Author Topic: Is this linked to separation anxiety?  (Read 1462 times)

Offline ecwinters

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: July 05, 2016, 14:36:23 pm »
I just have a quick question which I wondered if someone could help with please? DS is 15 months and I think has separation anxiety for the first time (properly). He used to be happy with either me or DH but in the last 3 weeks it's been mama mama and crying if I leave the room even if DH is there!

In the last few days he's started to try and get more milk - I'm still breastfeeding him when he wakes up in the morning, before bed and after his afternoon sleep but he used to be fine going to bed with a beaker of milk too and if I wasn't there when he woke from his afternoon sleep he'd be happy with water and a snack. But now if I don't get him up he screams until I come - also he's wants milk before I put him down for his afternoon sleep too - which he's never had before! If I try and distract him with books/toys etc. or offer water he just screams and screams. He is having a short morning sleep too still and it's the same with this one - he wants milk before the sleep.

I think it's related to the separation anxiety perhaps - or maybe it's a control thing as he's really into what he wants to do at the moment!! He knows where the milk is and how to get it! I'm not sure what to do as I feel mean refusing him milk but equally don't want it to get so it becomes a routine thing before a sleep. And I definitely don't want him waking in the night and needing milk to go back to sleep! He sleeps through really well and I don't want to upset that!

Do you think I should just go with it and give him milk - do you know if this is a normal phase which he'll grow out of? Or would you advise me to try not to give him milk even if it involves screaming? DH could try putting him down for some of his sleeps to see if that stops it, but he can't do all of them so I need to come up with a plan!

Many, many thanks for any advice. 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Is this linked to separation anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 22:11:40 pm »
Will he fall asleep if you BF him right before sleep?

If you're happy to do it then I'd just offer it then. Maybe away from the bedroom if you're worried about him getting a prop.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ecwinters

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 13:15:16 pm »
He won't fall asleep while feeding.  I'm happy to give him the milk but yes, I'm worried about it becoming a sleep prop.  But perhaps I'm worrying too much!?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 18:43:38 pm »
I wouldn't worry especially if he won't fall asleep.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011