Author Topic: 2-1 transition help with 1 year old  (Read 31029 times)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
Re: 2-1 transition help with 1 year old
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2016, 17:15:56 pm »
Today I did a 4:50 A (almost 5A) after a shortened night (8:30-7 am) and he only did an hour? Does that mean he's OT from two one-nap days in a row?

Yesterday I'm pretty sure he did 5-5.5A before his first nap. I was in and out and he may have been awake earlier than 8.

NW were about every 3.5 hours so about 2 before up for the day at 7. No amount of APOP changed that lol

So now I'm wondering is he getting OT? Or is this just the process of settling into one nap?

I have to do a CN bc he won't make it to a 8 pm bedtime.
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2016, 07:45:38 am »
Yes a two nap day seems sensible to get you to normal bedtime xx

I'd say there is a lot going on with sickness and teeth and IS and likely all affecting nap length. It does also take a while to settle in general.

Lets see how today goes x

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2016, 12:24:45 pm »
Hi shiv!

Hope all is well on your end. Well yesterday and last night were not so good. We did 2 nap day and it backfired. I wasn't home so my DH put him down for naps and bedtime.

We did:

WU 7 am
S 11:50-12:50 pm
S 4:57-5:38 pm (fought CN; kept waking up at first)
BT 9:20 pm (fought bedtime)

Lots of stirrings and about 3 NW. I know the long CN wasn't good bc it pushed out the day so much. I'm assuming OT but he woke up at 7:30 today so only had about 9.25 hours of sleep ugh.

What would you do if you were me in this situation? Part of me wants to just push for one nap today but I'm scared that it will cause more OT. If I try for 2 naps with a 5 first A then I'll get a 13-14 hr day.

Should I shorten the first A and give him a two nap day or press on and hope for a longer nap. Should I shorten the last A if I only get an hour?

Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2016, 13:49:54 pm »
Given such a short night Id shorten the first A time and do a 2 nap day? Maybe get over the OT?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2016, 13:56:30 pm »
Lol I would love to get over the OT. He's definitely touchy in mood this morning.
What would be a good A time? I used to have a good grasp of this but lately second guessing everything. Would 4.5 be ok?

I ended up doing this:

WU 7:30 am
S 12-1:15 (fought sleep)
S 5:25-5:50 pm (fought sleep very hard
BT 9:20 pm (fought sleep for 30 plus minutes)

With 2 nap days  noticing that he totals around 11 hrs total sleep. On one he's around 13-13.5 hrs total. Not sure how 2 nap days help keep OT at bay.

Also a few nights this week he has had hour long NW where he's tossing and turning. No crying just lots of movement, sitting up, trying to get into a position. Usually it's 3-4 in the am. That's usually when we either give him a dose or re-dose with Motrin or Tylenol. I suspect it's the teething molars as the ped said she could see one about to come through. Also it's happened mostly on 2 nap days it has happened on 1 nap day as well. He's a slow teether so it could take awhile to actually cut. Do molars or teething in general cause toes type of NW?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:14:19 am by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2016, 10:21:50 am »
Yeah he gave you an UT nap for sure so shortening that first A time on 2 nap days isn't going to work.

I think you'd be best setting naps and bedtime. So if you decide wake up is 8 do 8am wake up, 1pm nap, 8pm bedtime. Just stick to it for a week and see does the consistency help even things out. Any thoughts?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2016, 12:17:42 pm »
I think I might have to. Last night was horrendous. We had a long NW of 1.5  :o yet he still woke up at 8 totaling at 9.5 total night sleep! He seems fine burin getting concerned ashis night sleep seems to be deteriorating and I'm exhausted. That's why I'm wondering about teeth bc I guess I'm just shocked that this is the 4thor 5th time this week.

So setting nap and bedtime for a week means just one nap correct. What happens if he wakes really early or short naps his only nap?

At this point I'm willing to try anything.
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2016, 15:11:57 pm »
Yes one nap. If he wakes really early you resettle as best you can. If he short naps and you can't resettle then you keep things low key and avoid car or buggy late on as he may nap and make it to bedtime or as close to bedtime as you can.

The issue with what you're doing at the minute is the day is slightly too short on one nap but he's not tacking on to his night sleep meaning he's waking earlier and earlier. One nap then means earlier bedtime then another earlier wake up leading to needing 2 naps which is no longer restorative as it makes the night too short and so on. 

I would hope setting it will take the guess work out of it and allow his body clock to set. After 3 weeks of set naps our nap lengthened.

What do you think?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #128 on: July 30, 2016, 18:16:02 pm »
Yea I agree bc I feel like we go in circles bc he doesn't tack on sleep where wake up can be consistent so like you said everything gets earlier and earlier until I need two naps which doesn't work because he pushes for longer A times until he's overtired from too long of a day and UT naps.

He's always been a tough nut to crack but it's now on a different level.

I rather go the set nap route and hope for a more consistent nap length and nights.
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2016, 18:43:35 pm »
Honestly i think it's worth a shot. I really think youve given the alternatives a really good go.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2016, 12:56:33 pm »
Yea I agree! I'll give it a go for a couple of weeks and hopefully it will work out!

Last night he slept 12 hours! He had two brief NW which I nursed (I'm working on night weaning when he's well again), and a couple of stirrings where he just put himself back to sleep. Overall a great night. His nap was only 1:15 but I just stuck with BT (as close as possible); he made it until 10 to 8 pm.

He woke up at 8 am! So it looks promising.
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2016, 13:08:51 pm »
So glad. Yeah don't worry about night weanings while he's ill. He might just need the comfort. I always fed at 6am even when mine were big lumps to get them back to sleep ;)

Thrilled you'd such a good night!!

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2016, 18:36:23 pm »
Me too!!!! Thank you  ;D it's giving me hope for sure!

Lol yea I don't mind feeding when he's not feeling well bc other times he just resettles himself.

So we put him down for his nap at 1 pm (5 hrsA) and he only slept 1:10. Is that common when first setting nap and bedtime? I know you mentioned it took you 3 weeks of setting to see lengthened naps. I'm assuming it's OT naps?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 19:05:10 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2016, 19:41:58 pm »
Yes it's like they are wired to nap the usual length. I was able to extend by going in about 10 mins before they notmally woke to help them extend xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2016, 20:19:58 pm »
Yea I figured it was OT. Wake to sleep rarely worked for this bub so I'm hoping that as his body adjusts to the new routine it will naturally lengthen.
Jennifer xx