Author Topic: 11 month baby throwing food .. And nedring distraction while eating  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Jojo290615

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My lo is 11 months old and from around 6 months he has more or less been blw. Was never interested in purees... And would only allow me to feed him porridge and yoghurt with a spoon.
Up to around 10 months he would eat lots of finger food, and also things like shepherd pie.. Spaghetti bolo etc . I would put it on his tray and he would happily feed himself .. or with a loaded spoon. I would often spoon feed the last bits to him and that was fine.
Since about week .. He is being a little devil hehe .. I give the food as usual, he will eat some then he will start to squish and throw it in the floor ! I know he is still hungry and that he eats a lot normally and so I end up feeding him the rest with the spoon... He needs to be holding a spoon at the same time.. But now he is dropping that .. Then if he can't play with a bowl or something he will fuss and refuse to eat !!
A few times I have lost patience and just stopped the meal, no dessert which he doesn't get all the time as I don't want him to expect something sweet after every time... Because he is always hungry for fruit or yoghurt!! 

Is this all normal... Not sure what I should do.

Is this just a phase  ?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
I would say they all have phases of playing with or dropping food. I would serve less, so one bit on his tray and the rest out of reach on a plate then once he has eaten what is on his tray he can have more, it just reduces the amount that can be thrown.  Or, as you have done end the meal.  When I ended a meal early I would try to keep it light hearted and just say "okay you aren't hungry, let's finish" and I might give him one chance to come back if he changed his mind but I wouldn't have him coming to and from the meal repeatedly, it's either eat or don't.  He can always make up for it at the next meal.

Appetites tend to drop at around 12 months so this may be part of it although your LO is only 11 months.  Teething can also have a big effect.  I would try to stay calm and not worry but avoid too much of a habit of the dropping by not letting it happen.
Your LO might also like to play some fill and dump games so perhaps you can set him up in A time with some dry pasta and cups so he can pour and fill.

Offline Jojo290615

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Thanks for your reply and advice :)

I gave him some big pasta shapes in his cups and he put them in and then emptied  them out. Then started throwing them haha !

He is actually interested in throwing everything right now !:) but he has always been quite partial to dropping his food but this was a sign he was full. But now I know he is hungry .. He is eating a lot these days !

Just another phase to ride out :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
If he is interested in throwing I'd suggest setting up some A time activities where it is ok to throw, so a soft sponge ball if it's indoors or some rolled up socks to throw into the laundry basket things like that, it might help him fulfil that need in an acceptable way rather than with his dinner.