Author Topic: Catnapping - overtired cycle, how to break it?  (Read 13550 times)

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Catnapping - overtired cycle, how to break it?
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2016, 07:12:42 am »
Here's today,

6.30 - wake and feed
8.30 - top up
9 - sleep
9.35 - wake
10.30 - feed
12 - sleep - in car
13.05 - wake
2.15 - feed
2.40 - sleep - in car stationary at the time
3.50  - wake
5 - feed
6.10 - BT routine, feed plus 80 ml expressed milk
7pm - sleep - 15 mins to settle (PUPD)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2016, 07:26:57 am »
All those longer sleeps are in the car - is she waking when you stop or before/after you stop driving?

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2016, 07:43:01 am »
Usually she wakes after I've stopped. So yesterday morning she slept 30 mins in car and woke when I stopped at the pool (usually she doesn't as I just hang around the pool while she sleeps!) when she was asleep in the car post swimming I stopped to do food shopping (attached capsule to shopping trolley). She stayed asleep all though and she woke maybe 30 mins after the car stopped, I'd brought capsule into the house too and she stayed asleep.

Today the first car sleep, she was still alseep when we got to the park so popped capsule on buggy and she woke about 20 mins or so later...buggy wasn't moving all the time as we went to cafe for a coffee. Last car sleep, she woke maybe 15 mins after the car stopped.

There are sometimes she wakes before the car stops though.

The first car sleep wake up today she woke with a small cry. The second one, she had been awake in the car for about 20 mins before going to sleep then she woke after the sleep with big smiles.

She is capable of doing long sleeps in her bed as she did one Monday pm....I did noting different that day - other than her getting a two hour stroller sleep in the am....and she did one the Friday before last too.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:47:06 am by SarahE »

Offline becj86

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2016, 20:18:59 pm »
Ok, so what that suggests to me is that she may be wanting the movement or the noise of the engine or something to transition but since she's not waking immediately you stop, its not keeping her asleep, its just helping her transition, so that means that the nap times you're getting are still something that can be interpreted and help determine A time.

She is capable of doing long sleeps in her bed as she did one Monday pm....I did noting different that day - other than her getting a two hour stroller sleep in the am
This is actually an important observation - sleep begets sleep - a good first nap will give you the best chance at good naps for the rest of the day.

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2016, 21:42:25 pm »
I have tried replicating the Monday morning which was a stroller nap with her falling asleep at the 2 hrs A time mark but subsequent naps have been short after the first long one.

The shortest time she's slept in the stroller is 1 hr and it's tricky as to how far to go as she hates it when she's awake in it though as as it still needs to be reclines a bit as she isn't able to sit unassisted yet.

Just tried 2.20 - she was very upset at the 2.20 mark when we stayed her nap routine but managed eyes closed at the 2.20 mark but she woke after 35 and she's really upset...inconsolable now.

What would you suggest? I am wondering if we got it wrong and she is OT, and the 2 hrs I initially started with was took much? The last few days She gets fussy between 1.5 and 2 hrs after her nap. I guess even 2.20 is a long time to go off a 30-35 min nap...

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2016, 23:55:30 pm »
Just had second nap after 2.10 A time - she settled quicker than expected but woke crying after 25 mins. So would that suggest OT?

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2016, 08:35:58 am »
Here is today

6.15 wake and feed
8.35 - sleep
9.10 - wake
9.30 - feed
11.20 -  sleep
11.45 - wake
12.20 - feed
2.10 - sleep
2.45 - wake
3.30 - bath
3.45 - feed - half feed - sleepy
4.05 - sleep
4.35 - wake - finished feed - sleepy
4.45 - sleep - on me
5.55 - wake
6.10 - expressed milk
7.15 BT routine
8.00 - sleep

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2016, 21:04:15 pm »
I'm wondering if I should give it all a break....she woke at 3.10 and I resettled her - she was in her bed awake fell asleep unassisted. She woke then at 6a, so just planned to get her up for the day (she had gone to bed at 8.). She fell asleep part way through feeding on first side. I tried burping her to wake but she stayed asleep so popped her into bed - she slept for just over an hour, and woke at 7.30am. I offered same side again as knew she has not taken a full feed at 6 and her last fed prior to that was 7.15pm ish. She fell asleep again, but woke as I moved her. I offered her the other side and she hardly drank and then refused....this hasn't happened before....

In herself she is a bit quiet but has managed smiles....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:59:07 am by SarahE »

Offline becj86

« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2016, 05:45:42 am »
Could be a bit under the weather. I think the independent sleep is pretty important in knowing she can get through the sleep cycles on her own and makes her nap lengths more useful in interpreting.

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2016, 07:41:06 am »
She fed fine the rest of the day. We stuck to 2.20 A time. Had one hour nap in the stroller, then the rest were 30 mins.

Think she was overtired for bed as she kept waking crying every 5 mins for first 20-25 mins after bed and needed assistance with resettling. Usually once she's calm I leave her awake and she drifts off to sleep within 5-10 mins...

I'm wondering if I should feed at the 3 am ish wake up? I know they say try to resettle and if not they must be hungry...and that's what is stopping me doing it as she does resettle, mainly herself but sometimes needing a little assistance, but always leaving her awake to drift off...

Offline becj86

« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2016, 19:10:01 pm »
If she's settling in a short time (you're not up for and hour trying to get her back to sleep), I wouldn't start it. Is she pretty happy when she wakes at 3am? Could be that the first A time needs a little push.

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2016, 19:36:37 pm »
She just shuffles and makes a few loud exhales and a couple of whimpers...it's only occasionally I resettle her more often then not she does it herself.

Last night I didn't hear her at 3 but did at 1.30 and 2.30 then 6am. I left the 1.30 and 2.30 ones and she went back to sleep. More of a cry with the 6am one so I got her up to feed - she started falling asleep during first side so once she had finished popped her back in bed...took her 20 mins to stop shuffling and making noise. Checked on her about 40 mins later and she was awake sucking her thumb! I've not got her up yet (it's 7.35) as I'm just going to have a shower...but she's happy in her bed and very quiet.

Should I start the A time from when I get her out her bed or when I first noticed she was awake/still awake?

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2016, 02:55:16 am »
Today has been different, one 10 min naps , one 15 minand one 30 min nap...the 15 min was in the car and I waited I car at home for her to wake. The 10 min was in the stroller after every 2.20 A time. And the 30 min was after 2.15 A time...I'm soooo confused!

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2016, 09:02:23 am »
Very different day, about an hour and 40 mins after her 30 min nap she fell asleep for 2 hours and 20 mins!!?

Offline becj86

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2016, 19:54:44 pm »
Very different day, about an hour and 40 mins after her 30 min nap she fell asleep for 2 hours and 20 mins!!?
Of her own accord? Maybe 1:40 is an A time you could shoot for after a short nap and see if that can be replicated?