Author Topic: Catnapping - overtired cycle, how to break it?  (Read 13543 times)

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Catnapping - overtired cycle, how to break it?
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2016, 22:51:08 pm »
It was just after feeding, I helped resettle her as she woke a few times.

She was up this am at 5.45am as she woke at 5.15 (when I first heard her) and couldn't resettle her. I fed her and popped her on our bed to play. Was chatting to my hubby and looked back at her and she was asleep  that was 7.05... She slept til 7.50so 45 mins...

I tried 1 hr 40 after that for first nap...she looked a bit tired...rubbing eyes after her feed...she was quiet going into bed...usually she starts to cry when I put her sleep sack on. She was quite in her bed for 10 mins then cried and went hysterical. Even in my arms she didn't calm. I tried for 30 mins to settle her before getting her up. She's still up now so 3 hrs since waking. She's on my knee playing with her feet, and cooing....

Thinking of moving her to her cot and out our room in the next few weeks...will start with day naps.

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2016, 00:24:37 am »
So spotted her eyes rolling...so popped her to bed...there were tears but she went to sleep after approx 10 mins. She woke 30 mins later with a bit of a cry then is quiet, rubbing her eyes, little whimpers every now and then. She started calling out after 15 mins.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2016, 03:38:51 am »
Gosh, its so hard to know without seeing her, sorry.

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2016, 04:28:27 am »
I think I need to work on her self soothing for day naps. She's obviously able to at night. She'll do longer sleeps in car or stroller - so movement helps there.

I'm struggling this week with her falling asleep feeding in the arvo. We are doing 3 hrly as she could only do 4 once in am then would lead to meltdowns three hour later, then every 2 hrs til BT. Tried 3.5 but similar just not as bad. 3 hrly works in her not losing it and still taking a good feed however finding in the arvo if I feed within an hour of her next nap time she falls into a deep sleep. If I don't move her she will sleep a long sleep, if I transfer her she will wake after 30 mins.

I spent 2 weeks consistently having all naps in her bed which pretty much meant not going anywhere as we live rural to try and break any movement association or comfort from occasionally sleeping on me...but doesn't seem to have worked obv last week I started trying stroller naps in the am.

I'm really not sure what to do, feel like I don't know my baby anymore and maybe should just accept the 30 min naps and be thankful for good night sleeps....

Offline becj86

« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2016, 19:42:53 pm »
If you're feeling like that, it might be time to just go with the flow for a week or so and then work on resettling. If she has the skills, she will be able to do it one day. I think now you know her sleepy cues and hungry cues can be pretty similar, you can probably take a more relaxed approach of watching the clock til 2hr then watching her for tired cues (watch clock til 1:30 the watch her for tired cues if short naps). I think its worth feeding on WU from each nap, even if its been a little less than 3hr so you're not in that situation of wondering if she's hungry or tired.

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2016, 20:09:38 pm »
Good idea. I'll give that a go! Thanks for your help!

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2016, 02:20:06 am »
Hey becj86...

Think we are making progress. Had a 2 hour 20 min nap Sunday, 2x 1.5 and a 45 min nap Monday, a 45 min and 2 hr nap Tuesday and so far today, 45 mins and 1 hour 35 mins 😊

Offline becj86

« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2016, 09:10:54 am »
Wow, that is indeed progress :) Are you feeling more relaxed about it?

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2016, 21:57:12 pm »
Absolutely even when we have the occasional early night wake at 2 am!

We are feeding on demand as she only put on 300g in last 5 weeks - apparently That's a bit low, and we have moving to set naps, give or take 30 mins.

So we are up 7/7.30, we nap at 9/9.30, 12.30/1 and 4/4.30 with bed 6.45/7.15.  ;D