Author Topic: Can't figure out this EW  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Can't figure out this EW
« on: June 16, 2016, 12:11:34 pm »
Ladies!

We are getting a whole pile of EWs lately and I can't seem to sort it out.  5:45am on the dot!  The past 2 days I've been able to resettle it, so yay for that!   We were getting them while going through the 3-2 and when we finally got on 2 naps it seemed to subside, but now they are back.  She does a good first A, usually 3.15hr, her naps are generally 1.5hrs in the morning and the afternoon can vary as she usually wakes mid way through that nap so it depends on whether I can resettle it or not.  BT is anywhere from 6:30pm-7:15pm dependent on the day. 

Attempting to remember the last few days lol...

Monday
WU 7
Nap 10:15-11:30
Nap 2:45-4:15
BT 7:15
She ended up having 4 NW, something like 8:30pm, 11pm, 1:30am, 3:30am (fed) and up for the day at 5:45am

Tuesday
WU 5:45
Nap 9-10:30
Nap 1:45-2:15 couldn't resettle
Nap 4:15-5:15 (this is abnormal but there was no way she was going to make it from 2:15-BT)
BT 7
Had 3 NW, 2 in the earlier part of the night and 1 at 3/4ish for a feed

Wednesday
WU 5:45am (resettled and woke again at 7:15am)
Nap 10:15-11:45
Nap 2:55-3:25 couldn't resettle
BT 6:45
NW 1am (fed)

Today
WU 5:45am (resettled and woke at 7am)

Any ideas? I know generally not having enough A time in the morning or too much day sleep is usually the culprit but I don't think that's the case here  ???
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 13:35:04 pm by Lindsay27 »

Offline Jodes112

• Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 18:56:46 pm »
Hi!

Usually for us, EW generally meant DD needed more A time, or less sleep, like you have stated.

The only other time she would wake early is if she was uncomfortable. Ie, poorly - teething - blocked nose. Any of these at the moment?

The Easy looks fine, the only think i can think of tweaking though is to have a cut off time for that afternoon nap - i would always wake her up at 4pm at the latest. It may then shorten that pm nap slightly which could be what she needs.

Sorry, only advice i have! The routine is forever changing from 0-12 months!
Jody
 xx

Offline Lindsay27

Re: Can't figure out this EW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 23:44:54 pm »
Ya I think that's what's tripping me up, because I think a 3.15hr A time is decent/normal for being just 6 months and she takes a good nap and is plenty tired by that point, and she only sleeping max 2.5hrs per day...it just doesn't seem to add up ya know?

Interestingly, this morning she seemed super tired so I put her down after 3hrs and she did a 2hr morning nap, and then an hour this afternoon.  Seems OT maybe and playing catch up?

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 04:59:29 am »
Looks like she might need more A time somewhere to get the longer night...either start or end of the day.  I see she did a resettle after she had a really long A time to first nap (4hrs) & 3.5 hrs to BT..probably too long that day so gave you the catch up naps yesterday...but maybe you could try either pushing first A only so longer to first nap...or last A only so longer from last nap to BT?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 10:02:41 am »
Ughhhh why!?!? Lol!!

Yesterday we did a 3.15hr first A, the next ones were 3.5hrs each.  Total daytime sleep was 2.5hrs...and got a 5:30am EW.  We are also getting 2 NW at 12/12:30am and 4/4:30am every day.  I mean, is that really too much day sleep for a 6 month old, or is that really not enough A time!?

Offline FPT23

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 13:29:05 pm »
Hi! Still with the EWs :( hugs!

What's her mood at that time?

For the multiple NWs, have you considered teething meds?
Fabi

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 19:38:27 pm »
I am honestly past the point of frustration.  2+ NWs and up at 5:30am every day, I'm losing my mind.  I keep trying to push her first A but we just end up with 30min naps.  Today I scaled back to 3hrs and still a 30min nap (though I was able to resettle). 

This was yesterday, definitely an off day because my sister was babysitting in the morning until I got home from DS school orientation in the early afternoon.

WU 5:30am
Nap 8:15-9:15
Nap 11:45-1
Nap 4:15-4:45
BT 7

I know the 3rd nap was really late, but no way she would have made it to BT after being awake since 1pm.

Today

WU 5:30
Nap 8:30-9 resettled and slept until 10:30
Nap 2-2:30

And now we have to do a really long A to BT coming off a 30min nap, which means she's going to be silly OT, which also means she's going to be up all night and likely wake at 5:30am tomorrow.

It's just a never ending cycle.  I'm going insane.

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 20:55:48 pm »
Can you APOP a 3rd nap today, earlier than the 3hrs A time e.g. Just fit one in before 5? And maybe cap the 3rd CN at 15mins? I found that a CN longer than that at this point gave us EW too. 

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline FPT23

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 01:53:48 am »
Hugs!!! :(

It's frustration for sure!

It's not teething you said?

Have you tried feeding at these NWs? There is another GS at 6mths. Maybe give it a try and see if she takes? Then you can adjust in her day?

