Author Topic: Waking up crying, sleeping less - discomfort? 18 mo SR?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Waking up crying, sleeping less - discomfort? 18 mo SR?
« on: May 18, 2016, 02:37:45 am »
DS will be 18 months at the end of this month and he's not sleeping as well as he used to. I noticed over the past 2 weeks that his WU has been creeping earlier and then the last 4 days he hasn't napped as long as usual and is waking up crying. He's also waking up crying in the morning. We were at my mom's on the weekend so I figured it was just the unfamiliarity but he did the same at daycare. Overall, he's been getting 13 h of sleep and he usually does 14-15 h. Does this sound the 18 month SR? He does have a cold (or seasonal allergies) right now so it could be discomfort but I'm really not sure.

His routine was:
WU: 7
S: 12-2:30/3
BT: 7

Now it's more like:
WU: 6 (crying)
S: 12-1:40
BT: 6:30
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Waking up crying, sleeping less - discomfort? 18 mo SR?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 04:30:48 am »
Has he gotten his canines and molars yet? If not could teething be at play alongside regression/illness?
Heidi

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 11:12:25 am »
Gosh, I hated that regression. We started to cut the nap to 1.5 from 2h at that age for him to settle and sleep at night. What's interesting I think that couple of weeks later, maybe months he needed 2h once again to be well rested so just a period to survive for us. It started around 17.5 here.
~Marta

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 03:07:40 am »
Has he gotten his canines and molars yet? If not could teething be at play alongside regression/illness?
He only has 6 teeth so it could definitely be that! Now that I'm thinking of it, I remember that DD always woke early when teething.

Interesting point, Marta. I noticed similar with DD also - times where she needs a short nap to settle at BT and then a while later, she's back to needing a big nap.

Despite the short naps and earlier waking, he hasn't seemed overly tired so I'm trying to take it in stride. It makes me wonder if he's OT when he wakes crying but I don't think there's much I can do so I'll just roll with it. He had his needles yesterday also so that may not help ;)
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 00:50:12 am »
Oh yikes that for sure won't! Otherwise the teething/regression combo is probably what is to blame...but then who ever knows with these toddlers sometimes ;)
Heidi

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 02:01:17 am »
He's also been walking more and just started saying a few words these past few days so there's surely some developmental stuff too...
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014