Author Topic: In a complete mess with sleep for 15 week old  (Read 777 times)

Offline AbiFaz

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
In a complete mess with sleep for 15 week old
« on: June 09, 2016, 19:34:37 pm »
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me, as we've got into a real mess with my 15 week olds sleep and I am so sleep deprived and tired I'm now really struggling. He was born with a tongue tie, which wasn't released until he was 8 weeks old. He had terrible wind as a result. Despite the release, he's still a bit windy as his latch isn't all that great ( he's bottle fed now), but it is much improved. I also have a 3 year old, so we learnt to cope by using a sling during the day for all his naps. This is no longer working though, as he's very sensitive to the noise my daughter makes and wakes at the slightest thing.

He has a total of about 4 naps a day at the moment as he's usually awake for the day and difficult to resettle anywhere from 5am to 6.30am. His naps can vary from 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how quiet it is and if I keep moving or not.

He rarely takes more than 5oz in a feed, so at the moment he feeds 3 hourly. At times he stretches to 3.5 hours but rarely.

I've half tried recently to get him to settle in his cot but I'm not sure what the best method of settling is for his age. I tried a combination of pick up/put down with a bit of shush pat. It worked for a few naps but he always wakes around 30minutes to 45 minutes after he falls asleep. He doesn't wake crying, he just appears wide awake and smiles at me when I go to him. I have no idea how to try and resettle him when he's like this. He is obviously still tired though.

In a week, I am planning to be 100% consistent with naps in the cot, as my husband is off work for a week, so between us, we can really give it a go. I need some help though as I have loads of questions. Please could someone help me?

Thanks

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: In a complete mess with sleep for 15 week old
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 19:34:11 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW forums

Sorry to see you didn't get a reply before now - we certainly can help you :)
There are lots of parents here happy to share their experience and tips and to hold your hand through sleep training.

With the feeds, it's fine if you continue on 3hr or 3.5hrly feeds, some LOs don't make it to 4hrs until closer to 6 months, my own was like that and didn't move to 4hrly E until solids were coming between milk feeds.  If your LO sleeps through a 3hr E just feed on waking which I think you are probably doing anyway.  If a nap is coming up and you see that a feed is also coming up do the feed a bit earlier to make sure Lo is not too hungry for sleep, just leave a little A time between E and S to avoid a feed to sleep prop.  Hope this helps.

Shush/pat is the method to use for this age.  You will pick up and hold with the shush/pat until LO is totally calm, nodding the eyes and then put down in the cot and continue to shush/pat all the way to sleep and beyond (20 mins into sleep LO reaches deep sleep).  During the training you will reduce the amount of shush/pat so that eventually LO gets some in arms, goes into the cot awake (but very drowsy) you do a little shush/pat in the cot and then leave the room before he is asleep.  This is the goal.
At any point, if/when he becomes upset you will increase the shush/pat again so he knows you are there, if he is crying you pick up and totally calm him in arms again, once he is nodding you put him back in the cot and continue shush/pat.

When he is able to fall to sleep independently he will likely find it easier to transition from one sleep cycle to the other independently but you can also help teach him this too using W2S (wake to sleep, I'll give you a link when you need it if you are not familiar with it).  This can help him learn to take a longer nap and to be confident in being alone to transition from one cycle to another.

If he totally wakes up before the end of nap time you can either shush/pat in the cot to see if he will go back to sleep or you can pick up and use shush/pat in arms to help him relax, again putting down when he is drowsy and nodding - if necessary you can continue all the way to sleep and then put down and continue shush/pat, it is not the end goal but it is a step int eh right direction to get a longer nap in the cot.

It may be that he needs an A time increase to help him be tired enough to fall to sleep too.

The first few days of sleep training Tracy suggests observing and recording the times of E, A and S.  This is really helpful to us to see any pattern emerging or to see what sort of A time and S time your LO is currently doing.  From there we can likely advice on a suitable way forward and if any time may need a bit of a change.
Could you start recording your EAS times please?  When you post the times it is helpful to us if you do so in this format:
WU 7.00 (Wake Up)
E 7.00
A 2hr
S 9.00 - 9.45 (45 mins, tried to resettle for 30 mins but unsuccessful)
E 10
A 2hr
S 11.45 - 12.30 (45 mins)
E 1.00
and so on... please show the whole day
BT (bed time)
NW night wake this is where LO wakes and needs help but is not hunger
NF night feeds

Add short notes about anything important such as trying to resettle or the mood LO was in.
Try to be accurate with the times, record the actual time of sleep and when he wakes from his nap also if he goes back to sleep what time and until when.  This information helps us quite a lot.
Do not worry if the routine doesn't look exactly like EASEAS it is okay for it to be EASAEAS if naps are short and feeds are every 3hrs.

Please also feel free to ask any questions you have :)

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: In a complete mess with sleep for 15 week old
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 21:55:51 pm »
Hello! Many hugs! It's hard most definitely and your not alone! Many moms are always here to help! ;)

My LO is 16 weeks and is about the same too. I hope you can find peace in knowing this is all very normal and does pass eventually! A lot of the short naps is developmental as well.

Creations has great advice so I def would stick to trying some of those methods, record it, and keep us posted!

Xo! :)
Fabi