Author Topic: How does your baby self soothe to sleep?  (Read 1014 times)

Offline whattoexpect

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 26, 2016, 00:56:23 am »
I am starting a new thread on this topic to get some ideas.
I'd like to observe and encourage DD.

Starring at something (mobile, aquarium, some image etc)

Listening to something (music, white noise ...)

Sucking/licking  something (hand, paci, lovie)

Making noise (humming babbling whining...)

Hugging touching something (lovie, toys ...)

Playing/rolling and conk out

Any other patterns and ideas?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 00:58:13 am by whattoexpect »

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: How does your baby self soothe to sleep?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 02:46:01 am »
I think this is one that really varies depending on the baby.  My dd1 found her thumb right at 4 months and sucked it until she was almost 9.  My dd2 snuggles with a lovey -- before we would let her slee with it she would try to stuff her face into whatever cloth she could find.  Ds chews and sucks on little Muslim squares.  When they were smaller, they would all have one of those musical light up aquariums that they would watch as they fell asleep. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 13:06:51 pm »
I think a lot depends on age and if they are already sleep trained or not.
Mine now goes to bed with a music CD on (same CD every night for years...well we did change it once and that stuck for a few months before returning to the original) and 3 muslin squares in his bed. He sniffs the muslins and rubs them on his face and holds and rubs the wash label (silky ribbony bit) between his fingers.  But he is 5yo.  It was not the same when he was a baby.

I see on another of your posts that your LO  is about 8 wks old.
I can't say for certain when I started sleep training.  Either day 1 because I always had in mind that I would help him as much as needed but I really wanted to put him down (sounds like I didn't want to hold him, I did, but my character is such that I knew I would fail if I attempted to hold all the way through A, all the way through E and all the way through S, I would have crumbled), I started out with Harvey Karps 5S wind down routine as I had not heard of BW until DS was 4 weeks old.  Then I used a mix of Karps method with Tracy's BW method.  So, maybe I was aiming for sleep training and self soothing from day 1 or maybe it was from wk 4 or maybe it was whilst I was still pregnant as I used to sing one song repeatedly throughout my pregnancy and DS recognised it and calmed instantly on day 1 when I sang it to him.
...somewhere between say 6 - 8wks he was self settling.  A strong wind down routine with cues for sleep and if he needed additional help for some sleeps he got it but on the whole I'd say he was independently sleeping - he refused to sleep in arms.

In those early weeks he did most of his falling to sleep with his eyes open, I stuck strong black and white patterns to the side of this cot to stare at (just simple computer printed wide lines), I could see him do his "7 mile stare" which Tracy describes in her books.  then he'd nod and fall to sleep.  His wind down included swaddling, the key song whilst being held with a muslin square on my shoulder so it was by his face, shushing and slow dancing (or rocking in arms and back rubbing rather than patting) then a key phrase and into his bed.  He would stare, then nod, then sleep.
I stopped swaddling at 10 wks just swaddled for the wind down if he needed it then unswaddle to go into bed, WD always had the muslin square (so did E time and A time it was a constant).  He was too young to leave a muslin square with him it would not have been safe and he would not have had control of it.  If he did need more help I put a firm hand on him and rocked a little whilst he was in bed.  This was also the time he stopped having the black and white images to stare at, he stared at his cot side instead.
I am not totally sure when he began to mantra-cry.  Possibly not in the very early days I don't remember. I do remember later hearing it. so he would kind of hum repeatedly.  When very tired it sounded sad but there were no tears, it was not a real cry and he did not want me with him.
When a bit older I let him fall to sleep with the muslin square near his head then removed after he fell asleep.
Older still and seeing how he could control the muslin I let him keep it. By then (6 months) he could hold it and fling it around, wave it about, rub his face with it, look like he was frantically banging it around but this was part of his self soothing.  By about this age I knew if his mantra went on for more than say 5 mins he needed extra help, I'd pop back in to him put a hand on for a few mins and this helped him relax.  But it is normal for a mantra to go on for the full 20 mins of falling to sleep, just that for mine I knew he wasn't going to manage alone.

Self settling is quite individual I think but can often not look or sound "relaxing" in the adult sense.  The mantra and all the lovey flinging can look totally un-relaxing but many of them do this type of thing and then nod off so it must be relaxing for a baby :)

Offline KiusMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 00:07:45 am »
Hi creations,

Was just reading your post about self-settling to get some new ideas. DS2 used to self-settle for naps, but since last month there has been a lot of AP and I am back to square one with sleep training. Right now it was a huge success after 3 days of struggle and tears(mostly mine ).. that he fell asleep on his own for his morning nap in his crib, listening to my lullaby and staring at his favourite tree outside the window.

I realised I don't have a strong wind down during bedtime, which is possibly causing him to wake up almost every hour once he falls asleep. Also I can't seem to get bedtime quite right as he almost always falls asleep during his last BF for the day... this is not the case for the naps, cause he doesn't feed before going down for the nap. Hopefully I am able to instill a better wind-down and keep him awake before I put him down for the night   ::)

Offline ireneasheard

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:18:44 am »
A bit of white noise, hand to mouth and looking to side of cot is what I've observed my little one doing. At 8 weeks he likes to get hands up if he can as he's starting to get some hand control.
DS 1: Textbook baby, February 2012. Kind and loving big brother to...
DS 2: Textbook (with a little touchy) baby, April 2016. My smallest and dearest bear.