Author Topic: 12 mo fighting naps and bedtime/ SA  (Read 853 times)

Offline BeccaWC

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 07, 2016, 01:49:42 am »
Hi, new to this site but used PU/PD with my DS around 9 mos with success.
DS was a preemie, so he is 15 mo adj/ 12 mo actual, told in the past to use his adjusted age for sleep training.
He has never been consistent with nap lengths, never consistent with wake-up times, and still wants milk every 3 hours (I alternate with almond milk so as not to go over the 24 oz/day pediatrician suggested limit) but I do my best to get him plenty of other food groups and he is a good eater. He is very adventurous and loves to explore new places. He is usually very independent, especially outside of the home, but lately, he cries at the baby gate every time I leave the room. He has been squirming and flailing when we lie down and cuddle before I put him down for a nap much more than he did before, so I have pretty much had to put him straight into the crib and the shushing/singing etc is not working anymore. Today it took 1.5 hours to get him down for his first nap and 1 hour at bedtime. HELP!!!!

Routine is:
5/5:30 wake/6oz milk, back to sleep
6/7 wake for the day, breakfast
8/9 6 oz milk and nap (usually 2 hrs after he wakes up)- always fluctuates but typically 1- 1.5 h
10ish wake, snack, play
12ish 6 oz bottle
~play, walk, errand, etc until next nap
3ish 6 oz bottle and nap (usually shorter, 45 min/ 1 hour)
4ish play until DH gets home,
6ish eat dinner together followed by last 6 oz bottle
~tv and wind-down time
8 bedtime routine, sleep

I know this is very loose but he, as I said, has never been consistent with sleeping times although PU/PD worked well for us. Also, it's summer and we are often out and about and he falls asleep in the car sometimes. It is just so difficult because as much as I try to keep a schedule with him, he is unpredictable!

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: 12 mo fighting naps and bedtime/ SA
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 19:49:31 pm »
Hi and welcome to BW!

It sounds like your DS is starting the 2-1 transition.  Have you had a look at this link?
From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

The first nap is quite early/soon after waking for his age. If it's taking him that long to settle, I would consider not trying to start it until later.  Normally we suggest increasing the time to the nap in small 15min increments, but given his age and how long it took to get the nap, I would try just jumping to a nap 3.5 hrs after waking. 
Hopefully you'll get a long one, then you will need to start 2nd nap later but cut it short to get a decent time for BT and avoid the resistance to settle. E.g. If you get a 6.30 Wu, nap 10-11.30, then you might do another nap 4-4.30 and BT at 8pm again.

A later first nap might also help push that early Wu for milk a bit later too.

Again given his age, You might find you need to keep gradually pushing that first nap later & CN later and shorter until eventually you're down to one nap, but it's a gradual process. Have a read of the link and see what you think.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 19:51:57 pm by Scottishmummy »
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD