Author Topic: How to survive 4 month sleep regression without routine totally falling apart  (Read 935 times)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
I have a short napper but she was an amazing night sleeper.  We had a routine, not amazing but it was working.  My question is, what are some tips for making it through this without losing every ounce of progress we made?
What is ok to compromise on, what should we stick to our guns on, and so forth?

Thanks!

Offline shinysarah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi,
What is/was her routine?  It can be 'normal' at this age for it all to fall apart a little!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
I agree, routine will change constantly for most of the first year, and you need to kind of 'go with it'.  I think the two most useful pieces of advice I can offer (personal opinions!) would be (1) waking up more for feeds at night at around the 4 month mark is normal - there's a big growth spurt and LOs are getting more active so need more calories, so don't see a feed or two creeping back in as necessarily losing ground/going backwards, and (2) continue to encourage independent sleep habits.  It seems to me that the 4 month regression is very much tied into props going from the thing that a small baby needs, to habits that subsequently need to be broken.  So anything you can do to continue to encourage independent sleeping can only help!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
Thanks!  Totally expect it to change and get somewhat off track but want to have something to build on (sor good habits left) after the regression is over. 😊
As for our routine, it's basically a 2 hour east because she's such s short napper, plus she got reflux so feeding her more often works for us.  She was going 6-10 hours between feeds at night but now it's at 3-6.  I just really got to enjoying my sleep and it's hard to have it go out the window but know it's to be expected.

However, she generally wakes to feed between 4 and 5 and I've been letting her sleep the rest of the morning in my arms because if I don't she is really hard to get back down.  I know this is such a bad habit!

Offline shinysarah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
I think sometimes you just do what you do to get you through. Hopefully it won't last forever and your lo will be back on track soon!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
We are in the 4 month regression, DS2 is 17 weeks. Some days are worse than others but I try and keep BT consistent and try at least 1 nap a day in cot, if it all goes wrong we go out for a walk or drive.

I'm just trying to go with the flow but keep an eye on OT so we don't get in a total mess.

We have reflux too, are u medicated?
Zoe

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
Thank you!  So far she's taking all naps in crib still and sleeping there at night unless she wakes after 4.  I don't think we're in the thick of it yet tho!  She is not medicated... We tried Zantac with no luck but I started a strict elimination diet early on and that helped tremendously so her reflux is not painful.  She doesn't cry and occasionally if I get a little off track with my eating she gets fussy and is fine once I get back on track!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Sounds good so far, fingers crossed its not too bad  :)
Zoe