Author Topic: two week old silent reflux while breast feeding  (Read 1723 times)

Offline blackwater

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
two week old silent reflux while breast feeding
« on: May 20, 2016, 16:08:24 pm »
hiya im writting this for my friend who has a womb infection on antibiotics, breast feeding -  going really well,  baby putting on loads of weight. Baby girl is two weeks old and diagnosed with silent reflux today and started on gaviscon. The babys mom was told give it after the feed to mix it with 15 mls in a paste but she can't get her dd to take it. She is going to try it at the start of next feed. Her dd is waking up squirming obviously uncomfortable the only place she will sleep is at a ninety degree angle on moms chest .. My friend had a very very rough pregnancy and i would hate for her to give up and change to bottles full time because she can't give the medicine and you can just dissolve it in a bottle. She is also worried as they said baby might get thrush from her antibiotics .. help and advice needed please thank you ..... 

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: two week old silent reflux while breast feeding
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 18:59:44 pm »
Sorry no experience with gaviscon, but Ranitidine worked well for DD, she wasn't diagnosed until later, but I imagine it would be just as easy to gently squirt it into her mouth with a narrow syringe at 2 weeks as it was at 2 months. Perhaps your friend could ask about Ranitidine if she can't get LO to take Gaviscon?

Offline blackwater

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 07:53:40 am »
Thanks i will mention that to her.. any other tips on the reflux that may be of help ..

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 14:19:21 pm »
I'd defo talk to gp about changing the meds.

Another option is to mix the gaviscon into an ounce of pumped milk and give it in a bottle at the start of a feed.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 19:02:59 pm »

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 13:12:11 pm »
 Hi, DD1 and 2 both suffered from reflux. You need to try gaviscon first, give it from bottle mixed with breast milk (it can cause constipation). If no improvement after 7 days baby should be presccribed  zantac (ranitidine) and again if no improvement bigger dosage and the last resort is losec. DD2 on losec now. Unfortunately it will take few weeks before you find the right thing as it takes time for most of these to work (usually 3-7 days). HTH😊