30
Then diner at 5:00
And milk at bedtime
but now I'm finding it hard to fit the mid morning snack in. I have been giving it to him before his 10:00 nap but he has breakfast at 8:00 so he is not that bothered and only has a couple of bites of banana.
Do you have any suggestions for a new EASY plan ?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 07:54:42 am »
Hi there Jojo
I found the 2-1 very messy tbh, in the end for me the only solution was to move to one nap, expect the worse, and hope for the best.

It looks to me like your LO might be able to hang on to the second nap for a little while but perhaps only if the A times are long enough and this may mean moving BT later for a little while.  I know you want BT at 7pm but it's a short term move really, once he moves to 1 nap BT would come earlier so the Y time you lose now you regain at a later date (hopefully!).

To me it looks like you might be able to try something like:
WU 6
A 4hr (and increasing)
S 10 - 12 (and getting later)
A 3hr 30
CN 3.30 - 4 (and decreasing length, I see you are at about 25 mins now so this can be reduced over time)
A 4hr (mine would find this impossible, it would be too long after a CN but yours looks like he needs/wants this 4hr before BT would you agree?)
BT 8pm (this would be the latest)

A logically smooth way forward would be that the first nap remains long and is moved later and later in the day (until you get roughly A 5hr, S 2hr, A 5hr, and 12hr night) and at the same time the CN reduces in length by the CN starting later and ending at roughly the same time.  Thing is with sleep though is that often these things do not follow the logical or smooth plan we have in mind.

A little experience of my own - my DS did a marvellous 2hr morning nap and I felt logically he would continue to do this, I could drop the CN and move BT earlier - wrong - he started OT waking from his nap and it was very hard work for a time for me to get him back to sleep.  Daily screaming mid nap, not pretty and I was pretty much forcing him back to sleep (rather than soothing back to sleep I was telling/instructing him to go back to sleep, kind of a mummy knows best attitude!), eventually I was able to W2S every 20 mins through his nap to keep him asleep and avoid the screaming WUs and as he overcame his OT and as he learned that he really must stay asleep for the full nap things got better. Eventually he had that 2hr nap back on track and our 2-1 transition was complete.  The 2hr nap routine lasted about 1.5 years just moving slightly later as needed. What I'm saying is this time might be incredibly hard for you, but once you are through it you will hopefully enjoy some predictability and a sound routine for quite some time :)

As things progress you might get to a point where you feel you'd rather move directly to one nap and ride it out, as I did.

You might, with 2 naps, find some days where skipping the CN is preferable for instance if LO wakes later in the morning (say 7am or after) as the day could then look more like:
WU 7
A 4hr 30 (remember this is an increasing A time so whilst it may be 4hr now you will be moving it up to keep LO settling well and keep the nap long - I'm just showing a guidance here)
S 11.30 - 1.30
A 4hr
BT 5.30 (yes it's very early, LO could do a one off 13hr night having missed a CN or may wake at 5.30 meaning the following day 2 naps are needed to get through the day)

These are all just examples and not strict schedule times.

WRT to E times I would just squeeze them in wherever you can.  If you are not sure if he will eat well serve a small portion of what you have prepared so that the rest can be saved for later if needed.

hope this helps some :)

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 09:03:04 am »
Thanks creations !

When should I continue to increase the A times ? And decreasing the cat nap ? Should it be every 3/4 days or longer ?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 09:08:14 am »
Yes 3 days sounds good for increases.
If you hit upon a time when things look settled and great then just stop there...if you don't then I'd keep on moving towards that nap drop. It is really going to depend on LO, not watching every single nuance of time shifts but the overall mood and reaction to capped CN and increased A times.
Some people have found it smooth going, increasing A, reducing CN say down to 20 mins staying there a while then reducing down to say 10 mins every day and staying there until it needed changing again and then dropping the CN but I know mine wouldn't have done it that way so it really depends on the individual.

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 09:13:33 am »
Great thanks ! Ill see how things go over a couple days and as you said if he sleeps through and wakes up at 6:00 a happy baby .. Then I'll keep the routine until we need to change again ! :)

Offline ginger428

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 01:21:18 am »
Hoping for many 6:00+ wake ups and solid nights for you!!!

Thanks for helping Creations.  :-*

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 05:12:13 am »
Hi !
Here is a little update.

