Author Topic: Wind causing overtiredness 7wo  (Read 1029 times)

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Wind causing overtiredness 7wo
« on: May 27, 2016, 06:32:12 am »
Hi team

My 7wo DS has been having a lot of catnaps today and yesterday.  Lots of trapped wind and because we have been spending time getting rid of the wind (on a stupid cycle of awake, feed, wind, feed, wind, feed) - then its like 1-1.5 hrs and that's his whole A time gone.

So he's pretty pepped up by the time he is due to go down, yawning away but still all like "help meeeeeee" because he either hasn't drank enough or he's still all hyped up from the wind.  And at some points I've had him up for longer than 2 hours because he just won't go down after it... and then I have had to ditch EASY for that point in time and just feed to sleep to try to get him to have something.  (Not my way at all, I'm a big EASY follower usually!)

He's my second child, I'm trying to remember when the wind gets better - I'm pretty sure my daughter stopped being windy at around the 12ish week mark.  It was like a switch being flicked off!

We currently do gripe water or homeopathic wind drops, and have Infacol in each of his bottles (exclusively formula fed since birth).  Hubby asked "do we have him on the right formula?"  My thought was he has been fairly OK with it, been on it since birth when his stomach was far less mature, so I'm not sure its that. 

Tried the superman, sitting up, bum pats, over the shoulder, a combo of heaps, he just seems really unsettled on and off during his whole awake time.

So today it was cat-nap central when he usually has 1-2 catnaps and maybe 1-2 longer sleeps 1.5-3 hours.

Anyone got any experience with this or any ideas?  I'm not sure if I'm asking about the wind or the catnapping to be honest, or both.  Help! 

Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Wind causing overtiredness 7wo
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:36:21 am »
My DS was pretty gassy and uncomfortable in the early hours of the morning in his first few weeks, and I agree it did get a lot better by around 10-12 weeks without us changing anything.  That said it wasn't really an all day thing and I'd wonder about something else possibly bothering your little one, especially if he is struggling to feed well too.  Any chance he could have painful reflux? Often that can look a lot like trapped wind.  What are his poops like?  Catnapping in and of itself can be totally normal at this age, we certainly had loads of days like that in the early weeks, but lots and lots of very short naps can also be indicative of discomfort so that's something I'd want to consider I think x

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 06:46:11 am »
Hmmm maybe I'm reading into it too much..

I don't think its reflux but if it keeps going on I'll take him to the doctor after the weekend.  He is fine at night, in fact last night he slept over an 8 hour stretch, so it seems like a weird cycle he's getting into. 

His poos are fine, normal in fact, no constipation.  In fact he poops a good 3 x a day, whereas my girl was more like once every three days!!!  (Must remember to buy more wipes). 

I will definitely keep an eye out for the reflux/constipation idea though.  Thanks for your suggestions!!! 

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 18:48:33 pm »
Keep us posted :)

Offline ireneasheard

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 11:32:02 am »
Doesn't sound like reflux if you're getting 8 hours sleep.

Re wind you could try lying babe face down over your arm? Might help.
DS 1: Textbook baby, February 2012. Kind and loving big brother to...
DS 2: Textbook (with a little touchy) baby, April 2016. My smallest and dearest bear.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 13:49:44 pm »
^^^though often refluxing babies who barely nap will crash out from sheer exhaustion :) not saying it is, just worth considering :)

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 15:09:32 pm »
Thanks!  The problem seems to have resolved itself (for now) and the last 3 days or so have been ok. 

Will see how it goes but maybe it was just a few wobbly days... I always worry we are heading down a road of a bad pattern/habit but it seems to have turned a corner on its own.  Phew!!!! 

Offline ireneasheard

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 00:58:05 am »
That's good to hear. We went through a period early on of waking from gassiness etc so totally understand it's a bit concerning. Hope it continues to improve!
DS 2: Textbook (with a little touchy) baby, April 2016. My smallest and dearest bear.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 06:15:55 am »
Glad to hear it!

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 07:54:56 am »
Ugh I spoke too soon (of course) - 90 minute wind attack this afternoon.

Just having a glass of wine ;)

Offline ireneasheard

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 09:15:09 am »
 :'( that's no good. Hopefully it's a once off. Are you sure it is wind? 90 minutes is quite a long time.  :-[

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 09:31:15 am »
Fairly sure... but if it continues will definitely take him to see the doctor.

The signs are the legs pulling up and tight stomach... relief only when farting/burping.  He burped so hard at the end, he pretty much passed out from tiredness/relief/exhaustion.  He wouldn't take a bottle during, so he had a catnap and then he was super hungry.  That seems very much like wind to me. 

I am getting some recollections that now-Miss-2 was like this around this age.  Funny what you forget about what happened when they were newborns, when you're having fun with them now!

Thanks for your support :D

Offline ireneasheard

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 10:35:48 am »
Poor bub. Hope things resolve soon. Am sure you're on top of it I was just asking. I definitely forgot what that period of time was like until this baby came along. That was 4 years ago!