Author Topic: When should infants start to nap in their cribs  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
When should infants start to nap in their cribs
« on: June 21, 2016, 21:44:51 pm »
Hi all, my dd almost 8 weeks sleeps in a rock n play next to my bed. We are out of the house a lot so she often naps in the stroller, car etc. When we're here she's been sleep on her play mat or in her swing.  I attempted to have her sleep in the rock n play in the bed today but she had none of it. I ended up rocking her to sleep then putting her in her swing.  We have no easy to speak of right now because she falls asleep any time we leave the house to walk the dogs, take DS to school, or when I feed her LOL.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: When should infants start to nap in their cribs
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 21:55:06 pm »
Hi there congrats on your new lo.

DS2 has only real started to nap in crib in last 3-4 weeks and he's 20 weeks now. I think before then he was just too jolty and didn't like to be swaddled x
Zoe

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 06:53:09 am »
For both of mine the 10-12 week mark was when we started having some success x

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 07:33:35 am »
We started from day zero, during day in a crib, during nights in a bassinet next to my bed.
~Marta

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 14:07:40 pm »
I tried everything to get DS to nap in the crib from about 3wks onwards but had no success until he was 4mo.

DD napped in the sling until 8wks when she got too heavy to carry around for so much of the time. I worked on doing 1st and 3rd nap in the crib as they were usually at times we were at home with DS anyway (around breakfast time and just after lunch) but still did 2nd nap & CN in sling so we could get out the house. Her cot naps were short until about 3mo though. I think I started doing all her naps in the cot around 3-4mo.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 14:10:32 pm by Scottishmummy »
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 17:18:15 pm »
I guess a question is do I have too? Currently she's on her playmat on the floor and has been for an hour. She fell asleep there on her own with a pacifier? Will this mess with an EASY if she just falls asleep where ever she is if she's tired? It's just odd, as my DS never every slept anywhere but his crib. He couldn't, he was born with FOMO (fear of missing out) so if he ws going to nap it had to be in the quiet dark room and crib. So this is a whole new ball game for me.

**Siobhan**

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 18:31:03 pm »
Oh wow! I dream of having a baby who just falls asleep wherever and whenever! Both of mine have been like your DS & needed the full WD, dark room, white noise etc as DS was too easily OS and DD is just too nosey!

Of course whether you encourage the cot nap or not is completely up to you but I guess that the falling asleep so easily won't last long term & I think it helps to introduce a nap routine and the sleep associations with it earlier rather than later, even if it is just for the naps that usually happen in the house.

If she falls asleep so easily herself then working out her A time should be pretty easy! Maybe observe her for a few days and see what times she's falling asleep then try again for a cot nap when you see some patterns?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 18:32:39 pm by Scottishmummy »
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 18:33:50 pm »
Thanks will so. :)

**Siobhan**

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 19:47:10 pm »
Hon that was my dream when DS was a baby:))) sleeps wherever she can! Woooow! Seems like an angel baby. You may have some problems someday but with this personality you shouldn't have much problems with any changes.
~Marta

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 20:40:13 pm »
Oh my word I am sooooo jealous lol she sounds a dream   :-*
Zoe

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 20:45:27 pm »
I am sooo happy I have this type of baby and certainly count my blessings. for the last 10 months I had nightmares of having another baby like DS and wasn't sure I'd survive. I'm hoping this is just good karma coming back, although i am waiting for something to happen LOL. I'm sure it'll hit me when she's a teenager. :)....or at the 4month sleep regression. ;)

**Siobhan**

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 21:13:57 pm »
As wonderful it is to have a baby who will currently sleep "anywhere" (I remember that, I used to be able to put DS down on a blanket on our roof terrace and I could sit in the sun with a cuppa and a book while he napped on the floor by me, it was lovely) it may not last and you might not want it to.
- might not last - mine would do that at 8 wks, nap on the roof terrace on a blanket or nap in the family room in his travel cot (like a pack and play) but at 10wks he had ideas of his own and absolutely refused to sleep unless he was in his night bed by my bed.  Just saying it could change.  I knew someone whose LO was still able to self settle on any bit of floor when handed any bit of cloth to cover his face at 6 months, it was amazing, but that LO had dream naps and then was up all night screaming his head off so given the choice I'd keep mine as he was a dream over night. You already said she was not happy if you tried to move the rock n play to bed so she already has ideas of where she will sleep and she might develop some even stronger ideas about it in the coming weeks (like mine did), I would just be cautious that you are truly happy with the places she chooses to sleep because...
- you might not want it to - it's great now at 8 wks she will sleep on the floor or out and about.  At 8 wks you can pretty much guarantee she is not going anywhere from the floor so if you were desperate for the toilet I imagine she is very safe sleeping there, BUT a few months down the line she can start to roll and no longer be that little motionless bundle sleeping peacefully.  if she is on the floor you would need to supervise 100% of the time as you do not know the day she is going to begin to roll and one roll can lead to another and her little arms can reach things you didn't expect her to reach, so she could end up in mischief and you could end up prisoner next to her to observe throughout a 2 hr nap - imagine that? A 2hr nap I know I'm going for a shower or doing the daily essentials (sterilising bottles, throwing laundry in the machine, feeding myself etc), kwim? I'm just saying, it sounds lovely now but IIWM I'd be putting her in something and getting her used to it. Our big play pen had a flat mattress base which DS initially slept on (until his demands to go upstairs to his night bed for naps at 10wks), perhaps something like that is an option for you?  They are safe in there after they learn to roll, crawl, sit, stand...right up until they learn to climb out which mine never did.
I'm not saying don't go out and about, it's great to have a portable baby, I'm just saying looking to the future, these are the things Tracy warned us all about, just make sure you know what is ahead that's all, she might be happy on her play mat but are *you* happy for her to develop a habit of napping on the play mat? xx

WRT your initial question though - mine like I said demanded his night bed at 10wks, it was a hammock by my bed where he slept independently (mostly, bar reflux and the usual culprits of sleep disturbance).  He did not go into his cot until 9.5 months.  We had 3 rough days of transition, started really rough but ended pretty quickly.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 13:26:38 pm »
Thanks creations, that was a very nice wake up call. :) You are totally right, while I've been enjoying it I know in the end routines need to happen to make everyone sleep better. So i'm taking your advice. She was on her playmat while I was playing with DS and I saw her eyelids get heavy so I brought her upstairs, turned on the white noise and put her down drowsy but awake. She has taken herself off to sleep, so that's a good start I think. I'm hoping to get at least 1 good nap for now in the house whether it's the AM nap or the PM nap doesn't matter right now I don't think.

**Siobhan**

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 13:28:27 pm »
I'm hoping to get at least 1 good nap for now in the house whether it's the AM nap or the PM nap doesn't matter right now I don't think.
Perfect plan, Siobhan.  The first few months can be hit and miss so don't beat yourself up but do take opportunities to move gently towards where you want to be.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 17:55:46 pm »
That's great :)
This seems like the perfect time to do it too, whilst she is relatively happy to nod off almost anywhere and relatively independently you have the choice of where that is :)