Author Topic: Too young/ not ready to drop nap  (Read 989 times)

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Too young/ not ready to drop nap
« on: June 29, 2016, 12:27:36 pm »
Lo is 22mo and sleeps well at night - we leave him awake. Lately he's been resisting sleep for his day nap. We can leave him in the cot for over an hour and he either plays - occasionally gets upset sometimes calls and calls, sometimes (I think!) actually sleeps. I used to close the door - now I leave it open. He sleeps from 6:30 pm till about 6:30am. He definitely needs the sleep - he's OT without it. (Only actually not slept twice.) ???

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Too young/ not ready to drop nap
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 12:41:18 pm »
Hi have you tried starting his nap later?  Some LOs still manage a decent BT even with a later nap. Mine had a 2-4pm nap which is really late in the day.  Maybe put him down for nap later but cap it at a set time when you know he needs to be up to retain BT?

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 18:11:28 pm »
Yes! Thanks so much - I have been trying that though - he usually slept 11/12 then lunch. So I have been trying lunch then sleep 1-2:30-3. I'll keep at it and see what happens :)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 19:07:25 pm »
It usually takes a bit of time for a new routine to settle down, maybe just try a bit longer and see how things go.
It may also be that he needs more physical exercise to tire his body before he can sleep, I do remember a phase like that before naps and for a long time we had lots of physical activity between dinner and BT because he needed to get rid of his energy then too - although sounds like yours is settling very well at night :)
If he misses a nap completely I would suggest an early BT, maybe 5.30 rather than 6.30pm.

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 19:32:40 pm »
Thanks so much! Yes! Early to bed yesterday and busy morning today = good nap. It's winter here so can get a bit cabin feverish if not careful ;)

Bless you,
Karla

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 13:39:48 pm »
Oh yes, winter can be hard. have you seen this thread with some ideas for physical activity indoors?
We have had various physical things we've loved (lots of marching and playing instruments, lots of chase in the house, wrestling/rough housing which is brilliant for bonding too, and I made an indoor kind of circuit training board game thing which was great for a while too)...
ah..I see the thread changed when I wasn't looking, it is now this one and the original thread is linked at the bottom. Looks like it's all been put into one lovely list - easier to read :)
Indoor activity ideas for those cold winter days

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 19:09:55 pm »
thanks!!!