Author Topic: Starting at 7 months. I'm at the end of my tether.....  (Read 2413 times)

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: Starting at 7 months. I'm at the end of my tether.....
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 19:45:48 pm »
^^^ Yes yes yes!

You cannot, should not use PU/PD until you're sure you've got the right routine in place for here and any other causes of sleep difficulties have been ruled out.  It is definitely not recommended for spirited or sensitive babies, and generally a bad idea for refluxers, in both cases because it can be stimulating.  You need to use an adapted version of sh/pat, gentle withdrawal, at the very least a good routine age appropriate + predictable wind-down needs to be tried.  Average A time at 7 mos is anything from 2hr 45-3 hr 15 that's an average, so some babies need less and some more. 

Focus on the fact that you're 'teaching new skills' not 'fixing a problem' ;)

10 Reasons You Cannot Use Pu/Pd
Shush-pat - How to
chronological EASY samples, 7-9 months
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Starting at 7 months. I'm at the end of my tether.....
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 20:48:15 pm »
Hi Lel88, welcome to BW forums :)

You've had great advice from pps, I would really encourage you to see the doc about her meds dosage as soon as possible.  Two things come to mind and the meds is a big one.  When mine out grew his ranitidine dose all those symptoms returned, the waking in the night, screaming, back arching etc etc, I really feel for you, it is utterly awful to keep going through it day after day night after night.  In my case I had to go back to the doc a few times about the dose as the doc had worked it out incorrectly and my DS was not getting anywhere near the right dose.  The right dose is really going to help a lot, the ladies here have helped me no end with that.
You said in your first post do you need to ride it out, well I remember one night in particular with my DS where absolutely nothing could calm him, I held him and held him whilst he screamed and eventually he kind of passed out into sleep in my arms.  That night (and it wasn't the only time) there was no other option, all I had was my love and comfort to give, I imagine you are in a similar position during this tricky time too. In a way you kind of do need to ride it out for a while until the meds help your LO and the discomfort she is in which is why I would not delay on speaking with your doc.

The other thing that came to my mind is that your A times look really short.  Whilst I suspect meds are going to help a great deal there is also a chance of baby kicking, screaming and back arching when she does not want to go for a sleep and sees you are taking her for one.
At this age A time is more like 3hrs.  It looks from your times you may be giving closer to 2hrs A time.
I would suggest that for the next 2 days you do not attempt to put her down for nap until 2hr 30 (that includes wind down time so if you usually wind down for 5 or 20 mins allow for that aiming for her to be asleep at 2hr 30).
Then days 3 and 4 I suggest moving to 2hr 45, again allow for the wind down time.
From day 5 I would give 3hr A time. it is possible that she could need longer than this but it's a good place to aim for for the time being.

I see that your DD was self settling at around 3-4 months old, there is a chance that once she has the reflux under control plus an age appropriate A time she may need very very little in the way of "sleep training". I would not be thinking of PUPD but rather some gentle encouragement to return to independence (she may appear to have very many props but these could all be linked to reflux discomfort and under tiredness, any habits caused by these over time could be gently removed over a shortish time frame if she is pain free and you are focused).

If I read your information correctly you co sleep in her room but would be able to leave her in there to sleep safely without you there, is that right?  I really do think that once you have her meds dose upped and extend her A time you could start to move out of the room quite soon (so if it is not currently safe to do so I advise you and your DH to make plans for a cot in her room as a priority).  It would do you a lot of good to get some better sleep, everyone in their own beds.  Don't get me wrong, I am all for comforting a baby who is struggling, or in pain, or needs you for whatever the reason I really am...but good quality sleep is vital for you so you can function and have the energy to see to your own and your baby's needs.