Author Topic: Weaning off breast feeding  (Read 1342 times)

Offline kearney2016

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 06, 2016, 08:05:46 am »
Hello,

My daughter is five weeks old this week and I am breast feeding her. However, I would like to change her over to formula and wanted some advice on how I should do it as I have been told that you should not just stop it but do so over a week. I have been giving her a night feed of formula for the past two weeks so she is used to a bottle and formula.

Thanks

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Weaning off breast feeding
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 09:40:26 am »
Hi and welcome to BW.

Check out our weaning FAQ which outlines the various approaches you may wish to take.Weaning

I don't know your reasons for weaning now but unless you have a pressing need to stop BFing (like a medical issue or you need to take unsuitable meds etc) then I agree it is better to do it gradually. Formula can be very constipating especially for the immature digestive  system of a 5wo so I'd go as slowly as you are willing to give her body a chance to get used to the change.

It sounds like you've already made the decision to stop BFing but if you change your mind or are stopping due to lack of support or anything we could help you with then please do let us know 😀

Feel free to ask anymore questions you have after reading the weaning FAQ linked above.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011