Author Topic: Giving up the paci  (Read 1020 times)

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Giving up the paci
« on: July 12, 2016, 00:14:34 am »
DS2 is 2.5 and his dentist told us we gotta get rid of the paci ASAP especially because he would never use anything other than the 0-6 month MAMs which are way too small for his mouth.

We have been telling him its going to happen and he says okay but he still holds that paci in his mouth as long as possible and always asks for it before nap or bed.

DS3 is going to be taking over his room this weekend and he will be moving in with his older brother. Do you think moving rooms and giving up the paci are too much for one time? I thought we could call it the "big boy room" and say no pacis allowed but I don't want him to hate his new room. He seems excited to room with DS1.

I think the paci fairy is going to come after night 1 with lots of gifts as this I think will be a HUGE deal for my paci loving kid.

Offline dache

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Re: Giving up the paci
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 08:06:53 am »
Generally,  I`d say take it one step at a time but you have to do it asap so I think that you have a good opportunity there and you`ve thought this trough and you have a good plan.
For what is worth, you are not alone.  DD also has a paci for nap and bt and we`ve talked about giving her pacis to babies that need them. What I`ve noticed is that she made a hole in one of the paci and she refused that one. So I plan to use that as leverage. :D Make a hole and tell her that the magic or whatever is gone and it`s time to send them away.

Offline Luciagerard

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 19:26:00 pm »
My son dropped it at 26 months. He is super fan of the garbage truck in the street so we used to keep telling him we would one day give the dummy away to the men on the truck and they would give him a big toy!
One day it was him who heard the garbage truck out in the street and shouted to give it the dummy
So I thought, " do it now"
We did like if we were throwing it away and the the men gave him a big garbage truck toy!
He was so happy.... Until  naptime and bedtime  arrived. He cried for 30 min each time wanting his dummy he even said he was going to give the toy back...but I said we couldnt do that.... It was hard for me not to give it back but I had to stay strong!!!!
He only cried does two times the first day, and the second day he didnt even ask for the dummy, and never again...

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 01:37:47 am »
Thanks! I know there will be tears and its going to break my heart but I know we will get through it or at least I hope!

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 15:15:39 pm »
Hi,
just wanted to add that you need to explain it 100 times before it will be ok.

I personally loved the idea when a friend of mine flew the paci with a balloon (so the kid had to let go by himself) and they made a huge thing of it. With a party and a cake :)
Good luck!

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 18:30:22 pm »
I personally loved the idea when a friend of mine flew the paci with a balloon (so the kid had to let go by himself) and they made a huge thing of it. With a party and a cake :)  Good luck!

I love this. We plan to make something to mark it, something to make it definite so that when she asks for it we remind of it. This sounds like a great idea. Well done for your friend.A win at parenthood.

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 20:09:53 pm »
Yeah, it was a wonderful idea. Plus I remember her saying something like "but we don't have the pacifier in the house, you let it go with the balloon yourself, remember?" Sounded like it was LO's idea in the first place ;]

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 17:54:53 pm »
It went well last night, he didn't ask for it once or get up crying for it BUT it's nap time and he is exhausted so we will see...he did ask for it once today and I said remember you put them in a bag for the paci fairy and she took them last night. Last night we also moved him rooms so him and his older brother are pooped. Hoping the rest of the nights go like last night!