After the last post I wrote here things went pretty good.. He kind of fell back to our old routine.
WU 5:45
E
A
S:9:45-11:00
E
A
S: 2:45pm-15:30
E
A
S: 6:30pm

I found that if I put him to bed later he would wake up earlier .. So I tried putting him to bed a bit earlier and it worked. 5:45 stills bit early but I can handle that .. I often leave him to babble and play happily until 6:30 anyway.
This worked for about 1 week, then he started waking up at 5:00 again !! Grrr. So I stretched his awake time eventually to 10:15 and he was back on track. However he doesn't sleep longer than 1h15 for that first nap !! So needs a bit longer catnap around 2:45. The problem is where I am eventually increasing the first A time to transition to 1 nap the afternoon cat nap needs to be a bit longer but is getting later. Because 1h15 nap is not really enough. He is a bit grumpy .
Here was our easy yesterday..
WU : 5:45
S: 10:30-11:50
S 3:10-3:40pm (had to wake him and he was grumpy :( )
S:6:40

He always seems to wake about an hour later after bedtime crying, he is easy to settle though.

Last night we had two night wakings. At 10:00 and 12:30 but quite easy to get back. I first heard him around 6:00.. He was standing up crying in his cot .. Which is a bit unusual. I normally give him a book and toy to play with in his cot while I get dressed and wake up a bit . But this morning he was having none of it.

He has just entered leap 8 .. And these leaps are very predictable with my lo. So could be why he is a bit cranky.

Should I increase the first A time already to get a longer nap ? I have tried being there to resettle about 10 minutes before he wakes up. Yesterday I was tried for 25 minutes to get him back . It didn't work... He was yawning but where he has slept quite well .. He isn't quite tired enough to go back.

I am tempted to try short am nap and long pm nap but somehow my gut feeling tells me he needs that long morning nap. He has always slept longer in the morning .
What do you think ?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 09:41:40 am »
Hi, it's great things went well for a while :)
The 2-1 is a tricky time, well it was for me and my DS!  I envy those who find a smooth route through the transition.  The thing to remember though is that you *will* get through it even if it's a rough patch, eventually the routine does work out and settle back down again.

I would say, looking at your times, that now might be the time to make the leap to 1 nap.  You already have a feeling of moving the first nap a bit later which would help with a resettle or a W2S to get a longer nap, and as soon as you get a longer nap it becomes hard to fit in that CN so instead you go for EBT.
Your routine might look something like this:
WU 5.45
A 5hr
S 10.45/11 - 1.00
A 4 hr
BT 5.00
Although like I said, it is not always smooth going.  My DS suddenly stopped doing his regular 2hr nap when we dropped to 1 nap and was doing 20 mins OT napping instead, my only option was to W2S or resettle as many times as I could to get some sleep into him and eventually he settled back down onto his 2hr nap.
Moving to 1 nap *can* mess that nap up because of the OT involved, but there may not be other options which work any better.
If your LO is okay with a capped CN (is see he was grumpy when you capped the CN, this is okay if he recovers relatively quickly though with some cuddles and time to wake up) then you can keep capping it shorter and shorter over the coming weeks keeping in mind that he might be grumpy after that CN.
It may also be an option for a short time to allow a full CN but to move BT later.  This could work for a little while because you may then get a slightly later WU in the morning and gradually the first nap moves a bit later etc.  Clearly you can't do this indefinitely as WU and BT both move and need to stop at a reasonable time...but it could get you through a couple of weeks and by then he may be more able to cope with a longer second A time and then EBT or a capped cN.  A few weeks different in development really can make a difference to the ability to cope with tiredness.

So there are a few ideas there for you to think about, only you really know what will suit your LO best or what you prefer to try.
Personally I would not switch to a short am nap.  I would maintain the habit of a long nap as much as you possibly can, encouraging that nap to lengthen and move later in the day...it eventually comes at late morning/lunch time and as he gets older it may be in the early afternoon.

Keep in mind too that whilst on 2 naps your LO is unlikely to do a longer night.  When you cap the CN or cut it out and move to 1 nap your LO will likely extend the night sleep.  You might see 12 hrs per night rather than the 11 you currently get.

Hope this helps some

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 15:57:06 pm »
Hi creations
Thanks for your reply and advice

The day of my post on Sunday . Lo napped  from 10:30am to 12:20 pm ! Yay
He had a cn around 3:45.. For 15 minutes. Then bedtime was 6:30pm.
Slept through but a bit agitated in his sleep. And he woke up 5:30. 

Had a messy day Monday ..  Had to be out of the house as a repair man was there.  So I took lo to the park to nap.. He always naps in his pram but usually on the terrace. He woke up after an hour, saw we weren't home and wouldn't fall back again.

