Author Topic: Getting baby to sleep at naptime  (Read 1062 times)

Offline mum2016

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:27:21 am »
Hi all,

So glad to have found this forum!  So my baby is nearly 5 months old.  He sleeps pretty well at nighttime (goes to bed at 8pm, wakes at 2 for a feed and sleeps til 6).  During the day he needs to nap every 1h45 to 2h and he naps for 45minutes each time.  However at both night time and naptime, the only way to get him to sleep is to put him in the baby carrier and bounce or walk him to sleep.  He is getting heavier now and I know he needs to be able to get to sleep independently.  However I don't know how to do this.  I have tried leaving him in cot drowsy at naptime but he hypes himself up kicking his legs and arms.  He doesnt cry, groans a bit, but winds himself up enough so he can't sleep.  I have left him like that for 20 minutes at a time but then go in and get him to sleep in the carrier as I don't want him to get overtired.  Once he is asleep in the carrier he is easy to transfer to his cot. 

Also on another note, 45 minute naptimes.....I have read this is not great as he is waking after his first sleep cycle....25% of the time I can get him to enter the second sleep cycle by laying my hand on his chest at about 40 minutes, but this doesnt always work.  Not sure if he is waking cos he is ready to get up or cant get himself back to sleep?

Any suggestions/comments would be fab!!  :)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Getting baby to sleep at naptime
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:40:22 am »
Hi and welcome, it sounds to me like your LO may need a tad more A time as often 45 min naps are under tired but also you are correct it is around the time they change sleep cycles so he needs to learn how to transition alone.

This link is handy to keep an eye on awake times Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

I'd start with shush pat to help him learn to fall asleep independently Shush-pat - How to

Can you post what your day looks like

E- eat
A- awake time
S- sleep length
Zoe

Offline mum2016

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 10:56:01 am »
Hi

Thanks for your reply. Here is his day:

6am: wakes up and feeds then falls back asleep
8h30: wakes for the day and feeds then plays
10h15: nap time
11h: wakes up and plays
12h45: nap time
13h30: wakes up, feeds and plays
15h15: nap time
16h00: wakes up and plays
17h30: feeds
17h45: naptime
18h30: wakes up and plays
20h30: feed + bedtime
2am wakes for some food

:)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Getting baby to sleep at naptime
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 14:32:28 pm »
I would try pushing your first A out to 2 hours so nap 8.30am see if it makes a difference. I do 2 hours A on a good nap and 1.50 min on short one and DS2 is 4 months. You may soon need to start the 3-2 nap transition so you will need to lengthen A times to be heading in the right direction for that x
Zoe