Author Topic: Back for some help with our routine  (Read 1307 times)

Offline hohoh1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:09:15 am »
I'm trying to figure out what my 7 month old boy needs - he seems to be a low sleep-need baby*. If something wakes him at 10 hours asleep he won't really go back down. I think we are in the middle of the 3 - 2 nap transition but I rarely let him have two naps because it is supremely important to me to make it to a 7.30pm bedtime - not least because he sleeps 10.5 hours a night on average. Also because that's the only way he'll see his dad for 15 mins or so each weekday.

I have experimented a lot with his A time and it is hard to get him to go down even at the 3 hour mark unless he is oevrtired from a very early waking/short first nap. 3 hours 15 is semi-reliable

Our typical days at the moment:

WT 5.40-6.30 - *this has been at the earlier end for about a week but I try to keep him in bed til 6. It varies every day though, sometimes because a noise wakes him - I can't do much about this. *
E 6.30
A 3H15 TO 3H30 *if he woke very early*
SOLIDS 8.00
S 9.00-9.15 - 45 mins. *I usually wake him from this so the second nap doesn't get too late*
E 10.30
A 3H15
SOLIDS 12.00
S 1-1.30 - 1 hour - 1 hour 20. *Sometimes as little as 40 mins, usually will resettle if I give him the chance*
E 2.30pm
A 2H30
S - 4.30pm - this is very consistent and always in the pram. I make it earlier if his lunch nap was awful. He seems to need this sleep to make it to bedtime although it is always 15-30 mins only. I doubt he would take this nap in bed, he needs to be really tired to settle to sleep on his own by this late in the day which is partly why I hesitate to cut down to 2 naps, I worry if the second nap is too late in the afternoon it will always be a short nap because his biorythms make him less sleepy by this point, and it will mess up our days.
SOLIDS - 5pm
A 2H30
E (bedtime milk) 6.30pm
BT 7.15, asleep by 7.30

He sleeps through until 2-4am, feeds once, then sleeps til morning.

I had advice last time I posted here on cutting him down to 2 naps but I worry we will slip to an early bedtime. Maybe I should just allow his first nap to be the long one? I'm letting it run on right now and he's been down over an hour so he clearly could take a long nap first thing.

* edit to add - by low sleep needs I mean he does fine on about 2 hours total day sleep and 10-11 hours at night. That is less than a lot of the babies his age I know who do more like 12 hours at night and 3 in the day.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:14:34 am by hohoh1 »

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Back for some help with our routine
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 01:32:44 am »
I do agree that moving to 2 naps is probably the way to go right now, though with the earlier WUs I'm trying to think of a way to work it so that you have a 7:30pm BT as you would like...we usually try to recommend a 12hr day which would be hard with the earlier WUs.  That said I do wonder if your EWs are OT related (it was the case with my DS), so I am wondering if you can pull BT forward for a week or 2 just to see if it changes the WU? If he gets more than 2hrs of daytime sleep does it affect his nights at all?  Does he ever do naps longer than 1.20?

I'm thinking of maybe something like:

WU 6
E 6/6:15
A
S 9:15-10:45

E 10:45
A
S 2-3:30

E 3:30
A
S 7pm

What do you think?

Offline hohoh1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 08:20:42 am »
Belatedly, thanks so much for this. I tried it a few days and was so pleased and surprised to find he woke up later, i think thanks to getting more sleep overall! we had a 7am start. However the after-lunchtime nap was confusing - after a long morning nap his A times became really long (3.5 hours?!) and then the later nap was still really short, I think because it clashed with his usual feed time (2.30) or perhaps because he's only used to one longer nap. Then we had to do the catnap, with mixed success.. So yesterday I tried to regain control and woke him early from nap 1 to get a slightly longer nap 2 (1 hour) but this morning - back to 5.30am waking, due as you suggested to undertiredness, I suspect.

I maybe should give him 2nd feed and lunch a little later?

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Back for some help with our routine
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 16:25:54 pm »
Often after a good first nap they do need a longer second A time, but I'm wondering if it was actually too long so the second nap was OT?  If 3hr As are working then maybe just try for a slightly longer second A...maybe 3.15.