Author Topic: Milk intake for 15 months old  (Read 1592 times)

Offline amycyt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • New to EASY
Milk intake for 15 months old
« on: June 03, 2016, 20:44:51 pm »
My DD is 15 months old.  She has been a light eater from day 1.  She has never taken more than 20 oz of milk per day in her life.   She is having a mix of formula, pedisure and breast milk.  I have not tried giving her cow milk yet.
Since 1 year old, she was having 3 bottles during the day (1st bottle when wakes up, 2nd bottle in mid day, then 3rd bottle at bedtime) 3-4 oz per bottle.  And she was still waking up at night for 1 or 2 feedings.  A few weeks ago, she started sleeping better at night (almost STTN) and only woke up between 4-6am for some milk then went back to sleep. Starting last week, she didn't even want her morning bottle or only drank 1-2 oz.  Then few days ago, she was starting to give up her mid day bottle as well. She still drinks her bedtime bottle around 4-5oz.  She is now drinking less than 8 oz of milk per day.  For solids, she is eating ok though.  She eats what we are eating.  2-3 meals a day plus snack in between.  Should I be concern about her milk instake at all? Is it a normal process for a toddler to wean on her own?  Another problem is she still doesn't drink any liquid from a sippy cup.  I tried several different types of cup, cup with straw, spout-less cup, you name it.  Nothing she likes. She still doesn't know how to suck other than from a bottle.  So it is so hard to get her to be hydrated.  Any suggestions?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 07:30:02 am »
Re milk intake it seems to be totally fine. The minimum per day officially is 12oz /360ml but it can be delivered as cheese, cream or milk in the dish so she probably is taking her toll. If she is eating healthy meals I would be concerned at that age. Milk I a drink at that age not a meal. Is she still wakes at night for it it's not of hunger but rather a habit.

Re drinking - have you tried a normal one or a dooidy? With you help she might be able to drink something. I personally used IKEA frog cup which is a normal cup with a cover. There are three holes on the side where you drink so kid doesn't have to suck. My DS also couldn't understand the idea of non-spill cups;).
~Marta

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Milk intake for 15 months old
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 07:55:08 am »
Hi
My DS also didn't take a lot of milk but gained weight well.

After 1yo milk is considered a drink and the guidance is that bottles are dropped at this age.  Some people do keep 1 or even 2 bottles a bit longer, but at 15 months it is totally fine that your Lo is dropping her bottles.  It's time.  She is older now and her main food source is solids, she will get the variety of nutrients and vitamins she needs from the solid meals rather than from the milk.  It is also helpful for motor development and speech development for her to have solids rather than lots of milk.  Your  little girl is just growing up a bit that's all :)

I'm not 100% clear if she is still having a night feed - if she is I would totally phase that out now. It's better to drop any night feed rather before the day feeds.  If she wakes at night comfort her with your usual method of verbal reassurance or a hand on her, cuddles, etc rather than feeding.

8oz of milk per day, sounds like roughly a cup which is totally fine for her age. This is giving her some fats and calcium.  She might also be taking some yoghurt or cheese or white sauces with her meals, these count as dairy intake too. Even without cheese/yoghurt in her solids meals the milk is likely enough for a LO who has always taken less than 'average' so I do not think you need to be concerned :)  It is also possible to gain fats and calcium from other foods, some LOs cannot or do not take any milk at all so whilst there are guides on how much 'dairy' a toddler needs there are always exceptions and alternatives.
It is also fine to switch to cows milk if there is no allergy - I assume as she takes formula that she has no allergy to milk.

A common E routine for LOs this age is:
1 or 2 milk drinks (could be at WU or snack time or BT for instance)
3 solid meals (eating with the family, a range of grown up food and a healthy balanced diet)
2 snacks (LOs have small tummies, adults might not need snacks but usually children do)

Drinking from a sippy cup is a learned skill.  You can sit her on your knee and gently encourage her by putting her hands on the handles and bringing it up to her mouth. One of the important parts of learning this is for you to only put a small amount of water in the cup, A couple of oz is plenty for learning.  if you give her a full cup it is heavy and very difficult to control, let her learn when it is light, you can always add more water if she drinks it all.
You might also try her with a straw, dip one end into the water, put your finger on the other end to trap a small amount of water in the straw, then with your finger still on one end offer the other end to her mouth (demonstrate by you doing it first and telling her it is fine, nice), when in her mouth release your finger and the little bit of water will go in her mouth.  Make sure she is sat upright so the water does not run to the back of her mouth.  You can demonstrate the sippy cup and the straw by drinking your own drink in this way for a few days - I drank tea from a sippy cup for a few days to show my DS it was a good way to drink.

It may be that she had no interest in water because she was totally hydrated from the milk she has been taking.  I would just keep offering water at meal and snack times and it may increase now that the milk intake has dropped.
If you feel very concerned about her taking water you could offer a bottle of water at the solids meal time but use of bottles should not be encouraged at this age as using a lot can effect tooth development (it's ok if it's a quick drink and only water or milk but it's a problem if a LO is drinking all day from a bottle).  Sometimes LOs do need encouragement to move on from a bottle to a cup, show her, tell her, demonstrate and model the use of a cup.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 07:58:40 am by creations »

Offline amycyt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • New to EASY
Re: Milk intake for 15 months old
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 16:34:02 pm »
Thank you both for your reply.  I thought I should have known better as DD is my 2nd child.  hehe!  I also have a 3 yr old son.  I still allow him to drink his morning and BT milk in a bottle simply because it is fast.  It takes forever for him to finish a cup of milk. With a bottle, it takes only a minute or 2 for him to down 8oz of milk. Another reason was bc during flu season, he was sick all the time, mixing medicine in his milk bottle was the only way I could get him to take the med.   But I know, I should stop giving him bottle now.

Back to my DD, I feel much better knowing I should not stress out about her low milk intake.  Yes, she eats yogurt and cheese everyday.  And I think most likely she is just phasing out bottle not the milk.  Good advice, creations.  The only way I can give her some water is using a straw to drop water into her mouth just like what you suggested.  I guess I should be more patient to practice with her on using a cup.  It is a skill set that she eventually will develop.  Because my DS learned to drink from a straw at 10 months without any training.  He did it so naturally so I didn't have to deal with the struggle like I do with my DD now.  So this is a new challenge for me.

And no more night feed for my DD.