Author Topic: How many bottles at 8 and a half months  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Lpat1711

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:33:23 am »
Hi everyone,

I moved my little girl onto 3 bottles per day at just after 7 months (currently 8 and a half months) on the advice of my health visitor but after looking on this forum I don't think it's right! She normally has 3x 8oz bottles per day but as she regularly wakes at 5.30am and we're currently working on a 7pm bedtime (and a better routine) I don't think this is enough for the length of day. She also has 3 meals per day plus pudding & the odd snack. She's slightly above average on weight according to health visitor but not so much to be concerned about.

Can anyone advise? Thanks x

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: How many bottles at 8 and a half months
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 06:19:22 am »
We usually say it's closer to 9/10 months when baby drops a bottl feed but I don't think you have anything to concern. It depends also on how much milk a baby can take from a bottle to make sure the minimum of milk intake is taken - in your case 3x240=720ml which is above minimum (560-600).

Just for your information we also were on only 3 bottles at 7mo as I followed different advice. Changing from 4 to 3 didn't impact milk intake here. Instead of 4 bottles when at least 2 were halves, we went for 3x full bottles.

The only think you can consider I guess is making sure 240ml isn't too little for her - I mean if she is gulping the whole bottle and seems to want more. If she doesn't want more - it's seems to be totally enough in my opinion.
~Marta

Offline Lpat1711

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 06:48:00 am »
Thanks for your reply, I think I will just leave things as they are then, as she always leaves a small amount so not as if she is still hungry.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 08:11:57 am »
Thanks for your reply, I think I will just leave things as they are then, as she always leaves a small amount so not as if she is still hungry.

I would leave it as it it is now too, but watch the spacing of your milk feeds and solids as she still needs milk to be her main source of nutrition for a few more months yet. Are you giving her dairy foods too?

Laura

Offline Lpat1711

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 09:24:13 am »
That's what I was worried about as if she is up early it seems like ages between bottles so I wondered should I be giving four x 6oz bottles rather than three x 8oz iyswim? Also forgot to say she also gets 1-2oz in porridge in morning and has other dairy such as yoghurt.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 13:17:13 pm »
My DD was an early riser and we went to 3 bottles by 8 months to get more milk in her (refluxer ::)). We had a wake up bottle, a bottle after lunch before the afternoon nap (about 2pm) and then a bedtime bottle. Breakfast was after the wake up bottle and lunch was about 11.30/12.

What you could do is offer a couple of oz of formula in a sippy cup as a snack in the morning rather than another bottle as you would be looking to drop to 3 anyway in a month or so.

Laura

Offline Lpat1711

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 14:33:27 pm »
That's a great idea, never thought of that!