Author Topic: MSPI and weaning  (Read 4746 times)

Offline tathi-b

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: May 18, 2016, 07:34:09 am »
Hello Mummies,

My baby has milk protein hypersensitivity with delayed reaction - OMG was that difficult to diagnose! - but she has been doing really well on Similac Alimentum for a couple of months now.  No blips so far!  Prior to that she was on a mixture of Aptamil Pepti Junior (75%) and Aptamil Pepti (25%) which was working really well too.  So this to me says that she can cope with a small amount of protein. 

We are starting to wean her onto solids and I am thinking that it might also be a good time to start moving her onto milk products slowly - i.e. maybe add 1 part HA formula to her milk, or give her a small part of a biscuit? Her paediatrician said that I may as well give her half extensively hydrolysed and half regular formula but I feel that this would be too big a step for her.

Does anyone have any experience with reintroducing milk into a baby's diet before the 1 year mark?   

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: MSPI and weaning
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 18:17:21 pm »
Hi there, I am so sorry that your post was missed  :-[

How old is your LO? I think that some Los can our grow MSPI by the age of one but I am not sure how many do by 6 months (assuming you are around that mark now if thinking about weaning?)

Offline 1stimer

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 19:55:39 pm »
Ds had that issue and we waited until he was one. He was on breastmilk only and no dairy but once he was on solids we slowly introduced dairy. Very little to begin with because, as yoiuve experienced, a little can ruin things for a few days. He was probably closer to 10 months. I was terrified to try but it seemed that slowly worked best and now its a total non issue. Its amazing BC If I had a piece of cheese and he nursedlayer, we immediately noticed it in his comfort, behavior and sleep.

[/url]

Offline tathi-b

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 03:11:51 am »
Thanks ladies, she is 6 months next week and had been on formula pretty much from birth. Her only reaction when she had full milk was severe constipation and she also has silent reflux (which could or could not be linked to the CMPI.

It's always something on my mind, ever so slowly start her on the ladder as soon as she is ready and move at snails pace to give her body the time it needs.

I read the same thing - that children normally outgrow it by age one, but how do we know that they don't outgrow it at a younger age? Is it wrong to try?

Offline MommyN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 04:52:06 am »
My DS1 also didn't outgrow it till closer to a year. He was BF. I guess I knew because if I ever cheated and ate a bit of dairy we were back to gross green diapers. I only gave him dairy once he was fine with with me eating dairy.

I don't think I can say it's wrong to try, but I also don't see the point of trialing so early. I wouldn't think it's so important for a 6 month old to have dairy if she's doing well on Alimentum. Personally, I would give her more time. DS1 had no clue that he was missing out on anything by not having yogurt and cheese till a year. He had fruit veggies chicken eggs grains etc and was perfectly fine as he didn't know any better.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 06:22:52 am »
I didn't trial DS on dairy until he got to 12mo. Weaning onto solids was enough for his gut to cope with - I approached that very carefully as well - without irritating him with milk he couldn't cope with.

He's been ok on A2 milk since 2yo but doesn't tolerate other sorts of dairy - he has a problem with A1 casein and food labels are seldom that specific!

It's generally recommended not to trial dairy until 12mo, preferably under the guidance of a dietician and following the milk ladder  :)

Offline 1stimer

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 22:31:43 pm »
Same here as mommyn....I knew when he was getting better with dairy when I would try it !myself. My dd was on that same formula for her severe constipation. She was on lactulose until after 1 as well. I waited until 12 m for milk with her but all other dairy was fine for her. I would probably wait since she's so young still.

[/url]

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 03:54:14 am »
I started eating dairy and soy again at 8 months and it did not bother DS2 coming through my breast milk but when I would give him dairy directly such as yogurt, he would get terribly constipated. At 13 months he could finally eat foods that contained dairy without getting really constipated but what I ate and what came to him through my breast milk luckily stopped bothering him at 8 months!

I am currently diary free (and mostly soy free) with my 5.5 month old (DS3) and fingers crossed I can eat dairy without it bothering him in 2-3 short months!

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 09:56:40 am »
DD is 2.5 years old and we just started giving her dairy product, except milk, we haven't tried that yet, I kind of dread it, and she likes the milk she has no so I`m in no hurry.
We had a few trials earlier but they did not go well.
I completely agree with Hedgehog. Weaning solids is hard enough for the gut to cope with so I didn't even try to introduce milk before 12mnts. Just made sure she gets everything she needs and was in no hurry to introduce dairy.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:37:55 am by dache »

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 13:52:57 pm »
DS who couldn't tolerate allimentum and had some trials that did not go well was a little older. He couldn't tolerate dairy until he was about one and a half.  He was prescribed special juice and things to gain weight even after he turned one because he still couldn't handle the dairy and many solid foods.

DD2 who had less of a problem with dairy, couldn't tolerate it herself until nearer to about 10 months but I didn't really give her much until she was 12 months beyond some yogurt.

I breastfed both but DS needed prescription formula around 6 months as his gut seemed to need more healing in order to tolerate solid foods better. His reflux would flare and he would act like his belly hurt often. He was probably able to tolerate everything by age 2 and only occasionally had an upset stomach at that point. DD2 was able to breastfeed the whole year and we're still going. But around the time she began tolerating yogurt I introduced dairy back into my diet and she has been pretty good. Sometimes she has looser stools but she's eating a lot of solids and I can't be sure what the cause is and she's not in discomfort so I am being laid back about it.

I haven't heard about that many LOs outgrowing MPI by 6 months so I don't think I'd trial that young if it was me.