Author Topic: Baby going down easy for one parent but not the other!  (Read 1469 times)

Offline andyry

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Baby going down easy for one parent but not the other!
« on: June 04, 2016, 18:43:00 pm »
Looking for some advice. We have being doing PUPD with our 4 month old for the last 10 days. For the first 2 days my husband and I were taking turns putting the baby down for naps. I continued the process when he went back to work for an additional 3 days. We made great progress and by day 5 when our little one woke-up after 45 min of napping I could get him back to sleep with only a bit of shush/pat (no PUPD required) and he would sleep for another 45min-1h. We then had a wedding and it was difficult to maintain the routine for a few days. Since then, my husband has been off work so we starting switching off again. The naps for my husband seem to be getting worse and worse. Every time he puts the baby down he sleeps for only about 30 min and then my husband has been doing PUPD for an hour without getting him back to sleep. It's exhausting! I am not having the same difficulty. When I watch him on the monitor he seems to be doing exactly what I do but the baby just isn't responding in the same way. Has anyone else had this experience? Any tips or advice? My husband is an extremely loving and patient father and I can tell it is really shaking his confidence that he hasn't had any success with these recent naps! 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby going down easy for one parent but not the other!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 18:59:31 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

I'm sorry to hear your DH is losing confidence, I really want to cheer him on and say don't give up and don't take it personally.
Quite often one parent (usually mum but not always) ends up doing all the put downs for sleep and I really don't think it needs to be that way if both parents keep going, the method may end up slightly different for each and that's ok but LO will learn that Daddy is just as comforting, supportive and loving as Mummy but it may take some perseverance to get there.

There may be a simple answer to this.  Are you doing the same naps each for each day?  for instance do you always do nap 1 and Daddy always does nap 2?  If so it could be that you need to look at the EASY times to see if Daddy's put down is perhaps not quite at the best time for LO.  Perhaps you can post your EASY times for us to look at.  Perhaps you can also try a switch around on the naps you take and see what happens when Daddy takes the nap you usually do.

Offline andyry

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 21:58:29 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply!

Here are our most recent times. We have tried switching up naps so my husband could try the "easier" naps but it hasn't made any difference.

Up at 645am
E 7-715am
P 715-815
S 815-9 followed by 60 min of sush/pat and PUPD (almost asleep on a number of occasions and then jolts awake) - HUSBAND'S nap

E 10-1020
P 1020 - 1130
S 1130 - 1215 followed by 20 min of shush/pat then slept an additional 50 min - my nap

E 120-140pm
P 140-305
S 315 - 4 followed by 35 min shush/pa and PUPD - HUSBAND'S nap

E 435 - 450
P 450 - 630 including bath
E 630 - 650
S 650 down for the night (goes down easily)

Next Day:

Up at 705
E 705 - 715
P 715 - 830
S 850 - 930 (required 20 min of shush/pat and PUPD to get to sleep despite appearing tired then slept 40 min then did addition 20 min of sp and PUPD) HUSBAND'S nap

E 950-1010
P 1010-1105
S 1120 - 12 followed by 50 min of SP and PUPD - HUSBAND'S nap

E 1-115
P 115 - 230
S 230 - 305 followed by mostly SP and a little PUPD for 20 min then slept for an additional 55min - my nap

E 430 - 445
P 445 - 545
S 545 -640 cat nap - my nap

P 640 - 730 incl bath
E 730 - 750
S 750 down for the night easily (me)

Today my husband has been doing all the naps to see if it would help to have him repeatedly/back to back. So far even worse! PUPD for an hour following 30 min of sleep for both naps so far today. He has tried shushing more/less, doing PUPD more/less. LO seems inconsolable at times. Any thoughts?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 08:16:43 am »
There is a possibility that for both of you the nap is coming a little too early.  I see that even for you there is a wake up at the end of the sleep cycle and you nee to shush/pat Lo back to sleep.  This sometimes happens when LO is unable to transition from one cycle to another and can be linked to ability to self sooth - if this is the case with your LO you can (both) focus on having stopped shush/patting just before LO falls to sleep at the beginning of the nap. You do your regular soothing until LO is calm then reduce the patting until you either have a still firm hand on LO (and when this is successful you reduce the weight of the hand) or until you are totally hands off - the end goal being to be out of the room before LO nods off.  When LO can self settle to sleep there is a better chance of self settling mid nap at the sleep cycle transition.
Another reason LO might not manage to transition at the end of one cycle into another is when he is not tired enough.  A times for guidance at this age are 1hr 45 to 2hrs but it is only guidance and some LOs do better with a longer A time (or longer for the first A time after a good night sleep then a little shorter after).  You might both try that first nap at 2hrs rather than any earlier.

