Author Topic: Help - 9mo squirmy, pinching, biting at the breast  (Read 1516 times)

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
Help - 9mo squirmy, pinching, biting at the breast
« on: June 16, 2016, 18:55:01 pm »
My 9mo has always been a squirmy nurser but it's getting ridiculous. He arches his back, kicks, twists, pinches, and shoves against the breast (when latched on, so that he's yanking on the nipple) while nursing. Right now my right boob is out of commission because he damaged it so bad it's basically an open wound at this point (I'm pumping instead). He's EBF and won't take a bottle so he's at the boob most of the time.

As he gets older and is more distractable it's gotten even worse - he keeps ripping off the boob to turn and see what's going on, turning back for a couple swallows, then off again.

His diaper output is good and he's gaining well, so I'm not worried about my supply - yet. He's not mad at the boob, he's just active, and it hurts! I want to keep nursing but my nipples are constantly bruised, blistered, or bleeding  :-\

What do I do? I thought the sore nipples would have ended long before now!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Help - 9mo squirmy, pinching, biting at the breast
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 00:45:07 am »
Have you tried feeding in a dark room right at wake up to minimize distractions? Or a nursing necklace for him to fiddle with?
Heidi

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 17:15:50 pm »
Yep. He doesn't have much interest in the necklace (or it just provides more of a distraction) and my 4yo comes barging into the room, or the dog barks, or any other little noise causes him to pull off.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 16:33:30 pm »
Ah yes those siblings and pets can be super distracting? How often is he feeding during the day?
Heidi