Author Topic: 9 month old night feeding  (Read 794 times)

Offline Ruby86

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 06, 2016, 21:28:48 pm »
wasn't really sure where to post this but basically my 9 months old daughter still doesn't sleep through the night completely. She is formula fed and this is a rough EASY

E wakes at 6am, breakfast 7am bottle (6oz) 8:30/9am
A
S 9:30am (this normally lasts 1:15-1:30 but occasionally she does go 2 hours)
E lunch 11:30/12
A
S 2pm - 2:30 (maximum 1:15 hours sleep time)
E when she wakes so between 3/3:30 (6oz)
A
E dinner at 5/5:30
A bath
E bottle right before bed at 6:30/6:45 (6oz)
S 7pm

She then wakes between 10pm-11pm for another bottle (this one is 7oz)

She then wakes around 3/4am which I do try to not feed her straight away but past few nights has got really angry, crying and pushing me away at some points (have been wondering if she is teething). So I tend to give her a bottle at this point, if she goes back to sleep without at bottle it will be a bottle at 5/5:30am (this will only be a 4oz bottle as I don't think she needs it)

Would like some advice as to whether you think she does need this 4oz bottle or if I should try and wean her off of it?

She does always seem to be teething lately with a tooth actually coming through. We've had 4 teeth come through in 7 weeks or so.

Any helps would be appreciated.

FYI - in terms of going to sleep I soothe her for about 5 minutes while holding and as she starts to close her eyes I lay her down she rolls over to get herself comfy and that is about it. If I don't do this and lay her down fully awake she just starts playing around and standing up and just laughing.

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: 9 month old night feeding
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 20:27:53 pm »
Around this age I started weaning both of mine off all night feeds as they were well established on solids and I wanted a less broken night!
DD actually self-weaned but I had to gradually cut back on DS' feeds.

I BF so it might be different but both of mine have needed 4 milk feeds in the day. Is formula different. Just wondering if an extra day feed would help wean off your night feeds?

As for the 4oz bottle, it sounds like the stretch from 11-morning is long for her & she might need something to get to morning but I wonder whether you could push that 10-11 feed later (or gradually reduce it) so you can get down to just one NF?

With DD I held off the 10/11 feed as long as I could and she gradually started waking later and later for it.
With DS I needed to decrease the amount he took (length of time he fed) gradually over a few nights. I've heard of people making smaller bottles OT watering down more for same effect.
For both of mine this got us to 1 NF which we then weaned off too.

What do you think?

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 9 month old night feeding
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 21:24:14 pm »
Her formula intake is on the low side with the three day time bottles - she takes 7oz at the DF so are you only offering 6oz in the day or is that all she will take?

If you can get more o in her during the day you can cut back on the late evening feed and that early morning feed. If she is getting enough formula in daytime she really doesn't need it at night at this age. The minimum they need is 20oz, most babies are on 24-32oz of milk with solids, so if you can increase those 3 daytime bottles to 8oz each that would be enough.

My DD was on 3 daytime bottles plus a nightfeed by 8 months and we dropped the nightfeed around 8.5 months (she didn't take a DF). We reduced the bottle by 1oz every 3 nights to allow her to get used to less in her stomach gradually then resettled once she was done. By the tine she got down to about 3oz she slept through one night so we stopped offering a bottle when she woke. She wasn't too thrilled for a few nights but quickly got the idea that it was resettling only and stopped waking.

I would stop that 5.30 feed first, as if she is having milk at that time it could have an impact on her wake up bottle and you need to increase those day time bottles. I would try reducing gradually. I personally think that reducing volume is better than watering formula down as they are still getting a full tummy and you want them to learn not to need that.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline Ruby86

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 10:20:26 am »
Hi thanks for the reply.

I gave her 6oz as was giving 7oz but she would struggle to take even 6 but just about managed it.

Just to make sure i have this Right. So i should give her 8oz bottles 3 times a day? No feeds after 7pm until like 6am?

The 10/11pm feed isn't actually a DF she always wakes for a feed so should I just try and settle her and if she refuses to settle gradually decrease the anount offered over tome? Same with the between 3-5am feed? Yes I prefer to decrease rather than water down also.

I do wonder if I give her too much water though. She has water with every solid feed and throughout the day. It usually amounts to between 10-15oz water a day. Is that too much?

I tried 8oz this morning and managed to get her to take 7oz but it was a struggle and it took 30 minutes