Author Topic: The elimination diet- anyone done before?  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
The elimination diet- anyone done before?
« on: June 28, 2016, 23:10:24 pm »
I'm about to start the TED and will go to the grocery store tomorrow to pick up what I need. Anyone know exactly what I can have? Right now I have:

Rice milk
Rice
Rice cakes- plain
Sunflower butter
Chicken
Rice cereal
Pears
Apples
Sweet potatoes

Anything I can add or need to take away?
Thank you so much!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 19:37:54 pm by Mandy.kamal »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 08:24:13 am »
Can I ask what is TED honey:)?
~Marta

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: TED advice
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:24:23 am »
Total Elimination Diet??

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 00:21:23 am »
Sorry!! Yes, total elimination diet

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 18:51:49 pm »
Sorry - never been on that diet - are there many online resources? There must be forums etc to offer advice and support?

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 08:09:37 am »
I've read up but there are different approaches. Was curious if anyone here had experience.
Thank you though!! X

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 18:10:35 pm »
I wonder if you change the title of the thread you might get some more responses?
If you "modify" your first post you can change the title - then "save".  I would put "total elimination diet"

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 01:16:44 am »
mandy,
I did TED and eventually a modified version, but I started with potato, rice, lettuce, avocado, with seasoning. I added zucchini, corn, pork, the following weeks, then pears. Then chicken, sweet potato somewhere along there. Eventually added more fruits (one by one), and then more veggies. I got desperate between adding food so I wasn't truly strict... instead of waiting the usual 3-4 days between food, I waited maybe 2. DS's gas and colic got better, but it also could've been the medicine and just time.

TBH, it was miserable and I cried so much during it... along with struggling with the newborn stage and little support, it was a really low point. But, we got through it and DS did great with solids.

Holding your hand if needed!

Oh, the apples and sunflower butter I would hold and add those one at a time. But it's up to you! I went backwards many times.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 18:46:45 pm »
Thank you both so much. I've been doing a modified version as well. Honestly, my supply keeps dropping so my focus has been on getting my supply back and then focus in on allergies and diet.

I've fully eliminated dairy, wheat and soy and most all corn products. Oh and peanut butter. It's  not really changing much of her issues. Less mucus in her stool though!

Ginger, thank you for sharing your story as well. I think time has a lot to do with it. We are slowly starting her on solids now so I'm hoping all goes well.

These tiny ones sure are tricky!! I'm just tired of the NWs and ready for some sleep!

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
Re: The elimination diet- anyone done before?
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 19:40:09 pm »
If mucus stool, reflux and lots of night wakings are my only symptoms with her, is it worth doing the diet or probably not allergy related?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 18:06:06 pm »
Hi - it is a tricky one. At that age NWs could be for so many reasons. If total eliminating ALL milk and soy isn't affecting her reflux then that to me would indicate that she isn't MSPI or at least the reflux isn't related - as I understand it 50% of Los with reflux are also MSPI. A few years ago there were a few mums here that were doing TED diets (or similar) and i do remember one sating that a bit of mucous isn;t worth doing a TED for but with all the symptoms you mention it might be worth it? Is she happy in herself?

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 10:19:50 am »
We got DS's stool tested a couple times along the way for blood, and I kept the diet as long as there was mucous and blood in his stool. I just looked back at my logs and we sure did have a lot of short sleeps, nws, and exacerbated reflux/vomiting depending on what I ate.

What does your pediatrician say? It might be worth trying to find the big triggers now? How is LO doing overall?

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 12:36:08 pm »
I didn't do TED but a modified version. No dairy or soy for DS and no dairy for DD2. For DS I had to be much more strict and scrutinize ingredients in EVERYTHING for hidden traces of dairy or soy and my diet was very limited. For DD2 i could eat trace amounts of dairy and soy didn't seem to bother her. DS was much harder to transition to solid food and his reflux was definitely related to foods that bothered him but I think also exacerbated by teething, colds, etc.

I will caution that with eliminating so much with DS I got a lot of canker sores on my mouth and was fairly miserable. With DD2 I was much happier and healthier feeling. I did make sure to take vitamins and a calcium supplement with DD which I hadn't with DS. My doctor didn't connect my mouth ulcers to my diet even though I had shared what I was doing but in hindsight I truly believe I had depleted my body of what it needed more than I should have. All that is to say to please be careful.

I also used fenugreek, made sure to drink water and ate oatmeal to keep supply up. That did seem to help.

Best of luck!