Another thing you can both try is to use W2S for the sleep transition.  This is where you go into the room before LO wakes up mid nap and begin shush/pat so that when LO comes up into light sleep and wakes you are already soothing him back to sleep. This can be a quicker way to sooth as LO stays sleepy, it is also a useful method to teach LO to sleep longer as part of the sleep training process.
Here's a link with some info - look at naps option 1
How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)

It's important to remember that sleep training is a process which does take time and effort - it seems you are all doing very well so try to keep that in mind when it becomes hard. You are doing a wonderful thing for your LO teaching him that he is safe and cared for and giving him the confidence to learn to sleep alone.

At 4 months lots of LOs have a sleep regression - it seems a common time for short napping.  Often this is put down to the normal developmental process but it can sometimes be caused by (or added to) by A times not being long enough.  At 4 months Tracy suggested moving to a 4hr EASY routine. This means you gradually stretch out LOs E times to 4hrs apart (it can be 3hr 15, then 3hr 30, then 3hr 45 as you move towards 4hrs) rather than 3hrs.  There are some LOs who cannot manage the 4hr E until they are closer to 6 months old but this is the usual way forward at this age. Here's a link:
Time to Transition - 3hr, 3.5hr or 4hr EASY

So those things above are for both you and Daddy to have a think about in terms of LOs sleep training and routine.

With regards to Daddy finding it more difficult than you.  I really think perseverance is the key.  There is a chance that you have already been through a phase where LO has screamed in your face and refused to sleep, and you remained with him comforting him and showed him that you will always be there for him no matter what, eventually LO decided to go to sleep.  The same will happen with Daddy so long as Daddy sticks it out.  There can be a temptation to hand over to the parent who has 'success' but take a minute to consider what came before that success - hard work, crying baby, lots of time spent soothing, picking up, patting and being ultra patient etc etc.  My feeling on this is that when there is only one parent doing the sleep training or soothing that parent has no option they have to see it through regardless, they have no one to pass baby to.  When there are two parents taking shifts it may well be that both parents need to go through that crunch point where baby feels supported no matter what.
So long as Daddy continues this process of sleep training he and your DS will come through it together. Like I said before Daddy may do things a little differently (each parent does not have to try to be the other) and that is absolutely ok, Daddy needs to find *his* way to support his son.  it will come. It will.  IMO what is important here is that Daddy keeps his confidence and remembers that he is just as important to LO as Mummy, Daddy needs to know that every parent finds it hard and finds their way through, that just because Mummy had 'success' first with the naps does not mean Mummy is better or that Daddy is doing something wrong, it only means Mummy has put in some serious time and effort on this whilst Daddy was working.

LO seems inconsolable at times. Any thoughts?
Have you also had some times with LO when he seemed inconsolable?  I know I did with my DS when he was a baby.  And this is really what I mean by seeing it through, being calm and caring and making sure LO knows Daddy is there for him.
It is a decision you and Daddy make together really - for Daddy to keep going forward with this or to hand over.  I'd suggest keeping going :)

another thing you can do is for you to speak to LO about how Daddy cares for him and that LO is safe and secure to go to sleep with Daddy. I know your baby is young but they listen, what you say and how you say it matters in my opinion.

Another thing you might both try is to introduce a lovey so that there is a continuity in an item of soothing.  I used a muslin cloth at every feed, every nap, every cuddle and my DS attached to it as a comfort item.  You could begin by wearing the item/cloth inside your clothes over night so that it has Mummy's scent and then at nap time Daddy can put the cloth over his shoulder to begin the wind down and shush/pat.  It can go into the cot with LO for comfort so long as once LO nods off you remove it (he is too young to add items to the cot unless supervised).
I am a big believer in lovies, they are amazing source of comfort to babies and children - my 5yo had his muslin squares since day 1, he now takes a small muslin square in his trouser pocket to school, it gives him so much comfort when he is away from Mummy and stepping out into the world as an individual.

There's lots to think about and try there - I hope something works for you.  Let us know how you go or if you have any more questions :)