Author Topic: Night wakings in almost 5 month old  (Read 6094 times)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Night wakings in almost 5 month old
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2016, 20:46:19 pm »
Ok still needing help and encouragement with A times.  Is it ok to cover that here since we've been talking about that on this thread?  Im putting her down at 2.15 or at least as close to it as I can get her.  she falls asleep within 1-2 minutes and sleeps about 30 mins at which point I go in with paci and after 5-20 mins she's usually back to sleep.  I'm struggling on pushing the A time further than thus because she's so miserable already by the time I get her down but will do it if you all think I should!  (I need encouragement on this because I'm always doubting!)
And can I just push the first A time and leave the rest where they're at (2.15-2.20)?  My guess is yes based on comments above but just checking!  As the first A time gets longer how do I keep the day the same length?  Make the A time before the 3rd nap less?  Thanks and sorry for so many questions!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 08:11:10 am »
What's your day looking like now? and how old is she?

How is she when she wakes from that short nap? Usually an OT nap wouldn't take 20min to resettle unless she's really upset - I would think 5min would be reasonable if not long for resettling an OT waking. Its hard to know whether to push without seeing your EASY and knowing how she's behaving when waking at 30 min but probably worth pushing the first A time that little bit - if she can't do a long A time off a night sleep, when can she?

What's your concern re: length of day? It won't always be the same and around 6 months, the day just naturally gets a bit longer and shrinks back down to ~12hr when the catnap goes.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 16:47:10 pm »
Well scratch all that!  LOL things really do happen fast at this age...
We've had a small amount of early night wakings and early risings the last 2 nights and all of a sudden she's not begging to be put down at 2 hours anymore.  Got her just over 2.20 she went down easy (she usually fusses) and was hard to resettle.  Will try push her to 2.30 tomorrow!  I'm sure I'll be back with more questions or at least an update!  Thank you again. Really appreciate the support and advice!

Offline becj86

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 19:43:45 pm »
Happy days :) Keep us posted.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2016, 21:57:14 pm »
Ok is this OT or UT?  We had a messy morning of waking early and going back to sleep for short periods of time (first 10 mins then 40 mins) so morning A time was way off.  She slept great however, had to resettle once with paci at 30 mins but she slept over 2 hours before I woke her to feed her.  Did an A time of 2.5 for second nap and she woke after 10 mins and wouldn't resettle.  Is it possible she was so OT she was amped?  Or is this UT? This is only day 2 of pushing the A time to 2.5 hours, so hard to believe she needs more.  Still had an early waking of 5:40 and took forever to resettle her but it might have been reflux and also possible teeth... So hard to know!

Offline becj86

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2016, 22:51:27 pm »
10mins is most likely OS or pain, maybe a jolt as she was still getting properly into sleep. Its quite possible the A time still needs a push.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2016, 17:34:58 pm »
Looks like teeth!  White patches on lower gum area where bottom teeth come in.  😊

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2016, 16:10:54 pm »
Ok now she's not resettling after a 2.5 hr morning A time and she's also not resettling easily after her early morning feed.  Yesterday she slept through till 5:30 which was amazing but she never really resettled.  Today she slept till 3:45, also good, but then took an hour to get back down only to wake at 5:50 and not go back down.  She's chatty and restless during these times.  Her next leap isn't supposed to start for 3 more days but maybe she started early?  Do I try to tweak?  Just go with it???

Offline becj86

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2016, 20:06:22 pm »
Sorry, really struggling to get a picture of the day - can you write out in EAS format?

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2016, 21:22:52 pm »
Sure!  We had a near perfect day and I seemed to have just gotten A times down:
Wake 7:15
A 2.5
Sleep 7:45-11:05 (woke at about 25 mins and resettled with paci easily)
A 2h25m
Sleep 1:30-3:20 (woke after 30 mins and resettled easily again)
A 2h5m
Sleep 3:50-4:15
A 2h10m
Sleep 7:40 pm-5:30 am never really settled after 5:30

Since then I've only extended one afternoon nap and that was a challenge.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2016, 22:04:52 pm »
Today has been:
Wake 5:50 after sleeping 10h45m (woke once at 4 and was hard to resettle after feeding) wouldn't resettle at 5:50
A 2.5
S 8:20-9 wouldn't resettle
A 2h20m
S 11:20-12:05 wouldn't resettle
A 2h15m
S 2:20-2:50 wouldn't resettle
Now I'm stuck trying to fit a 4th nap in and not have her total A time be 11-12 hours...

UPDATE: she resettled for nap 3 after 20 mins and slept till 4:30.  In crib for bed at 6:25, fell asleep 4 times but kept waking up needing the paci, which is not typical unless UT, OT or OS. She finally fell asleep at 7:30, 3 hours after she woke from her nap.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:24:56 am by Tabathagucci »

Offline becj86

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2016, 08:16:49 am »
Yep, so I think that shows she's become used to 2.5hr A and you're still getting the too-early first nap early WU and the 40min naps, so time to increase again. Being a few days from the next leap - she's nearly 6 months now?

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2016, 12:20:05 pm »
She's only 5 months 10 days.  As I write (it's 5 am) she's chatting in her crib after sleeping through till 4:15 and now can't get back to sleep.  She's fallen asleep 3 times (both on me and in crib) and keeps waking up. My presence seems to only get her going, whereas before it would help soothe her, so I've left and she seems to be settling.
I'm really wondering if the leap started early (we're now 2 days away and it's supposed to last 4 weeks).  I can try to push A time again tomorrow and see how it goes!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2016, 12:26:04 pm »
Not sure I'll be able to push A time as I may not have a solid wake up time.  She's atill chatting away at 5:25 so pretty much been mostly awake since 4:15.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2016, 13:57:27 pm »
 She ended up going back to sleep for a little while but woke again at 6:20. Will try to push naptime to 9!