Our day was the following
WU: 5:30!!!! Grrr
S: 10:30- 11:30
S 2:50- 15:30
S: 6:30 PM

And Yesterday he woke at 5:15!! I tried to resettle him but this didn't work .. And it was then 6:00 so I gave in :(

I was a little stuck on when to give him his nap..  But I really want to keep up the same time so he went down at 10:45 which is a long A time :(
He woke again after an hour ! And was quite hard to get back again but I managed and he slept until 13:15

We kept an eye on his cues , sleepiness and so on.. And he was great all afternoon .. So we skipped the cat nap and put him to bed at 6:00 and he fell asleep quite fast. He woke an hour later but was easy to resettle again . He then slept through until 5:45 !!!!! Yay !! So that was really good !
 So today I kept the same first A times as yesterday  .. 5.5 hours and put him down at 11:15. I put him in his crib, instead of his pram.. Thinking he might sleep better... He woke after an hour , I started to resettle a bit before .. But he woke up .. And immediately tried to stand up ( which he can't do in his pram !) I tried to settle him for 40 minutes .. Impossible , the little devil was having non of it ! Haha so I opted for the early bedtime 5:30pm.  Let's see how the night goes .. And WU..!

Is this waking after an hour nap over tiredness ? How can I get past it ? Just resettle and eventually he will transition to 2 hours ? Because before he would sleep 1h20 minutes in the morning.

This is definitely a tricky phase !

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 06:35:43 am »
Hi just wanted to update you quickly on how the night went.. I put lo down for an SEBT at 5:30 pm , he slept through until 5:30 am bless him :) so he is doing his 12 hours a night and catching up on his sleep. So hopefully no OT is creeping in yet.
Just need to get him to sleep longer for his nap and then gradually move things forward.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 11:19:48 am »
The 1hr nap could be OT yes.  I think the only things you can do really (which you are already doign) is to aim to be consistent with the nap time so he can get used to it and to keep resettling him at that WU both to teach him he needs to sleep and to help him avoid further OT.
an hour is quite good in my opinion as mine started doing 20 min naps during the 2-1!!!! Imagine!  I was pretty much fighting him back to sleep until I worked out the W2S could help.

Honestly I think you're doing really well - keep going :) xx

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 11:53:59 am »
Thanks ! :) im really proud of him .. so far hehe !

Oh wow the 20 minutes must have tough!
Actually today lo slept the full 2 hours ! 11:15-1:15 !  I tried something a bit different today.. Lo slept in his pram in the bedroom .. I was ready in the room for his hour wake up but hid a bit.. He stirred and fussed a minute, I jiggled the pram lightly but stayed out of sight and he resettled. I wonder if when he sees me .. This wakes him up more ! I'll try the same tomorrow again..
So tonight, I'll try for a 6:15 bedtime .. Watching his cues etc !
Actually his A time was a bit longer today .. 5h45 ... He pooed last minute so went down a bit later for his nap.
If all goes well today and he sleeps through to around 6:00am .. Would you recommend keeping this routine for a while ? or pushing back gradually the A time until it reaches 12:30pm ? ( after lunch nap ? )

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 12:07:55 pm »
Wow you really are doing so so well!

I like your jiggling in the pram thing at the 1hr mark.  It really does help to teach them to stay asleep even if they are usually fully independent.  I'd do that a few days and then try to hold off from doing it to see what happens as you don't want a long term prop - although saying that I had to do the 20 min W2S several times per nap for weeks to get my DS back on track!  he did not lose his ability to self sooth he was just so OT he couldn't sleep properly (but wouldn't take 2 naps either so there was no choice but to stick to 1 nap and make the most of it).
Would you recommend keeping this routine for a while ? or pushing back gradually the A time until it reaches 12:30pm ?
I'd stick with the time for a while, if morning Wu moves later then I'd shift the nap a little later to account for it, aiming for a set nap time rather than flexi times based on A times but even with a set nap we move it to suit the routine and then stick there.
I think he is likely too young yet to move to an after lunch nap which makes the morning A time very long...over time you will likely end up doing this though if/when he shows UT signs for the nap, meanwhile a good snack in the  morning and then late lunch should be okay, or some people do split lunches half before nap half after.  Mine needed a very substantial morning snack which was more like lunch really, it's just about being prepared for that and having the right kind of foods available at that time because you don't want to increase snack by just giving more and more fruit or more and more rice cakes yk? If the appetite is there then increase the fats/proteins and carbs and veggies into more of a meal even if it seems a bit of an odd time for it.

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2016, 12:21:23 pm »
Great then when he settles fully with the new routine, then I'll stick to it :)

I was a bit stuck for snacks and lunch etc.. I remember you mentioning the big snack before the nap.. So I did this with lo yesterday and today. He eats mainly finger foods for lunch.. Sandwich, omelette etc with veggies and fruit. So I split the lunch into two big snacks. Cheese sandwich with veggies and some yoghurt. Before and after nap. And it seemed to work fine. I'll give him some fruit for his afternoon snack then it's diner time haha!! I feel he is eating all day 😀

Thanks again for all your help and advice !

