Author Topic: 5 mo twins not eating enough  (Read 1412 times)

Offline matchaproblem

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 23, 2016, 21:24:17 pm »
Ok, I can't figure this one out.
We just had a checkup last Monday. The doc said at almost 20 weeks (in case it's useful, they were 3 weeks premature, so their adjusted age is almost 17 weeks) they should be taking a minimum of 30oz each day, between 5-6 feedings.

Mine are taking more like 18-20 oz.

They're in the 19th and 20th percentile for weight.

They're waking up 2-3x per night to feed EACH. But I can't seem to get them to take more during the day. (Admittedly, I have not tried not feeding them at night because I'm worried about their weight...) Anyway, I am exhausted and thinking they need more calories. Today, as an example, they looked like this.

Twin 2's schedule, for example, looked like this today/yesterday. This is all formula.

2:17 PM 4 oz
2:57 PM 3 oz
6:07 PM 3 oz
6:25 PM 3 oz
7:59 PM 5 oz
11:00 PM attempted dream feed <1oz
4AM - 4 oz
8:12 AM - 4 oz
10:45 AM - 6 oz
1:01 PM 1.0 oz
3:45 PM 2.0 oz

(Twin 1's schedule was pretty similar)

They take short little naps most of the time too- I have been scouring the archives here trying to figure this one out, but if anything jumps out, please holler at me.

ETA- they both spit up a lot, and Twin 2 was diagnosed with reflux when a younger baby. Neither fuss after feeding anymore though, so I assumed it had passed.

Using level 2 nipple
Using Gerber Soothe formula (they both also get about one nursing a day- it used to be 50/50 until this week when my milk mysteriously paused... but their eating habits don't seem to have changed.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 21:33:11 pm by matchaproblem »

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 5 mo twins not eating enough
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 22:20:25 pm »
Welcome to the boards! Are you familiar with the Baby Whisperer methods and EASY routine? It would be useful to know if you are as I will know which links to post for you!

The first thing I would do is increase the teat size - if their formula is like the easy digest UK formulas they tend to be a bit thicker than the ordinary first formulas so you should find the faster teat helps.

I would expect a 5 month old to be on a 4 hour EASY- so 4 hourly cycles of Eat, Activity and sleep. Could you post a typical day at the moment like this please with the eat and sleep times e.g

7 - wake and bottle (x oz)
9.30 - 11 sleep
11 Wake and bottle (x oz)
1.30 - 3pm Sleep
3pm wake and bottle (x oz)
5.30 - 6.15 catnap
6.30 Bed routine
7pm Bottle (x oz) and sleep

At the moment it looks like they are grazing or snacking and that means they aren't getting hungry enough to take a full feed. If the teat is too slow they won't be taking a proper feed too as they will get too tired. You may need to start stretching them and looking at the night feeds to get better day bottles in.

If you can give me some more details about their whole 24 hour routine I can give you some better help!

What do you think?

Laura