Author Topic: Paci replugging  (Read 999 times)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Paci replugging
« on: May 21, 2016, 15:27:33 pm »
My LO is 14 weeks and has silent reflux, which is now pretty much under control but she has become dependent on the paci to fall asleep.  Sometimes she can drop it and stay asleep for naps, but more often than not she wakes up and I have to replug it several times before she finally falls asleep and keeps it in the entire time, waking at 25-35 mins.
My sleep coach said not to replug it till she's in a full cry, which doesn't seem to be helping so far.  Any gentler ways to get her to fall asleep without it or at least be ok once it drops?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Paci replugging
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 15:44:47 pm »
Somewhere on this site - and I'll have to ask a Mod to find it since Search only seems to work for them :) - is a link to Elizabeth Pantley's "Gentle Removal" method to help wean babies from paci dependency. Maybe in Companion Books & Methods? Not on the best device for linking right now, sorry!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 16:42:55 pm »
I found it!  Thank you!  It says not to bother doing it at naptime if baby is a poor napper, which she absolutely is, so what should I do for naptime?  Hold it in till she's asleep?

Offline deb

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 17:48:50 pm »
If you can, I'd try to get at least one good nap out of her daily, so maybe try for the first nap and cut yourself some slack on the remainder. Short-napping is often a sign of UT, so I'd aim to break the cycle with the first nap first.

Are you sure the reflux itself isn't contributing? Silent reflux can be so tricky, and if that's what's waking her, if she's gained enough weight to need an uptick in dosage, might be another thing to check.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 20:39:00 pm »
The reflux isn't medicated, it's just not painful so the doc said not to bother with more meds.  We originally tried Zantac but it didn't work and I've cut things from my diet and limited her feeding amount to help  control it.  I think it does wake her up occasionally because it still comes up it just doesn't hurt her as far as we can tell.  Meaning when it comes up she doesn't react to it.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 12:44:44 pm »
Ok I ate out twice yesterday and she definitely had reflux waking her up when going down for bed last night but no crying or back arching so not painful.  Just startled her awake.  I tried the gentle removal and it worked after 8 tries. The first time. 😊  She kept waking after 2 minutes (seemed to be reflux because I'd hear bubbles gurgle a little).  So id start all over again and it was easier each time. Still took me 90 minutes to get her to sleep tho! 
Would it hurt to try for naps too?  Just wondering if the more I do it the faster it will be???

Offline deb

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 16:25:28 pm »
Since you've gotten this far, I'd go for it if it were me. Good luck! I had to abandon it 3 times since DD would get sick or sprout new teeth and need to go back to the paci and I was tired of starting from scratch so we eventually ended up going cold turkey (longest 3 nights of my life till it took!), but if you're this far in, why not take advantage of your momentum? :) Good luck!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 16:31:12 pm »
Thanks! I'm kinda stuck, I've been trying to do it for nap and she keeps hanging on tight and waking up and since naps are 25-40 mins anyway I'm hesitant to do it.  However...for naps all of a sudden she generally either keeps it in the whole time or it falls out after she's asleep and she wakes right back up again and I have to either sit there and replug or run back in and do it... Ok the fence about naps...
Anyway, glad to hear you were able to get rid of it.  Once she can put it in herself I don't care if she has it but we're 2-3 months away from that!  Luckily she doesn't need it at night once she's asleep, just for naps.  So really not sure what to do!

Offline deb

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 16:42:15 pm »
DD2 started replugging herself around 4-4.5 months, so maybe not as long as you think! ;)

Keep tweaking & experimenting - you may find a "sweet spot" to leave the room, or the replugging might spontaneously start.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 18:39:56 pm »
Will do! Thank you!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 13:51:39 pm »
Last night she was too feisty going to sleep, would keep waking up and laughing and smiling at me when it fell out or I would take it out.  After the 4 am feed she wouldn't settle without it so out of desperation I tucked it into her swaddle.  How bad is that? 😳

Offline deb

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 14:29:46 pm »
That's what we call APOP: Accidental Parenting On Purpose. And we all do it. Everyone here has done it, enough that there's an acronym for it! LOL

Today is a new day. :)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 14:45:30 pm »
Ok she's still sleeping and it's 7:45.  She used to wake around 6 or 6:30.  Maybe if I do this for naps I can get her to learn to transition????  Then once we have sleep down I can try to wean the paci?  We're on the verge of the 4 month sleep regression so maybe this will help get me through it a little easier? 

Offline deb

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 15:34:52 pm »
Fingers crossed!