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2016, 14:00:39 pm »
Your meals sound great.  I know it seems like they eat all day!

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2016, 06:38:03 am »
Hi again !
I think I need to tweak the napping schedule a bit but not sure how to go about it .

Lo slept the other day for only one hour nap so I did a SEBT and he slept 12 hours.
The last two days he has managed to sleep 2 hour nap but is sleeping 11 hours.

This was Thursday
WU:5:30
S 11:15-1-15 pm
S 18:15

I thought I would try an early bedtime to see if he would wake up a bit later like he did the other day.
Friday :
WU: 5:20
S: 11:15-1-20
S: 5:45

Today he woke at 5:15!!
So it seems that he does t sleep more than 11 hours at night.

The problem is it's getting earlier and earlier so today the first nap will be earlier.. So I'll have to give him a cat nap or he he will be going to bed super earlier and waking up earlier .

I need to get him on a 6:00 am wake up.
What do you think ?
How long should I let him cn for ? I have a feeling that cn also make him wake up a bit early too.

Thanks xxx

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2016, 19:09:19 pm »
I would just continue as you are doing one nap and then the odd day with a short CN if and when you feel he needs it or to help move BT later.  If he will still take a short CN and still do BT afterwards then that is a great solution.  it's more difficult if LO refuses one or the other.
I think you did a 15 min CN before so perhaps that's a good length to try.

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Need advice with 11 month napping schedule
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2016, 05:45:05 am »
Thanks creations !

Lo woke up after 1h20 ...of his morning nap,  he resettled again but woke up after about 10 minutes. So "only" had 1h30 mins so had a can nap when out for a walk around 4pm for 20 minutes.. We put him to bed for 6:45 and he fell asleep around 7:15pm .. Had a tough time getting him to sleep.  Woke up a couple of times after that. But could be the leap 8

He woke around 5 this morning but resettled 20 minutes later until 6:30 so that's good we have reset bedtime now. So today will be one nap :)

Just wondering when they do have catnaps say for 20 minutes, what is their awake time before bedtime ?

Also this waking up after 1:20 mins.. Could this mean UT? He is currently on 5h45 A time ? Should I increase a bit ?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 05:51:57 am by Jojo290615 »

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2016, 07:34:03 am »
Just wondering when they do have catnaps say for 20 minutes, what is their awake time before bedtime ?
There may be members of the community who could give you an idea of this but in my experience LOs are all so different it's impossible to say.  You might get some ideas on the 2-1 support thread?
I think if you record how things go for your own LO, how long the CN and how long to bed, looking at fussing or refusal at BT etc then you will be able to gauge it from how he responds.  Maybe capping the nap at 10 or 15 mins if there is reluctance at BT?  I know some end up with a super late BT is they CN which is why I say I can't really answer this. Sorry.

It's great you managed to get back to a decent WU and can go to a one nap day - good luck :)

Also this waking up after 1:20 mins.. Could this mean UT? He is currently on 5h45 A time ? Should I increase a bit ?
It could well be, yes.  It may help to try another 10-15 mins on the A to see if he can transition because it does look like he is tired enough to go back with help but not alone.  A longer A time also helps to just get through the day as it moves the nap later too.  If you try a longer A and end up with OT wake ups you can always bring it back a bit again, how about trying for 3-5 days?

You're doing really well!  No where near as tricky as our 2-1!

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2016, 09:12:42 am »
I'll try 6 hours and see how it goes :)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 13:51:05 pm »
Hi, I know it's only been a few days, just wondering how things are going?

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 20:34:29 pm »
Hi!
Thanks for your message :)

We are actually in France right now for a couple of weeks. We arrived yesterday at my mums .. Lo had to wake up early and nap in the plane.. Car etc .. So last nights sleep was not good.. Due to a big day , overtiredness and sleeping in a new place. He was awake at 4;45 this morning ! But we are more or less back on track .. Had a 1h30 nap this morning and a cat nap this afternoon .. Went down around 6:45 pm .. Only woke up once so far ( one hour after bedtime) so fingers crossed he will sleep well :)

xxx

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2016, 20:47:47 pm »
Sounds like you've all managed really well with the travel and sleeping etc :)
Enjoy your holiday :)

Offline Jojo290615

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2016, 04:22:13 am »
Hi !
I have posted in the sleep for toddlers section as lo is now 12,5 months .
xx