I agree with the CNs causing EWs! Having an extra nap at that age gave me EWs with DS1! I remember them very well. Matter a fact, with most nao transitions I got it :(

How about coming to the conclusion that she probably doesn't do 12 hr nights? Some don't?

Many hugs! Hope these suggestions help! Also remember adjusting to a new A time takes a few days which can mean a few short naps before they get long? Maybe? Maybe push her every 5 mins not 15?

Xoxo!
Fabi

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 10:38:20 am »
I always feed her at NWs however the last 2 nights I haven't and last night she actually STTN from 6pm-5:30am.  The thing is I just need to shift her day somehow but I don't know how to do it if increasing her first A just gives me a 30min nap. 

Offline FPT23

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 14:04:58 pm »
Have you tried increasing by 5 mins instead every few days? Or how are you going about shifting the day?

That's good she slept so long! :D maybe it was discomfort causing the last few NWs? Do you medicate for teeth?

Hugs :)
Fabi

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 14:22:46 pm »
Since she had such a long night I pushed her first A to 3.5hrs this morning and got a 1.20hr nap.  So looks like next nap will be around 1:30pm...gah, it's just all too early! Hopefully she can do 1.5 hrs from 1:30-3 and then I can aim for a 6:30 BT.  It just feels like the early bedtimes are perpetuating the EWs, but I can't make it any later than that. 

I'm not medicating for teeth because honestly they don't seem to be bothering her.  She doesn't have any and there are no real signs that any are on the way.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 15:42:25 pm »
Okay ladies, this EW is wreaking havoc, it's just getting silly now and she's up for the day at 5am, and then she's taking a mammoth nap in this morning to catch up.  So...few things I need to sort out...what do you think the max amount of day sleep should be?  As of late she's doing a 2hr morning nap and then I'm capping her PM nap to around 30 minutes, but then I wonder if this makes her OT by BT having a short nap after a long A.

I am also trying to push her first A, did 3.5hrs this morning, but it just doesn't seem to be helping the EW.  And she was a complete mess by that point. 

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 19:06:37 pm »
We usually have a max of about 2hr 45 day sleep. Sometimes 2.5.

Could you try a shorter first nap and then a long afternoon one?
Lauren

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 20:10:31 pm »
Yeah short am/long pm works better for us, DD needs a long A time before bed, any nap longer than 15mins after 3pm affects her nights and Wu time.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 11:41:03 am »
Ah don't say that! Lol! We get such a good morning nap I'd be terrified to change it!  I am wondering though if that EW was OT, the last few days she's been doing a 2hr morning nap (and I cap it!) after about a 3.15hr A and then a 45min nap in the afternoon, and 3hr A to bed.  Yesterday we had a 6:10am WU and today 6:25am.  It's so odd, her A times have gone completely backwards.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 20:38:46 pm »
How do you ladies arrange your short AM/long PM? I tried it today and it didn't go so well.  We did:

9-9:45 capped
12:45-1:15 OT nap I'm assuming, she was wrecked and I couldn't resettle her
3:45-4:30 capped

We ended up needing 3 naps because what was supposed to be her long fternoon nap turned into an OT nap, and I felt so horrid waking her at 4:30, but it was already way too late in the day.  Even if she did a long afternoon nap from 12:45-2:45 say, that's an awfully long time until BT.

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 21:24:05 pm »
we only do short am on the days I drop dd1 off so looks like this usually

Wu 5.45
Nap 9-10 in the car (sometimes sleeps for 1.15 if I'm driving long enough)
1.30-3
BT 6.30

Maybe capping at 45 mins was a little too short. What about trying an hour and then 1.5 in the afternoon?
Lauren

Offline Jodes112

• Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 13:04:39 pm »
We had to trial and error on the short am long pm. I found that with a short am nap i needed to reduce the A time to the PM nap, by about 30/45 mins. That we we then got a good PM nap.
Jody
 xx

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 13:39:31 pm »
I kind of just didn't try it again lol.  She does such a glorious morning nap I just don't feel like messing with it.  Actually on Monday she only did 30mins in the morning and I couldn't resettle so she did a longer PM nap (1.5hrs I think) and that worked out ok.  Lately her WUs have been about 6/6:15 and I can live with that.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2016, 10:05:13 am »
Back to 5:45...this morning 5:30.  Gah! This has been going on for months, it is driving me batty.

Yesterday was:

WU 5:45
Nap 9:15-10:45
Nap 1:55-3pm
BT 6:45

Her second A was kinda short but she was honestly miserable, I gave meds in case it was teeth but it didn't do much.  Her A to bed was kinda long, wasn't really international, I had to run out and buy a last minute birthday gift so dinner was late etc etc...

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 11:45:51 am »
Just an update, she woke at 5:30am and since she wasn't crying (she was just babbling and rolling around) I just left her to it and she fell asleep at 6am and woke at 7:20.  When I went in to get her she's pooped so I think that's what woke her at 5:30.  (I can't believe she fell back asleep with a poop!  Gross lol)