Author Topic: Bedtime issues once again  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: May 18, 2016, 12:56:28 pm »
Every time I think we are over the bedtime issue we have a set back. For a while we were having issues and we resolved it by leaving the door open and the light on low. Now we are back to the same bedtime issues where he doesn't want me to leave after bt routine he gets very upset and worked up after our typical routine.  He's also having trouble winding down during the bedtime routine.  I've been sitting with him a bit longer singing some songs but he still gets upset when I try to leave and when I do it takes him a while to settle but I talk to him from the stairs instead of going back in which tends to work him up more. Last night I  could tell he was tired so I stayed in the room and he fell sleep.   I would like to get back to the usual bedtime routine where he's fine to fall asleep without me.  Not sure if it has anything to do with being overtired or under tired if I should bring him up earlier or later

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Bedtime issues once again
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 04:33:20 am »
I saw you had another post about OS...do you think that and either ut or ot could be making bedtime tougher on him? What is your current bedtime routine? (He is getting close to 3 right?)
Heidi

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 07:35:56 am »
Could be developmental if it's close to his third birthday. My dd1 had big trouble nodding off in the run-up to that birthday. Just had to go with it and do EBT occasionally to help her catch up if needed. BT (and behaviour/mood) got heaps better again after her birthday.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 00:05:23 am »
Thanks everyone! Yes he will be 3 end of June! We do up for bt at 7 bath pjs songs and usually asleep brown 730-8 but he always went to sleep on his own no problem. Now I can't leave the room without him getting upset and crying. So many changes going to be happening with a baby coming early July and summer camp mud June and preschool in September. I guess it could be developmental. Doesn't seem to matter how much physical and/or mental activity he had in a day, like it used to.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:47:37 am »
I've even started waking him in the morning by 730 otherwise he was sleeping until 830. Just to help with bt but it's hit helping.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 04:40:00 am »
Do you think it is just developmental and also the impending sibling leading to some SA? Those are a lot of big changes! Does anyone beside you put him to bed ever? If so what happens?
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 11:53:07 am »
I'm sure it could be although I really don't think he "gets it". We also have been trying a drop off school class to prep him for nursery school since I've never dropped him anywhere before. My husband does the bt routine but he always wants me to stay to sing to him.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 00:47:58 am »
Even thought he may not get it quite the same way as an older child he can see the changes in you and probably knows something big will be happening soon. Has your DH ever done bedtime solo?
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 17:11:40 pm »
Yes dh used to always do bt alone. And then one night he wanted me.  I think he was sick maybe or it might have been when he started having bt issues where he was afraid and didn't want us to leave the room at night and we started leaving the light on abd his door open. Can't seem to figure out how to get back to dh doing bt without me.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 17:29:45 pm »
Can you go out for a walk or a coffee or something and be unavailable so that DH can see if it will work on his own? I remember with DD1 we were getting lots of nw's before DD2 was born and finally I slept in the spare room with earplugs and DH resttled her because she did not expect him to stay in the room - he just tucked her in and left and she was able to go back to sleep fine of course.
Heidi