Author Topic: What's going on in this scenario?  (Read 1433 times)

Offline lyssabz

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 22, 2016, 14:21:33 pm »
My sister in law texted me this morning.  Would love some help or advice to give her.  Her baby is almost 2 months old now.

Hi!  I have a nursing question for you.  I may just be worrying for nothing, but Hyrum usually wakes up at 1:30 to eat.  He normally finishes both sides, but has only been taking one side.  When I offer the other side he gets fussy and won't eat.  He doesn't seem to be bothered by it because last night he spent 30 minutes playing happily in his crib before falling asleep by himself.  Because I pump I know one side only gives between 2-3 ounces, and he normally eats 4-5 ounces at a normal feeding during the day with a bottle.  I  With this happening I am getting really engorged which is a problem when he tries to eat in the morning.  I am not sure if I am worrying for nothing or if there is something you know that might help or if he is just telling me he is starting to sleep through the night without needing a feeding.  Any advice would be helpful!!

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Re: What's going on in this scenario?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 14:53:12 pm »
I'm not an expert but one thing that jumped out is that the amount she pumps is not a good indicator of what he's getting when he nurses since babies are much more efficient than a pump. Also, if he's playing happily and isn't bothered and is peeing and pooping normally I wouldnt worry. Seems like he's just switching up his feeds :)

[/url]

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: What's going on in this scenario?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 17:23:14 pm »
You can never tell how much a baby is taking in by how much you pump. I know for sure my DD will down 4oz in a bottle, so she's probably taking that much from me, but when I pump I can get maybe 2.5-3oz at a time. The pump is never as efficient as a baby. He may have just become more of an efficient eater or her supply is up and he doesn't need both sides. If he's happily playing and then goes back to sleep on his own I wouldn't worry. I would say if he's having 6-8 wet diapers a day and is happy and gaining weight then not to worry at all.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline lyssabz

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 18:44:16 pm »
Thank you so much ladies! That's what I was thinking, that he's becoming an efficient eater. Plus, he just went through a growth spurt so she's producing more.  I'll pass this all along to her!